About to lose my job and About to hit the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitronical

Reaction score
Hello tribe friends.   Let me take a moment to introduce myself.  My Name is Peter, I'm 39 years young and about to lose my job as the Full time mailman/ print shop worker at a Community college in St. Louis Missouri.  My job is being outsourced due to state budget cuts that has affected Missouri schools.  This has been my full time income for most of my adult working life.  I do not have kids and have never been married. 
Let me tell you what I do have.  I have endless oppertunities to find out where my life is headed, but I have some concerns as I'm sure most people do. 
I am very interested in discovering myself and am scared to take the leap of faith to find out.  When my job ends I will be given 2 final paychecks. one for my saved up vacation leave which will equal about 5 weeks of work and I plan to cash out my NCERP retirement fund.  This should leave me with about 11 thousand in the bank.  My lower milage 2005 silverado is completely paid off, I have about 5000 dollars in credit card debt and I own a 2017 Winnebago 2106FBS Travel Trailer that I am 2+ years into a 10 year loan and I owe more then it's worth.  I also have 13K in an IRA invested in the stock market currently.  So I have some savings to cash out on to get me started on my new life.

I have watched many of Bob's videos and a lot of them are very reassuring that I will get through this transition but there are some areas that leave me with many questions.  I am very concerned with finding free places to live for extended periods of time.  My parents live in Tucson AZ and while I do not know the state very well it's nice to know that I will be close to family out west.  My parents have assured me that they can deposit 1000 dollars a month to float me until I get back on my feet and can provide for myself again.  So While this is a "paycut" compared to what I am use to living on I think with the help of this community I can make this work. 
My biggest question is what is the very best solution to finding dispersed camping that I will be able to pull my 21.6 foot trailer into?  I've watched lots of tours of camper vans/ class B's, truck bed campers, ect, and very generic vids of places to disperse camp but not much concrete.  I've looked up places Bob has mentioned but on the official websites dispersed camping is either very scarce (maybe 5 sites per place) or by 2019 they are no longer available at all.  
My  cell phone plan only allows  for 2GB per month of data so my searching is very limited before I start getting charged 15 dollars per gig currently.  I guess I'd like to start off by asking what is the best single method for finding free places to camp?  I am interested in continuing  my education in photography and am interested in taking an 8 week course in solar panel instalation my local community college is offering.  Other then those 2 things I'm not really sure what to do with myself at this point other then rediscovering myself.  
Currently I am planning on leaving the Travel trailer at home and just taking off for a month or so with my truck and some camping gear to start to answer some of the questions I have about where to even go but this may very well be a very poor discission on how to start spending the limited money I have even though it sounds exciting.  
With the TT hooked up I get about 10 MPG and without I get about 20 MPG, so any move I make will really start to deplete my saving in gas, god forbid I spend a dime going to a KOA or a camp ground.  
One thing I am very interested in is becoming a camp host.  I am an Eagle Scout and have loved camping my entire life.  I've looked into the state parks in my state (Missouri) and as far as I can tell they do not pay, only offer a free site.  So while the experience may have value, it offers me nothing as far as income is concerned which I find discouraging.  
Does anyone here have ANY advice for me for my current situation?
Thank you in advance!  I have studied more into the nomadic life then I have mentioned but most of my studies have led me not to dead ends but things I don't want to do (IE. thousand trails, ect).
Thank you in advance to taking time out of your lives to help me.

scary yet exciting.....hey free camping as a host and you might develop contacts.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your job but wish you well on your new phase of life and hope it brings you much joy.

However I do caution you about discussing your exact financial situation with a lot of strangers in any public forum. While it might work for some for others it can bring a great deal of trouble. So the advice is be a little more reserved about discussing your personal finances with strangers. Future potential employers also read forums and first impressions are important and they do want to have employees who exercise discretion in talking about finances.

There is a workcamper site and even a magazine they put out. I believe they list many pay opportunities as camp hosts.

Some people work for a couple of months a year for Amazon and there is also the beet harvest and security for the oil fields.

HI
sorry about your job disappearing! like wildbill said, all this is scary and super exciting at the same time :)

don't discount a campground, while you did say you won't pay for a private campground (and I get that), you could get a real income paying job at one, plus a free site to boot so it is a possible work and living possibility to you. just sayin'

cashing out retirement, IRA etc. is gonna hit you with monster penalty at your age. I would think long and hard before using any of that money IF IN ANY way you can find a way around never using it.

