A "real" stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLac97

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the research stage of getting ready to build my own conversion. My husband and I are planning on moving into a mobile lifestyle in a few years, and we would like to have the vehicle ready by summer 2022. We are 95% sure that we are looking for a 12 foot box truck, and we are looking into design ideas. One thing I have noticed is that everyone seems to have a camp stove or induction burner of some sort. I love to cook. I do it extensively, ans I would really like a "real" stove and oven. After looking around quite a bit, I found a 20 inch off grid propane stove at Homedepot, and I am wondering if there is any reason I have not seen anyone using one already. I am aware we will need ventilation, but aside from that, is there any reason not to go for it?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-...Hx-NhbZ0SSQK_6cj44FNFHQUA3gSMTY4aAn8qEALw_wcB

you see them in Tiny houses which compared to the size of a van are HUGE spaces.

If you want the size of things you have in a house go and buy an big motorhome that has a kitchen in it. Then you can take it all with you.

If you can work it into your design, I can see no reason not to use it. Wish I had room for one. You will probably need to remove the grates when you travel. I make do with a propane double burner (built in) and a convection/microwave that I run from the generator or shore power. Most of my cooking is done in one pan/pot though. Cleaning all the cookware will require a lot of water. Plan for a big water tank. I have a 35 gallon fresh water tank and that would last us (2 people) one week with navy showers three times a week (2 people). Our black water tank was our real limiting factor (one week). It is only 12 gallons.

Oh, and welcome. Why don't you go to the newcomers corner and get a real welcome.

If you have the space and money go for it. But in addition since you like to cook try campfire cooking. You can do all sorts of new things that cant be done in a kitchen. And then move on to dutch oven cooking. I love my dutch oven baked beans and my chicken and dumplings. I you look on the net there are lots of videos about both campfire and dutch oven recipes. I want to try bbq ribs sometime. I find it good entertainment with a tasty reward.

OH - I forgot, since you said you "love to cook" Once this virus isolation is over keep me posted on where you are camping - I follow good cooks as much as possible:)

Welcome LadyLac to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

sure you can use that stove. you could also Use a RV one, they are built in and take up less space.

BTW I moved your thread to the "Newcomers Corner"

highdesertranger

Forgive me for yet another post but one simple nomad principle I learned for myself years ago and hear often repeated by those who have experience is "It is amazing to find out how much stuff you thought you needed when you started compared to what you really need and want once on the road for awhile" I am not putting you down but could your desire for a stove like the one at home be a little sign of the fear of the unknown? But as I said before if you have the space and the cash go for it. My circumstances removed a lot of the security items I wanted to hold on to and now I am so glad they are gone.

If you have the space that is a good option, personally I would not worry about the glass. This stove would be perfect. Another option would be to have a look at a boat store, they have beautiful sturdy small stainless models if you are willing to pay for them.

Hi All,

wow, thanks for all of your replies! To answer a few points, We are downsizing almost everything but we each picked 2 things that were important to us. for me, it was the ability to shower and cook. For my husband it was a place for his computer, and a toilet.

The bathroom components are figured out, and the computer is a low profile one that will be connected to the TV mounted on the wall across from the seating area/head of bed. The stove is only 20 inches, and the fridge is quite small , so that should fit fairly well.

I do cook in a dutch oven at home, and I have been known to use a campfire, but I would really like the ability to cook on a stove sauteeing and baking things when the whim strikes. also, we will be doing some urban camping at times, so a camp fire will not always be possible.

I will look at some of the other options mentioned, but I definitely am.looking for something built in rather than a camp stove.

again, I appreciate you all making me feel welcome and giving so much advice. Thos is a HUGE change from the current 2400 square foot home we are used to, and it is great to see so many people succeeding at it.

-LadyLac

That's a good choice, it's designed for propane which burns hotter than natural gas. The stove in my house was designed for natural gas but convertible to propane. Almost impossible to get a low simmer because of the added heat. Be sure to connect with high quality gas piping or hoses well supported to handle movement while traveling. Also, shut-off LP while traveling is probably best practice.

