A van for two people

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyl4rk

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how to set up a cargo van for two people, travelling longer distances?  It should be able to city stealth camp and boondock. 

We are looking at driving from the midwest to the southwest and doing a big loop tour.  The trip may include some boondock camping for a while to escape winter.

Anyone have any tips of making a cargo van work for two people?

My parents travelled for months at a time in a van, albeit with window van with a high top! It takes patience and co-operation for two to manage in a van more than anything else.

The two front seats had swivel bases and they had a pedestal table that went in between them. Dad had to be seated in the drivers seat before the table got put in place.

The bed was set up so that they slept heads against the back door so that, while they had to get out of bed at the foot, no one had to crawl over the other to get out of bed. That gets way old way fast!!

The porta pottie was in a low cabinet on the passenger side and the kitchen was maybe 4' long at the drivers side.

Storage was 2 big drawers under the bed, both sides of the bed base lifted up over the wheel wells to store odds and ends that were seldom used. Additional storage was accessed from the rear doors for sutff like the propane stove and barbecue. They also had RV style small cabinets around the perimeter of the van in the high top as well as the space over the cab. It held all the cooking appliances and some food. They used a cooler with ice but this was before the 12V compressor coolers were available. It got moved around a lot... :)

The most important thing in making it work is the co-operation and the realization that you both had to travel light. Dad would get out of bed first, dress and go for a walk while mom got up because you can't pass each other in the hall... :D

They went from Ontario to BC and then south through the western states doing a big loop like you have planned and then another time they went to Alaska and north through to the end of the road. Also did major trips down east. Wonder where I get itchy feet from.... :rolleyes:

It can be done but I personally wouldn't want to try it without the high top. It provided not only standing room but also all the extra storage capacity that you wouldn't have without it.

skyl4rk said:
Does anyone have advice on how to set up a cargo van for two people, travelling longer distances?  It should be able to city stealth camp and boondock. 

We are looking at driving from the midwest to the southwest and doing a big loop tour.  The trip may include some boondock camping for a while to escape winter.

Anyone have any tips of making a cargo van work for two people?

Last year, Bob and his girlfriend Judy (who normally live in separate vans) did a multi-month trip together to Alaska in one van.  Bob did a couple of blog posts on how they set the van up for two.
Regards
John

First and foremost if you're doing stealth city camping get a window van rather than a cargo van.

Here's a couple of floorplans to give you some ideas.

floorplan1.jpg

floorplan_off_grid.jpg

Thank you, I went back and found the blog posts:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/using-hitch-haul-cargo-carrier-receiver-hitch-extra-cargo-space/
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/using-sterilite-4-drawer-units-storage/
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/couple-van-building-bed/

Overview:
Put a cargo carrier on the hitch receiver
Bolt down one or two watertight, dustproof boxes, such as tool boxes
Install two four drawer Sterilite units behind the drivers seat using ratchet straps
Build a bed behind the drawers that might not be long enough (depending on you and your van)
Use a pail or crate to put your feet on while sleeping
Make a comfortable lounge seat up front between the van seats

Off Grid 24/7 said:
First and foremost if you're doing stealth city camping get a window van rather than a cargo van.
How do you change your clothes or use the toilet if there are windows?  tinting? curtains?

Our maxi van has windows we don't use in the bed area. Those are covered with Reflectix and the others are covered with window perf (used for graphics). We wanted some windows so this worked well.

The maxi has plenty of room for us to be quite comfy. We have a full sized bed, a galley, and 24 sq ft of floorspace.

skyl4rk said:
How do you change your clothes or use the toilet if there are windows?  tinting? curtains?

My  shower/toilet has a shower curtain surrounding it.

Unless you're right up to my windows or I have lights on at night, you really can't see much inside my van.

If you are space challenged, maybe use either a hitch-haul carrier for extra stowage in weather tight lockboxes, or tow a small trailer. You could drop the trailer at your campsite when touring the local AO, and to help reserve your campsite, keeping others from sliding into it while you are playing tourist.