Going to a RWD van from 4WD

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You for posting this question. I have been wondering the same thing recently.

I've spent some time looking for an AWD Chevy Express 1500 van. I really like them as they seem like a great "best of both worlds" option. extra traction when it's handy, but not built for offroad adventure. The only trouble is that they come at a cost and are hard-ish to find in good shape.

Anywho, I have a couple tips and one related question.

1. When in doubt, always walk it out. It takes extra time, but knowing the terrain keeps you out of trouble.
2. Air down your tires!!!!! So many people ignore this step and get in trouble.

Ok, so my question is for the 2wd vanners in the southwest. How often do you run into a situation where you feel you should turn around and find another route? I understand it's all part of the game. Just curious to know if it's an inconvenience or a burden of not having 4wd.

Thanks again for asking the question, I have been in the middle of wondering the same thing the last couple months, as I am searching for a van.