A Passing Thought.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
Tonight while I was hard at work watching youtube videos my next door neighbor came by to' borrow' a couple of cigarettes, no problem, I have started buying an extra pack So I don't run out. 

She stood at the door before leaving and asked if I could go pick her daughter up in Grand Prairie, a mere 30 miles away. This is 11 pm. I asked how she got there and the mother did not know. Maybe not mother of the year. Now mother and father have 0 money, 0 food but all have smart phones. I tell mom that I can pick her up in the morning on the way to visit my parents gravesites (Dad Died on Thanksgiving). She HAS to come home, they won't let her sleep there. 

Lucky for them I had not taken my pain pill or sleeping pill so I go get in my truck and mom goes home....Kids 14 and I do not want a 14 year old alone in my truck at midnight when I got there. So mom acts bothered she had to go. But she goes. Finally find the girl and she gets in and asks why it took so long. I am in fact not a patient man nor do I accept insolence from some brat.

After getting on the highway I ask the kid if she says her prayers at night. She says yes. So I tell her to tell God thanks that I am not her father because I would tear her ass up and the phone would be a distant memory. Got real quiet in the truck. Mom tells me that was a "hateful thing" to say to a child.

I don't think they are coming for Thanksgiving. Just me, my daughter and a vet from the transition house at the VA.

Happy Thanksgiving..Rob

The world's a mess, Rob. Of that there is no question. I have to believe there are enough good people. like yourself, and they out number the lost. One day everyone will be on the same page with regard to what's important.

Child?  Some people do not have the capacity to handle the truth.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Gunny: First, I enjoy reading your posts and stories. You seem like a "good" person. Cyndi comments that the world is a mess; I would agree, and society continues to degrade to the lowest common denominator. In the past, norms of good people have been able to keep the ship afloat, even though at time it has been a rough ride.

Most troubling thing over the past 25 years or so is the growing trend that the "takers" are becoming close to reaching critical mass. Now days, young people think "it's not wrong unless you get caught." It's like cheating at solitaire.

This post is getting dark; sorry.

I think parents are way too lenient with their children.
The problem as I see it is that most parents don't want to be the parent, they want to be a friend to their children, but they should be the parent until the kid moves out, is on their own, then comes time to be the friend.
Of course, that being said, I have never had any children, so I am just stating my opinion.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

If it makes you all feel better, Steven Levitt, an economist at U of Chicago and author of Freakonomics, has done some research on how parenting styles affect the results of standardized tests. His results? Basically that it doesn't matter what you do as much as who you are. That is just test results though. I can say that among my friends, there are many wildly different parenting styles. From uber Christian mega church home schooling types on the far right to super uber hippy woo woo way out on the left home schooling types (it has always interested me how people on such opposite sides of the political spectrum can actually end up sharing many of the same values, eg. home schooling) and everything in between. My observation is that loving parents end up with good kids most of the time regardless of parenting style and that is comforting to me.

I have to admit though that if my neighbor dragged me out at 11pm to pick up her ungrateful daughter, I might have said something similar. LOL That kid had it coming!

"If you are smart, hard-working, well educated, well paid and married to someone equally fortunate, then your children are more likely to succeed," write Levitt and Dubner. "(Nor does it hurt, in all likelihood, to be honest, thoughtful, loving, and curious about the world.) But it isn't a matter of what you do as a parent; it's who you are."

Something as an ex smoker that I have never understand.
How do you "'borrow' a couple of cigarettes"?
I never got any back except the one day where after I asked the person handed me a handful of used butts.

The other problem I see is that your calling a 14 year old a child. With the way the world is turning we need to start turning our kids into young adults earlier in life.

Your defiantly a better person than I am.

you did the right thing. Be careful you aren't taken advantage of. This can become a bad habit taxie service.

Good on you Gunny. Keep up the humanity, it does rub off on others.

As to the whole "this new generation is all a bunch of ....". The generation that raised you said basically the same things about your generation(not any of youse here you're all exempt of course). I wonder if there will ever be an older generation that accepts it's responsibility in raising the next generation and the direction it takes. No idea if that makes sense, but aren't the "adults" the ones who are supposed to teach the "children"? Have we decided that "It takes a village" is to much hassle to actually put into practice?

That last bit is not aimed at anyone in particular, just food for thought maybe.

There seem to be a lot of caring and giving people on this forum, and when I read about people doing the decent things in life, it helps me be a better person. So thanks Gunny and also many others who go out of their way for people just because humanity is worth it.

At least you didn't make them run beside the truck. Maybe being raised in military gives us some odd ideas about parenting.