It is super wonderful your parents can help for a bit.

freecampsites.com is one site that lists possible places.
the COE (Corps of Engineers) site also has every state listed along with what camping is available.
I use this site sometimes...…….. https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/
truck stops and rest areas are wonderful for a few days rest when traveling. not to live :) but if needed they provide a good stop for a day or 2 etc if really needed.
can't remember the name....is it Harvest Hosts?.....someone else might chime in but it is free camping on some farms and such.

just some suggests that might help ya :) take what ya can from what is listed and hope some of it gives you some info.

best of luck to you :)

Might take advantage of free WiFi locations to stretch out your 2G, such as libraries, coffee shops, fast food, etc..

COE campgrounds are very nice, but do charge a fee.

Harvest Hosts does offer free overnights, but there is a membership fee and one is expected to purchase some of whatever the Host is offering, be that wine, produce, golf, etc.

There are always WalMarts for overnights on the road, too.

Good luck to you.

Many state wildlife areas have staging areas for hunting and fishing that you can stay free overnight especially in Kansas and Missouri I believe. Coolworks.com has listings for paying jobs as it is sort of a clearing house for most major employers of rec and seasonal workers. Excapees.com will have mail, forums and some of the lower priced monthly fees for parking, much better and cheaper than a KOA and sometimes paying maintenance/host positions. I would think twice about cashing in a state or county retirement especially if it has any health benefits that could in the future come with it. If it affects your Social Security benefits them maybe but health insurance will be your biggest concern unless you are a veteran. Good luck!!!

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :)

So sorry to hear about your bad luck with your working life.   Just remember though,  as one door closes others open but you do have to look for them.  It's not comfortable at all and rather like seeing yourself die a small death and then having to be reborn.  The up side right now is the US is has been creating jobs and the opportunities are there. 

Long ago Mark Twain who went thru numerous jobs and reinventions of himself and remarked back then that modern men do not have the opportunity to get away from their work and get a new perspective on life.  (He was pointing out how the industrial revolution with it the "seniority system" that appeared to serve working men and women by equitably holding their place...tended to retain their training, experience, specialized skills sets, and have their seniority serving the company more than themselves)  Twain noted that only if the company closed did these same men (and women) have the opportunity to find better working and living situations in other parts of the country.   This was in the 1890's.   130 years ago.  But every generation has to learn this for themselves. 

I've spent plenty of time on the road in an old Ford Van to find work in my career field in the past.  I evolved a system for it then which you can read about it by clicking on my Avatar (eDJ_ Black Cat,,,,Felix Boheme)  It served me well back then and people today can do similar either to find work or to just.......get that new perspective. 

I created a couple of websites (below) that sort of showcase setting up a rig and how to go on the road and find their way about in safety and convenience.  These are to serve as a starting point.  Do spend some time in these sites....after all it's all free.

Others here can help you too.   

All the best !

Welcome to the CRVL forums Peter! I agree with bullfrog - do not cash out your retirement fund unless it's absolutely necessary. Businesses in tourist areas often need summer employees. Check Coolworks and similar sites for a temporary job so that you can pay down your debt and work on paying off your trailer. Here are a couple of sources for free camping: https://freecampsites.net/
https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/find/places?activity[]=21139
Good luck with your journey wherever it may lead you!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I would also advise you not to cash out either one (your retirement fund or your IRA).  The main reason is both are pretty much untouchable in a bankruptcy if it ever comes to that.  

$13,000 in a IRA could grow to $50,000 or more by the time you hit 60.   I had a $1700 IRA that I kept from a former employer in 2001 and today it is $118,000 (I sort of beat the market returns most years though).

Pretend like you don't have access to those funds.   What would you do right now if all you had was the vacation pay, extra two checks and your vehicle?  Start from there.    You should be eligible for some sort of unemployment benefit for the next several months too...pursue that.

As others have said.
Do not cash out either or any of your retirement plans! You don’t need the money now and the taxes and such are too great.
You have no idea how much you will eventually hate yourself for making such moves.

