6Volt in series question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mpruet said:
I think that what you are saying is that I connect my 12 volt appliances to the ends of the series.  Am I understanding correctly?

Does this help?

6vto12vbatts.PNG

Attachments

• 6vto12vbatts.PNG
    6vto12vbatts.PNG
    90.2 KB
Great link in post #21.. Clears up a lot of questions.
But I'm a dummy and do not understand the very last sentence. Mostly due to definition since we're on opposite sides of the big pond .
Does he mean at the last connection point of the battery(ies) before the leads head off toward the fuse center?

regis101 said:
do not understand the very last sentence.
This sentence?

> The chargers should always be connected to the same points as the loads. Without exception. 

Seems impossible to misunderstand to me.

regis101 said:
Does he mean at the last connection point of the battery(ies) before the leads head off toward the fuse center?
Think of you battery bank as one big battery, because that is what it in fact is.

There is one negative terminal; the first thing off that is a shunt if you have a coulomb-counting SoC monitor, and then it should go to a negative buss, which also gets connected to your engine, chassis, starter negatives etc. This is where your inverter, charger and any DC distribution boxes' negative return gets connected (aka ground, but it isn't really).

There is one positive terminal; first comes the bank fuse, sized a bit lower than the max rating for the wire it's protecting and as close as possible to the bank. Next often comes a bank shutoff switch, placed where you can get to it easily in an emergency or when servicing.

Then comes one or more busses for charging and/or large load devices positive wires to be attached, including distribution boxes, which may include breaker panels, switches and fuses.

There is no difference in these "outside connection" arrangements, whether there is a single 1200AH 12V battery there, or five 240AH 12V in parallel, or if each of those is actually a pair of 240AH 6V in series.

Does that help?

I'm thinking the battery(ies) are a load also.

Referring to the link in post #21, I would think the charger would hook up to

Method 1, top battery + and -
Method 2, top battery + , bottom battery -
Method 3, at the five point connection
Method 4, third battery from top +, second battery from top -

See? toldyaiwasadummy

I'm trying to be the little man running down the wire.

The charger is a source. Solar is a source. I would think it connected to the battery at the best location and from there the additional loads are drawn off via leads to the fuse box or center . No?

regis101 said:
I'm thinking the battery(ies) are a load also.
Only to a charge source, so confusing to think/talk that way. They are batteries, or a bank.

regis101 said:
Referring to the link in post #21, I would think the charger would hook up to

Method 1, top battery + and -
No, in all diagrams, see where it says "to installation"?

Those two red lines are your bank + and - connections.

Nothing gets hooked up to any other connection points, except maybe monitoring wires, they are internal to the bank only.

regis101 said:
I would think it connected to the battery at the best location and from there the additional loads are drawn off via leads to the fuse box or center.
Many installs have several "box or centers", many have none at all, so don't fixate on that.

The charge sources and load devices get connected to the bank at the same terminals.

Am I correct to assume, (there that werd ass again), the wiring from the shore power to DC converter/charger attaches to the battery,
And the wiring from the solar controller attaches to the battery.
I'm drifting off topic so this will be my last post regarding the matter. My apologies to the OP

There is AC wiring from shore power as input to the charger. Then DC wiring from the charger output to the bank.

The SC output goes to the bank same as the charger output.

one thing about that diagram in most RV's the 110v breaker panel, the charger/converter, and the 12v fuse panel are combined into one unit. highdesertranger