Brings back memories of when I lived in an apartment building and some of the people there thought it was a "commune".   Fortunately I was never in those places too long before being assigned to move to another division of the company. 

I'd be awfully careful of a situation like that. 

Oh, and by the way,  anyone on welfare, food stamps etc, can get a smartphone nearly free.  Notice those tents
on the side of the road that are pitching free Cell Phones.   They get a few hundred free minutes a month. They may be issued a flip phone and for a few dollars more be issued a smart phone.   You may even see pavilions in grocery stores where they are promoting these in bad weather.  There is one of these at my local super market.

Gunny said:
Tonight while I was hard at work watching youtube videos my next door neighbor came by to' borrow' a couple of cigarettes, no problem, I have started buying an extra pack So I don't run out. 

She stood at the door before leaving and asked if I could go pick her daughter up in Grand Prairie, a mere 30 miles away. This is 11 pm. I asked how she got there and the mother did not know. Maybe not mother of the year. Now mother and father have 0 money, 0 food but all have smart phones. I tell mom that I can pick her up in the morning on the way to visit my parents gravesites (Dad Died on Thanksgiving). She HAS to come home, they won't let her sleep there. 

Lucky for them I had not taken my pain pill or sleeping pill so I go get in my truck and mom goes home....Kids 14 and I do not want a 14 year old alone in my truck at midnight when I got there. So mom acts bothered she had to go. But she goes. Finally find the girl and she gets in and asks why it took so long. I am in fact not a patient man nor do I accept insolence from some brat.

After getting on the highway I ask the kid if she says her prayers at night. She says yes. So I tell her to tell God thanks that I am not her father because I would tear her ass up and the phone would be a distant memory. Got real quiet in the truck. Mom tells me that was a "hateful thing" to say to a child.

I don't think they are coming for Thanksgiving. Just me, my daughter and a vet from the transition house at the VA.

Happy Thanksgiving..Rob
Gratitude!!

She should have some, both the mother and daughter.  I absolve you of doing more "good deeds" this Thanksgiving Day.  You have done your part.  Yes, this is my first year without my mother - she did not pass on this day, but I have a hard time with Christmas for a much similar reason.  Best wishes for a peaceful day.

Glenda "From Oz"

Bryan, I agree with you (and others) when we talk about a generation going 'to hell in a handbasket', I remember when my poor old Dad heard me playing Jimi Hendrix the first time. And Janice Joplin, et.al. Even though I was a young Marine just out of boot camp he was sure such music would lead to ruin. He was part of what many consider the Greatest Generation, fought in WW11 and worked the same job for decades. There was no "quit" in him. I am but a small shadow of my Father.

I wrote about last night simply because I have raised or helped raise 4 daughters (and two sons) and had one of my 14 year olds disappeared for a day then call and demand a ride from someone, the family does not own a car, it would have been the most unpleasant ride they ever had. My kids were far from perfect but that was never an issue.

I guess what bothered me most was there was no "thanks". It was like it was expected and it won't happen again. I don't know or care to know any of their business but rent here ain't cheap. I would guess it's a housing voucher, but who knows.

Yes, Bryan, there are many on this forum I will probably not live long enough to meet but there are good people here. Helpful to the extreme and friendly. Reading about the different gatherings having a pot luck Thanksgiving is encouraging to me and I suspect to others too.

Anyway, today's another day and it's beautiful here in N Texas. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Holiday... Rob

Way to go gunny, nice of you to go get her, and even nicer to say what you did to the youngster. Some people are so UNGREATFUL.  AT least you made the world a better place, and I thank you for that gunny. SEMPER FI.

Yes sir, at 1600 the girl asked when dinner was. They came over, filled their plates, said "Thanks" and left. I found out today the 14 year old ran off some kids who were climbing on my ATV. Perhaps I rushed to judgement. Tom Thumb Grocery cooks a good turkey.

Semper Fi to you also.

Be safe Rob

I had a couple of old wise friends. One told me Gratitude is the shortest lived of all human emotions. The other said never consistently do for others more than necessary. After a time they will expect it and get very upset when you are unable to do for them. I find both to be true. I am not good at following wise advice, so I have been burned many times over the years.

Danny, your friends are indeed wise. I've been burned a few times, nothing serious, just a bit of cash.

I don't give more than I can afford to lose and the rides are limited. Like you, I have been burned a few times, nothing major, just an annoyance.

Hope your Thanksgiving was good. Rob

Gunny, I love you. If I ever get to your part of Texas I would love to buy you a beer. Or coffee. Or Coke. Whichever your heart desires. 

You're a good soul and you taught the girl a few things, she will remember. Whether she learns will be up to her.

Keep it up and thanks for being you, keep posting! 

Jean