'88 Chevy G20 w Quigley 4x4

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkrunaway

Reaction score
Hi late night team. I'm been lurking around a bit for the last few days and have found so many of the threads so helpful. Thank you for all the time and thought everyone puts into helping all us newbies out. 

I've been scouring craigslist and have kept on coming back to this one van. Wondering if you can offer some thoughts on general reliability of make and model and the price. I'll will be building out the inside to travel across the country (cities + BLM land etc) over the next 3-4 months. And then selective trips after that. 

Van: A 1988 Chevy G20 with 69k original miles and a Quigley 4x4 conversion that was done pre-title. She's got a very recent paint job and is mostly parked in a garage, so very few rust bubbles on a few edges and no structural rust (to my knowledge). Seller clearly loves the van and has cared for it while he's had it. 

From the seller: "350 engine/700R4 trans with overdrive/Borg Warner transfer case (Has 4wd High and Low). Can't recall the exact gear ratio (maybe 3:73?), but whatever it is, it's perfect for around town AND highway. 12-bolt rear/Dana 44 Front with Auto Hubs. Long wheelbase (125").

4WD,AC,PW,PL, Tilt Wheel, Cruise, heavy duty receiver hitch. Has high-top roof with rear roof luggage rack and the small windows in the sides of the top (2 in front & 2 on each side).

Has the tall style conversion van type windows on sides. Good rubber 33"x12.5x15 BF Goodrich Radial A/T's on Outlaw II aluminum rims. Shocks and suspension all tight and good."

4x4 wasn't one of my "must haves", but she's got character unlike some of the higher top 2wd's I've been seeing in my area. I would be looking into salvaging a bigger hightop and getting a body shop to swap it out for me. He wanted 7800, I got him to 6500. Thoughts on price, general reliability/performance, and likelihood of salvaging another top?

Thanks for your time!
K

sounds like it was someones project of love. I would be all over it given you check it out and it's all put together well.

BK, becareful, you will not be able to get parts for the 4 wheel drivetrain because they will be obsolete by now, and have to be custom made. at those miles it will need work soon.

bkrunaway said:
 I've been scouring craigslist and have kept on coming back to this one van. Wondering if you can offer some thoughts on general reliability of make and model and the price. I'll will be building out the inside to travel across the country (cities + BLM land etc) over the next 3-4 months. And then selective trips after that. 

Van: A 1988 Chevy G20 with 69k original miles and a Quigley 4x4 conversion that was done pre-title. She's got a very recent paint job and isthe sides of the top (2 in front & 2 on each side).
If I could afford to buy this van, I certainly would. I wouldn't worry too much about replacement parts for repairs as it seems to be well built, with parts from well known manufacturers. Let's think about it, Borg Warner transfer case? 12 bolt rear differential? Dana 44 front differential? Not only are they upgrades over stock, but they are all still in business, so where is the problem finding parts?
 I'm not sure I would put a high top on it as it's already pretty tall, but I'm sure it's doable.
Here's a video about it.

Welcome to the CRVL forums bkrunaway!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

caretaker said:
if its a quig. it has unique parts
I'm sure it does, but probably not involved with wear and tear parts that need to be replaced through breakage on occasion.
Which parts are you referring to that might break?
I've owned cars that were modified that still used off the shelf replacement parts. My old V8 Chevy Vega comes to mind. I also lifted a 97 Jeep Cherokee with parts from a company called Rusty's Off Road. Never had a bit of problem with those either. My contention is that if the parts are built stronger than OEM, there should not be any problem?
Has anybody checked with Quigley to see if they support their products? I'll bet they do.

I always recommend against 4x4 conversion vans. to many custom made parts that can't be bought anywhere. as for the GM 12 bolt rear axle I consider that light duty. I can't tell you how many 12 bolts I demolished. 14 bolt full float is a much better option, very common on Chevy trucks and vans. as for the Borg Warner transfer case it is also light duty came in Jeeps full size Chevy trucks have not use a Borg in there full size trucks since the early 60's. a much better choice would be a New Process 205, an almost indestructible transfer case. very common on Chevy trucks. highdesertranger

I'm not sure about the older Quigley conversions. But it seems the newer ones don't use many custom parts at all, rather OEM products from pick ups. From my limited research they use custom drive shaft and torsion bars and a few welded on brackets for attachment points. They use GM transfer cases, lower control arms, front axles and the things that remain the same are brake system, steering system, wheels/tires, traction control, anti lock brakes, stabilitrak and tire pressure monitoring system

All new conversions come with a master list of every part and part number used in the conversion and list of what parts Quigley makes. If one was really worried about it, they could just carry a spare of each custom made Quigley part. The rest you can get from any Dealer or autoparts store.

Quigley keeps a data base on all of the conversions they have done over the years.
You may want to call or email them with the VIN and they confirm the work they did on that van.
As for th price that seems like a fair number as Quigly 4X$'s have a very high resale value and this one sounds pretty nice.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I'm not sure about the older Quigley conversions.  But it seems the newer ones don't use many custom parts at all, rather OEM products from pick ups.  From my limited research they use custom drive shaft and torsion bars and a few welded on brackets for attachment points.  They use GM transfer cases, lower control arms, front axles and the things that remain the same are brake system, steering system, wheels/tires, traction control, anti lock brakes, stabilitrak and tire pressure monitoring system  

All new conversions come with a master list of every part and part number used in the conversion and list of what parts Quigley makes.  If one was really worried about it, they could just carry a spare of each custom made Quigley part.  The rest you can get from any Dealer or autoparts store.
This is the way I saw it as well. A Quigley conversion would not worry me in the least.

I used to restore a lot of old Mercedes diesels. I bought only one with rust. It will only get worse unless the rust areas are taken care asap. Much easier and cheaper to find a rust free model. If you really want this one check the frame carefully, if the body has rust, the frame is almost sure to have it too.

I built a few 4x4 vans, and own a Van charger, and owned a Quigley-Dodge. I find 4x4 not totally necessary. The only real parts that are tough to find are the front end bushings. I had to have mine custom made for $$$$$...

I've been thinking about converting another Ford Econoline, but I can't really find a good reason why when 99% of the places I go good tires and an LSD has done fine.

If Chevy Quigley, its going to have an unobtanium transfercase adapter. (driver side vs GM passenger side) especially to a Warner T case. Quigley used BW1356. My Quigley had one. Great T case. lighter then NP205. Better 4-low ratio. BUT prone to chain failure.

What Ive learnt? If you gotta go full size USA 4x4 van... Go Ford. No special parts.

Hi all. This is a bit delayed but I wanted to say thank you for all your thoughtful input! Still in love with this van, but I would be close to the top of my budget so I'm looking into some other options. Thanks again! Starting a new thread with some of my other options.

I had a '79 Ford E-150 Quigley van. I loved the vehicle, very unique for my area. Had the clearance to bolt on a set of 12.50 x 35" BFG. all terrain ta's. The only cusom parts were some of the brackets and suspension arms but they used a factory Ford truck bushing. The only way you would possibly have problems with needing custom parts would be from crash or accident related damage. All wear items were off the shelf Ford items.

One thing about why they were so rare was the cost when new. I got the window sticker with mine and new it was over 19,000.00 dollars. That was an outrageous amount in 1979. I have a friend that has a 1978 Dodge and it came stripped with 1 lowback seat and no air conditioning and sold for over 16000.00 new.

The only thing that made me really sell the vehicle was the fuel mileage. About 12-13 miles per gallon was the very best I ever got. Still miss it and wished I had not sold it even though it has 20 years ago that I sold it.