You have money for gas and food and likely enough clothes, cookware and bedding for a lifetime.
If you want to spend money get the paper/book big USA map from Walmart (Rand McNally?) with all the Walmart and Sams clubs listed with addresses and phone #
Start driving

Digitronical said:
Hello tribe friends.  

welcome my fellow Eagle. you got the skills and fortitude to get through this. not just to get through it but to come out the other end thriving.

this is a big upcoming change, dont let it trip you up and make quick decisions. starting over around 40 can be a shocker. but not the end of the world.

the short answer to your question is, there is no single best way to find free campsites.

the closest there would be to that is experience doing it. but you got to use all sorts of tips tricks and...

the couple of free camping websites are a good start, there are printed books on "free and cheap" camping ( i was just looking at a friends book as we crossed paths in our travels. i found 3 or 4 free campsites i had never heard of with in a couple ours of where we were and this is my stomping grounds) there are apps and online resources for finding public land, that is a start as lots of that allow dispersed camping. this next one is kinda a chicken and egg thing, ya know which comes first. many of my campsite i find while out traveling are from talking with other campers and local. even the cops, ihad a trooper from your stat stop to check on me down south while i was cooking breakfast. we ended up talking and sharing pictures for over an hour. and he gave me 2 sweet free campsite on a lake with fishing and kayaking. also just keep an open and exploritory mind. i have been cruising down the road, seen a sign that caught my eye "such n such springs, 11 mi that way" so i turned off i found the area but it took talking to a local to find out i had to swim across the river to get to the springs. he also shared a free camp just around the corner and a few other spots along my route

you dont mention your current living situation, rental apartment or house? how long do you have to give notice?

are your current monthly core expenses so over whelming you have not choice but to go on the road?

i would caution make quick decisions now, that if they dont work out will be costly to recover from. like spending retirement money now. unless going on the road is something you have always wanted to do, staying put and finding another job may be wise. especially in the short term. at your age, with no mention disabilities should have no problem finding some work. enough to get you by for a while. especially if you cut way back on non-essential things. move into a cheaper rent situation, find a room mate. doing this can give you some time to see how things go. you might find anther job that works out better for you in many ways.

go into the local unemployment office and ask for help, not just a hand out in the way of money. but they can help you with finding what skills you have and matching you up with job types. they can often help with placement. they may be able to recommend some further education that may help you get a better job. there are a lot of resources out there, use them before you throw in the towel.

if you really want or need to go mobile, know that your current scenario is not well set up for cheap rv living. the payments on the travel trailer, not sure how much that is but that is a big one. to travel with the trailer is going to cost a lot in fuel. burnning up your savings or counting on the folks is only going to go so far.

you are going to need some income, maybe see if you can find a "trailer space" you can rent to park your trailer and live in while you find some work and figure out how to earn money. most places their are cheap rv parks with monthly rates or some one with a side yard that will rent you space cheap. then at least you dont have the stress of constantly looking for new camp spots when you need to be focused on figuring out some income. also paying some rent to live in your trailer will probably work out the same or cheaper than driving all over looking for spots.

if you find a spot to rent, pick up some work and get stabilized then if the nomad life is calling start taking some trips in the silverado. while things are different in your neck of the woods than out west here. you are in a great spot for some boondocking. i can think just off the top of my head of half a dozen cool spots i have camped for free (and legal) within an easy days drive. and i found them all on the fly as i was traveling. spend some time road camping and see if the life is for you, like you mention. but dont back your self into a corner. get some income and a secure place to stay, then sneak up on it.

heck, get a lil settled and start to explore the rest of this summer/fall to get your feet wet and come on out to the RTR and check out the big tent in quartzsite (even if the rtr is not there) if you want a job as a nomad you can find one there. paid camp hosting or some other thing. if you want to work you can find something. plus you can learn a lot at the rtr from the classes and just from other people.

PS dont waste your time on the solar install college class, unless you want to get into installing residential solar for a company. you wont learn hardly anything that transfer over to the nomadic off grid solar for people like us

cause if get in the situation that going on the road with free camping your only hope. you are really going to have to make some sacrifices. in that case, ditching the rv and taking the loss now may be better than letting it bleed you dry. you may be able to get out from under it with out owing. find some one that maybe be willing to take over payments. or talk to the loan company to see if they would accept the equivalent of a short sale. they may be happier with most of the money and not have to reposes and go through all that hassel and then sell it at auction for pennies on the dollar. if you have to, you could pare down to the truck and what you can carry in the truck with it set up for camping. then you would have a much easier time going nomadic cold turkey

if you want some free camping not too far from you drop me a private message and i'll see what i can point you to.

it will be my good turn

silently each scout should ask, have i done my daily task...

Digitronical, great handle...