Ladylac, yes the model you picked has some nice features. I would suggest you pick up a couple of extra batteries used in the self ignitor, also the burners are usually adjustable for simmer flame height by a screw inside of the burner knob shaft. It takes a very small (eyeglasses screw) screwdriver. I was an appliance store owner for many years and I always was looking for well featured small gas ranges for the many vacation cabins in the area. Best of luck in your endeavor. Jeff

I love to cook too. And that is a big part of wanting to travel....I do NOT want to cook inside my van though. The idea of sleeping in the same space as all those cooking smells...YUK. So it was important to me that my cooking space be able to be OUTSIDE. I love my chuck wagon type back door kitchen. That turned into what if it rains or worse. So now I have an awning over the back that covers the area I want to cook in, and a fold up table to set beside my van to help with space. I love the idea of a real stove. But have not yet found a reliable enough portable oven I'm studying toaster ovens. Also don't have any space left to haul propane and as we have to have a generator for other part of our work so electric it is, I do have a microwave and an induction burner, but I know I will need more sometimes. Not totally happy yet with water system, but we will work on it. I am happy to see another cook and look forward to see what you finely get going. Let us all know. I hope you post pictures of the finished 'kitchen'.

This is just a suggestion but.. I think we should put together an ap that tracks the locations of all you good cooks with a list of what's cooking each day. I will be the first to test the ap and the food:):):)

A single burner butane stove has served me well on my trips across the USA and down into Mexico.

There’s no written rule that says you can’t work out your personal processes before you hit the road.

Be mindful that sourcing insurance coverage on commercial vehicles and DIY conversions is problematic, but not impossible.

An enamel wash basin placed on the single burner butane stove to heat water has served me well for bathing and doing dishes. I took out the sink to free up counter space.

It will probably be fairly heavy, and the metal parts may rattle a bit, the door might pop open on bumps and turns, and you will need to figure out a way to secure it...maybe drill a few holes....but if you can anticipate all the issues, it should work out ok.

I have no room in the RAV4 for cooking, so I use a galley-style set up (like a tear drop) out the back hatch. It is relaxing to lounge in a camp chair, reading a chapter of a good novel, occasionally stirring something on my one-burner butane stove, sipping wine, and enjoying the song of the birds in the trees. Of course, when it rains or is cold, I have to go to Plan B: a good excuse to find a restaurant! Plan C is soup heated with the 12-volt immersion coil and a sandwich.

Spring thru fall is fire season. So campfire cooking is mostly a no go during those months.

When it is hot outside you will likely be wanting to cook outside.

You will want a good fan if you do much cooking inside as cooking produces a lot of humidity that needs to be removed.

Of course if you are in a hot area then you would want to be outside inside of a shaded and screen shelter that is serving as your hot weather camp kitchen. You stove is of course not portable so you will need to carry a couple of camp stoves as well as stove top oven. Or one of the combo stove top with oven units. Plus have a portable bulk tank for propane as green bottles are not going to provide enough fuel for someone who loves to cook.

Do plan on putting in a larger sized fridge/freezer if you like to cook as you will need the food storage capacity.

I have a camp chef stove & oven burning propane in the van. It is awesome but rarely used because I like to set up an outside kitchen in my camp.
-crofter

Generally newcomers will find a guide or mentor to prep them for their first outings.  What is called a "Shake Down" usually takes place early.  In the shake down the guide shows you how little of what you are intending to take along that you would actually need.   This goes for Boy Scouts, Hiker/Back Packers, Campers, Canoe trippers, Bicyclist, and any other outdoors types as this Nomadic lifestyle is still pretty much "outdoor".  In the sticks and bricks you have a lot more material around you,  where in a Van you may have .050 thousands of an inch of sheet metal. (if you insulate and panel it may only seem like more)  So in the end it may be more like a sheet metal tent with a motor.

I like to cook also, but have learned to leave the Martha Stewart and Paula Dean back home (as part of the shakedown) 
and adopt camp and trail methods.  

For cooking on an open fire the cast iron Dutch Oven is hard to beat.  It makes wonderful onei pot meals and stores the
left overs at the same time.   Thomas Jefferson asked Lewis and Clark when they returned  that of all the equipment they took along on their expedition what was the most valuable item?  The replied without thinking twice,  the  the Dutch Ovens.  

But in the end, it will come down to what you can live with, have room for, and can get multiple uses from.  Will you be homesteading or nomading.