A Boondocking Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarryNights

Reaction score
At the request of family in different parts of the country I have finally done a write up of the van I converted so I could escape the cold NH winters.  Spent this January through March full-time boondocking in Arizona.   All systems worked well, far exceeding expectations!

This has a unique open floor plan with over 12 feet of counter space - and much more.

I did this in a page-layout program and converted it to a PDF.  13 Pages, many photos. Had to compress it to fit forum's 2MB size limit.  Click the PDF link below to open
Link to PDF https://app.box.com/s/4to0hexkq43joaopt9t9uczzeb7sabrj

* IF ON PHONE, SUGGEST VIEW IN LANDSCAPE *

Some features:
  • Solar system that works really well.  Includes DIY battery heater.  Van has no propane
  • Sofa that changes to incredibly comfortable bed in seconds
  • Inexpensive Berkey Filter mod that takes next to no space.
  • Home-built composting toilet
  • Diesel Heater
  • Simple, inexpensive INSIDE HOT SHOWER solution that should work in most vans. Stores in less than 1 Cu Ft.
  • HUGE amount of storage.
  • Snap-in window insulation
  • Inexpensive DIY front door window vents.
I'm an older solo-traveler and this certainly is not for everyone, but there are features you may find useful. 

Would welcome comments, suggestions and any questions.

Tom

??
I have been able to open the file on computers where user does NOT have a Box account.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Enjoyed reading about your build, Now keep moving.
All the best for you treatment,stay positive and enjoy life.

Ozzie Roamer

no Box account and the .pdf opened right up on my Android tablet.

A very nice, detailed pdf that is well worth reading and downloading.

Thank you for sharing this excellent document.

It opened easily on Android and I clicked on the download arrow which worked perfectly.

Turns to hieroglyphics when opened (no Box account).

Well, the PDF was a good thing to send family, but on this site it didn't go over so well!  So, this might be a little better present quick overview of the design.

ButtonedUp.jpg

This is what the interior normally looks like, but there is a lot hidden from view.  Here is a map of hidden things and I worked out where to store things: 

StorageMap.jpg

And this is what it looks like with Bed, Stove, Sink, Composting Toilet and TV exposed:

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]OpenedUp.jpg[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If interested, I can post detail on the Solar System, Berkey Filter, Indoor hot shower solution that fits in a shopping bag, the too-big walk-in closet (about 90 Cubic Feet!) I have for a garage, and anything else.  everything tested pretty well so can relate pro and cons.[/font]

Attachments

• ButtonedUp.jpg
    ButtonedUp.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 10
  • StorageMap.jpg
    StorageMap.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 9
  • OpenedUp.jpg
    OpenedUp.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 8
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Well, the PDF was a good thing to send family, but on this site it didn't go over so well!  So, this might be a little better present quick overview of the design.[/font]

ButtonedUp.jpg

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This is what the interior normally looks like, but there is a lot hidden from view.  Here is a map of hidden things and I worked out where to store things: [/font]
StorageMap.jpg

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]And this is what it looks like with Bed, Stove, Sink, Composting Toilet and TV exposed:[/font]
OpenedUp.jpg

If interested, I can post detail on the Solar System, Berkey Filter, the indoor hot shower solution that fits in a shopping bag, the too-big walk-in closet (about 90 Cubic Feet!) I have for a garage, and anything else.  Everything is pretty well tested so can relate actual pro and cons.  

Attachments

• ButtonedUp.jpg
    ButtonedUp.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 20
  • StorageMap.jpg
    StorageMap.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 22
  • OpenedUp.jpg
    OpenedUp.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 26
I was able to open your initial link on my laptop, but appreciate the extra effort you made to include an overview here.  I really like your design!  (We probably could not use this layout, since we need a full-size bed, but it is so superior to anything I've seen in a "B.  We, too, love our windows!)

Questions:  Where does the sink faucet "go" when the cover is down?  How do you handle gray water from the sink?  What is the length of your base van?

VanFan - Glad you liked the design and great to get questions! 

I too looked at a larger bed, but noticed well over 50% of van dwellers were solo.  Wall to counter, I could squeeze a 50” wide bed in, but would loose a lot of functionality of the build. 

If you search Amazon for ‘Folding RV faucet’ you will find several and understand how mine works.  Brands have changed since I bought, but think mine is the Decdeal one; Blusea offers one that looks identical but for more money. 

Gray water is stored directly under the sink.  I’d originally planned to use a 5 gal container, but it took me a while to get the large fresh water tank installed, so used the 5 Gal tank for fresh water.  Found I could just fit the narrow 10L tank that came with the diesel heater beside it, and so that became the gray tank.  Just after I got the large fresh water tank installed, weather turned cold.  I blew out the lines but didn’t figure it would be cold enough to freeze the big tank so didn’t drain it.  Wrong!  Even after 2 days of temps in mid 40’s it was still frozen and it took many hours of space heater use to thaw and drain it.   More cautious, I continued to use the 5 gal tank for fresh until I got to Arizona.  Meanwhile, the 10L tank was much easier to handle and I’d gotten really good at conserving.  I’d catch water used to rinse stuff in a pan and dump out the door, which resulted in very little that got into the gray tank.

One note: Even though I blew the faucet out before things froze, it hasn’t been the same since despite taking it apart and re-seating things. 

The van is on a 157” wheelbase and is 22 feet long.

Tom