Is this 4x4 diesel Chevy worth the price?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seattle Sue

Reaction score
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi all!  As a future vandweller, I’ve been lurking on this forum quite a while trying to soak up as much information as I can.  The advice and suggestions I’ve seen in other people’s posts has been incredible and I’m hoping you all will be willing to provide some advice on a van I am looking at here in Seattle.  [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]My goal is to move into a van within the next 6-9 months and am looking at purchasing one that I can build out for boondocking as well as some urban camping.  I found this 1997 Chevy Express 3500 on Craigslist for $18,000.  It’s a 6.5L diesel with 15K miles, lifted Quigley 4x4 conversion and a small high top.  [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]I hadn’t been looking for 4 wheel drive but I watched a few videos recently where the vandweller got stuck in the sand and it got me thinking that a[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] 4x4 might[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] be a good thing.  I am currently in the PNW but am planning on spending time around the country including[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] the Southwest in the winter.  [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Are any of you familiar with this particular type of vehicle?  Is the diesel and 4x4 combination worth what he’s asking?  This is the Seattle market so I expect things to cost a little more than a lot of other areas of the country.  Oh, and the seller indicated over the phone that the price is somewhat negotiable.[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated![/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Link to the ad:  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6144510893.html[/font][/SIZE]

Welcome to the CRVL forums Sue! The Quigley conversion and new engine certainly make this van worth a lot more than an ordinary van but I'm not sure how much more. Have you checked to see how much vans of the same age and condition but without the conversion and new engine are listed for?

It looks like it's in great condition. Good luck with your decision!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Well, you certainly picked a rare rig to evaluate... :huh:

Depends on your taste in vehicles and your anticipated usage. A Quigley, diesel yet, and even rarer on a GM chassis. Should hold its value (wonder why a 6.5 needed a rebuild??) as it is clean, no apparent surface rust, just low on details. Does it have air conditioning? Might want to know that, unless I missed it. And you've got to understand the care and feeding of a diesel, not at all the same as a gasser.

You could save yourself $10,000 easy and still have money to throw a locker in the rear diff, that should keep you out of most trouble unless you want to sand or mud bog or rock crawl, though its too long for a rock machine. What do you want it to do?  Since its likely to be a cash deal on your part, do you feel comfortable with that high of an investment before the buildout?

We would need more info about you and your needs/wants I think.

Oh, look down below here, on the suggested threads with some common terms (diesel Chevy) there's one by "marigold" from 2-25-15 titled "G30 diesel", which is not about Quigleys but is about a different kind of diesel Chevy van that might possibly interest you, at 1/10th the cost... just sayin'...

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-chevy-G30-diesel

I like Chevy's and I like their diesels but I don't like 4x4 conversions. I don't know if you realize this but that's a Ford front axle on a Chevy. highdesertranger

Nice looking Van but very expensive for what it is.

Few of us really NEED 4x4 capability. Do you?
4x4 is a high priced wear item, usually less fuel milage and rougher riding.

I'd shop for a better deal. The current owner is having a hard time selling it now..... you will experience the same later.

Dave

make sure whomever did the lift did it right, if done wrong,,,,bad news, lots more things to go wrong,,,,and not many of em cheap,,,,,but first and foremost, keep doing your homework, because the more lernin you do now the easier it will be to do when you got to do it. i personally would stay away from 4 wheel drive, and for me gasoline is easier and cheaper, and gasoline is easier to get, not every little town has diesel, its plentiful but you have to be more mindful of it.

Most of these 4WD conversions are done well, what would stop me is the down the road part something will break and where do you take it? unless your a do it yourselfer, pass.

caretaker said:
make sure whomever did the lift did it right, if done wrong,,,,bad news, lots more things to go wrong,,,

If it's a Quigley conversion I wouldn't be worried. They have a very good reputation.
I like this van, but wonder why they had to replace the engine at 165,xxx miles? Was it abused?