If you will be out west, look into the New Mexico Annual Camping Permit. It's $225 (a bargain!) for about 13 months of 'free' camping in just about every New Mexico State Park. It's a great 'safety net' if you are by yourself and pulling a camping trailer. If you need electrical hookups, such as running the A/C and Microwave, then electric is $4 per night...again, a bargain. There are limits on how long you can stay at each location, generally 14 days, but this varies with how busy the park is. New Mexico State Parks are generally well-equipped with restrooms, showers, picnic tables, hiking/biking trails, lakes, scenic areas, etc.

I'm not sure I agree with the majority opinion on not cashing out your IRA here....because, even with the penalty and taxes, you might be ahead by cashing that out, paying off the super-high-interest $5000 credit card loans, and the balance, or most of it, on your travel trailer, and then you will be out of debt, or close to it, as you begin your adventure. Depending on your income for the year when you cash out, the taxes and penalty might be offset by the savings on your loans, and the interest you are paying, every year. The interest on the credit card balance is probably about $1000 a year...ouch. Your $13,000 IRA probably does not earn that much by itself every year, which means you have a net loss right now.

Nothing drains American's bank accounts like credit card debt and vehicle loans. Savings are important, BUT...you need to get out of heavy debt too.

You have to run the numbers to see which will benefit you the most, and what payments you can make while living on the road....but not having to make any payments means you could rebuild that IRA account rapidly if you find a good income. And those IRA deposits from earned income will accrue in that account tax-free moving forward.

BUT....DO YOUR HOMEWORK on this....run the scenario each way and see what will be the best for YOU.

Good luck to you, and I admire your openness about your situation.

Hey Digitronical,

Im sorry your losing your state job.  I do not think cashing out your pension with the state is a good idea if you have accumulated enough time to collect a pension check when you reach retirement age.  You just cannot beat a state pension (unless the state pension goes bankrupt but you still wont lose all benefits)  Another reason is that when you retire with a state pension you may be eligible to stay on the state healthcare plan as a retiree, instead of having to rely on Obamacare.  I retired on my first government pension at 45 and was able to stay on the city healthcare plan as a retiree.  The coverage isnt great but certainly better than Obamacare.  

Just my .02 for what its worth.  

Good luck with your plans.

Glynb said:
The coverage isnt great but certainly better than Obamacare.  

Curious why you think that?   A person with little income can get a Obamacare silver plan with cost sharing for like $50 a month and a max out of pocket of around $250 a year.   Pretty awesome coverage.

I second not touching your retirement accounts, if possible; aside from IGBT's comments above, you may have to pay penalties (10% of the withdrawal amount) and taxes on gains that will hurt on your 2019 taxes.

Can you keep your travel trailer and find some workcamping gig to make ends meet? coolworks

In regards to where to find free camping, freecampsites.net as mentioned above and campendium.com are good places to start. Use google earth to scout a route before driving with your trailer.

Good luck to you and keep posting.

IGBT said:
Curious why you think that?   A person with little income can get a Obamacare silver plan with cost sharing for like $50 a month and a max out of pocket of around $250 a year.   Pretty awesome coverage.
Everybody I have known (3 people) that have any kind of income that have Obamacare had very high deductibles, like $4000.00 or higher, so they just considered it emergency insurance in case of catastrophic ER visits.  The rest of the time they went to a Velocity care of some sort and paid the $60.00 fee to see a doctor.

I guess it all depends on how much income the OP will be making in the future.  I know my retirement medical insurance is for life, and goes with me wherever United Healthcare is accepted. Is it better than the best plans of Obamacare?  Probably not.  But if the OP can get a retirement check and access to healthcare benefits through the state when he is age qualified, I think that is the best deal in the long run.

I think the future of Obamacare care is probably more fluid than set pension healthcare benefits.  

Just my opinion.

Well yeah if you have high income the Obamacare policies are expensive but I was assuming someone who had lost their job and was thinking of boondocking in the forest probably didn't have high income.   I don't know what it is for singles but for us as a married couple nearing our 50's, we can have a MAGI of $23,000 a year and get a policy that costs $70 a month total and has a max out of pocket of $600 a year.  Drugs are free or sometimes $1.

I messed it up last year though by playing in the stock market and had to pay back about $10,000 of subsidy.   (I would gladly pay it back each year but the stock market is such a lotto you never know what kind of chocolate you are going to get)

I'm not sure if this helps but with the NM state park pass , some of the parks are pretty close together . I think it's like 22 miles between Elephant Butte Lake state park and Caballo lake state park .Also some of the rv parks around T or C NM hire workcamping