A good photo sharing site?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
I have used Flickr and Dropbox off and on ever sense they were born. Boy have they become convoluted and want a ton of info to use them now. Any ideas on a free and easy photo sharing site? 

Thanks,
John

I don't know an answer to your question. I save my pics to my computer and share them with people I want to. is there something I am missing? highdesertranger

i've use photobucket for years but it has been clogged with adds and stuff and with my slow interweb takes longer to load a page then anything else

highdesertranger said:
I don't know an answer to your question.  I save my pics to my computer and share them with people I want to.  is there something I am missing?  highdesertranger

online back-up easier to post and easier on the website,i keep the good one's on disk and online and keep the computer clean
not sure where the real photos are so having two digital copies is worth it,wouldn't want grandpapi's car to disappear

20112.jpg

or my grandfather himself
2014.jpg

he's on the left and the war is over

Gary68 said:
online back-up easier to post and easier on the website,i keep the good one's on disk and online and keep the computer clean
not sure where the real photos are so having two digital copies is worth it,wouldn't want grandpapi's car to disappear

Holy cr@p dude! Those are sweet photos, hold on to them.

John

highdesertranger said:
I don't know an answer to your question.  I save my pics to my computer and share them with people I want to.  is there something I am missing?  highdesertranger

Hahaha! I have a Mac so I definitely know how to store them on my home computer. :D What I was talking/asking about is a good place to upload photos so that I can later link/post them to the forum. This used to be very easy in Dropbox and Flickr but now it's a PITA. Where do users Like to uploade build photos so that they can easily link to them for the forum/ project/ my build? I guess I could hot link them to my website but I was trying to keep that world separate from this world.

John

I use "Tinypic_dot_com".  Quick, easy and very user-friendly.  And a free download.  Unlimited photo storage.  I have several folders for different subjects.

For simple photo editing, like cropping and sizing to better fit forums with limited bandwidth, I use another free download,
"Irfanview".  It is great for doing simple tasks, as listed above, and excellent to view your pics.  You can set up slide shows, and use it for videos (which I have not yet done).  The latest version even allows for custom rotation, which removed my last reason to pay good money for Photoshop. 

Both excellent products.  I use Irfanview daily.

For more serious photo editing I use the old "tried&true", MS Paint. 

These three products do everything I need to do in photo handling.  All are free and take up little memory space.

Thanks for the help everybody! Back from vacation so I will check things out.

John

Gary68 said:

20112.jpg

or my grandfather himself
2014.jpg

he's on the left and the war is over

Great pics, especially of your grandpa. Priceless.

LeeR- thanks dude, works great! I even downloaded the app for my iPad. :)

John

Konaexpress said:
I have used Flickr and Dropbox off and on ever sense they were born. Boy have they become convoluted and want a ton of info to use them now. Any ideas on a free and easy photo sharing site? 

Well, that depends on your definition of "easy" and what exactly you want to do. Share a few photos at a time? Limit sharing to particular people (using permissions)? Add comments to your photos? Use your method of sharing as a backup? Organize using metadata (tagging)? Prefer a certain level of privacy on how and where your photos can be displayed? ....

I've used Flickr, Dropbox, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, 500px, google drive, my own website (there is software for this too), etc. I think Amazon has one for prime members too.

Wikipedia has a table of photo sharing websites as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo-sharing_websites

If you stumble on any you especially like, please do share where and why.

The tinypic app for iPhone and iPad is really cool for forums I think, this is what I wanted a share site for. Click on a pick and a link is recorded to your clipboard to post in a forum. Easy peezy.

John

Happy to be of help.  I tried "Photobucket", but it is clunky and quirky.  I began on a site called "VillagePhoto" but it folded.  Too bad as I really liked it.
There are many out there, for everyone's taste.