I like everything but the price! As others have said, you have more mechanical parts to worry about and the fuel mileage won't be great. Do you really need a 4x4 and how much will you actually use it? If money is no object as far as the purchase price and possible repairs and you really would use or need the 4x4, go for it.

This world isn said:
Well, you certainly picked a rare rig to evaluate... :huh:

Depends on your taste in vehicles and your anticipated usage. A Quigley, diesel yet, and even rarer on a GM chassis. Should hold its value (wonder why a 6.5 needed a rebuild??) as it is clean, no apparent surface rust, just low on details. Does it have air conditioning? Might want to know that, unless I missed it. And you've got to understand the care and feeding of a diesel, not at all the same as a gasser.

You could save yourself $10,000 easy and still have money to throw a locker in the rear diff, that should keep you out of most trouble unless you want to sand or mud bog or rock crawl, though its too long for a rock machine. What do you want it to do?  Since its likely to be a cash deal on your part, do you feel comfortable with that high of an investment before the buildout?

We would need more info about you and your needs/wants I think.

Oh, look down below here, on the suggested threads with some common terms (diesel Chevy) there's one by "marigold" from    2-25-15 titled "G30 diesel", which is not about Quigleys but is about a different kind of diesel Chevy van that might possibly interest you, at 1/10th the cost... just sayin'...

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-chevy-G30-diesel

My research into the 6.5s has made me doubt that I would want to pull the trigger on this one.  According to a poster on dieselplace.com, the 6.5 does not "tolerate abuse" well and tends to be "eccentric".  As someone who is looking for reliability has never owned a diesel, this one would probably be above my head.  Though the allure of a diesel is still with me.  I test drove the van last night and it was fun - really hauls up the hills.  :)

Thanks for the tip on the locker!  I don't necessarily plan on using the 4x4 as much as a nice to have if I need it.  But I'm thinking that the extra $$ is outweighing the peace of mind.

a couple of things, did anyone read my post?

that's a Ford front axle on a Chevy. you think the are some custom one of a kind parts on that? the answer has to be yes. what happens when you need to replace one of those parts? you would hope that Quigley has it in stock if not then what?

as for the 6.5 engine, you can find someone that has something bad to say about any engine. consider this, the 6.2/6.5 are the same engine they have been in continuous production since 1981, that's 36 years. it's the same engine as in a HUMVEE. there are thousand of use engines out there. they are by far the least expensive diesel engine. they have a great parts support system. you can buy the engine brand new from AM General or one of there suppliers. the first generation ones without a computer are supper simple. now you won't win any drag races with them but they get excellent fuel economy. highdesertranger

I think for a non-mechanic she should pass on this, too many possible issues... No doubt the 6.5 motor is sound but why risk other potential problems? For the price get an AWD Express. I saw 3 on the Denver CL just today, less than 160K on 2006 or newer models for $13K or so cost... would make more sense to me, as far as repairability goes.

highdesertranger - Good thoughts. I agree that there are always going to be good and bad things about any motor. My concern, as someone who has never owned a diesel, is that I would be taking on something that needs more care than I'm willing to provide. Maybe if I were more familiar with them, I'd feel differently...

After thinking about it for a day, I'm going to pass on this one. Given that I'm not sure that I will use the 4x4 capabilities it just does not make sense to pay a premium for it.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice. Very helpful!

Wise decision Seattle Sue............

Seattle Sue, I would like to offer an alternative search arena for your van.  I too searched Craigslist, Cars.com, Cargurus, etc. for a van.  I recently checked my local Chevy dealership's website.  There she was.  A15 passenger van that had been traded by a local church.  The next morning, that big hunk of metal and glass came home with me.  Personally, I wanted a passenger van because I'm claustrophobic.  

I live in rural America.  Due to lack of public transportation, our churches use vans to transport parishioners.  If you don't mind windows, checking dealerships in surrounding rural areas may yield a suitable van.  I suppose you could call churches to see if they're considering updating their transportation. Good luck in your search.