65 year old women...scared I don't know enough

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vizsla

Reaction score
IMG_0341.JPGIMG_0341.JPGHello!

In 6 months I plan to hit the road. I own a 4 Runner and I'm planing on buying a 2017 R Pod trailer. It's 19ft  and very easy to tow. My problem is I know almost nothing about pulling a trailer, hitching and unhitching. It's a bit  worrisome . I know nothing about  car mechanics  or fixing stuff in general. Should I worry about this or just go with the flow?

Attachments

• IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    109.4 KB
Go with the flow. Have enough reserves for repairs or replacement if you 4runner was a piece of crap like mine was.

I don't do my own mechanic s. I'm over 60. There's lots of women older and than me that have been doing this for years.

Dont listen to all the advice about carrying a gun and how dangerous it is out here. Carry if you want or don't carry.

Have good tires and road service, I m assuming you will be boondocking in the desert and wilderness, not RV parks.

Your mantra should be,"if dragonfly can tow and hasn't been killed yet, I can tow and not get killed"
Diane

you should educate yourself on these subjects, if you plan on this lifestyle
Pulling a trailer
Find someone who pulls a trailer regularly, like a farmer or ranch hand, or a commercial driver, and ask them to teach you Rent a U Haul 5x8 and practice towing it and backing it
Backing is the hard part, practice it a lot, and go slow any time you're backing a trailer
Car mechanics
Start small and work your way up, at a minimum you should know how to change a tire, the oil, and do a brake job
Once you can do those things, learning more will come easier, and even if you hire out all repair work, knowing what the heck is going on with your car will help when you're dealing with mechanics, not all of whom are honest
How much does that RPod weigh? a 19 foot trailer seems like a lot to tow with a 4Runner

I have a 2015 r-pod model 179. I love it, it has worked flawlessly for me. What model are you getting?? :):)

Yes read up and practice... get help from someone anyone mechanic etc on some basics too.

what I learned about backing a trailer (when I had a small boat) If you put your hand at the top of your steering wheel (12 o clock) and turn around and watch the trailer out the back window... you can back your trailer by moving your hand... in that position if you want the trailer to go one way, turn your wheel hand that way...

Pulling a trailer too fast is probably one of the biggest faults... after not hooking it up securely yeah. Chains help, one of either side of the hitch mount. Make sure your mount is same size and locks down well... put a chain semi loosely on either side attached to the rear of the vehicle... this will help limit sway but also if you don't have a lock on the ball mount and it bounces off, will prevent the tongue from dropping onto the pavement and flipping your trailer up (yeah, need help to see how tight/loose to do that---but easy once you know). If you drive too fast the trailer will begin to move back and forth in the lane and it rarely ends up well... if this occurs first let your foot off the gas to begin to slow... braking might not be the best thing...

It really just takes paying attention to your tow. If you find a good speed on regular roadway, no wind and little big truck air wash... and have cruise control.. then you might be able to think about other things while driving? (At least for me.. one reason I just won't tow anymore!)

Don't be afraid, when backing up to just STOP and pull forward and try again. Jackknifing a trailer isn't fun, trust me. hahahah

Don't be afraid! Some of our best adventures are times of apprehension where we push on through it! Just about everything has a learning curve.

I think you got that backward Dr Jean, that's how I learned to back a trailer; hand at the bottom of the wheel, the trailer goes the same way as your hand, top of the wheel, goes the opposite
as long as i use that trick and go slow, I'm a trailer backing machine! backed my 21 foot long, 8 foot wide Travel trailer onto my property between 2 trees 9 feet apart without a spotter. Took a few tries though lol, and i was nervous as a long tailed cat in a roomful of rockers

Learning to drive a car was a LOT more complicated than hitching up a trailer, and you did that okay, right? Just find a reliable person to show you how to do the job. Take a pad of paper and a pen, and then WRITE DOWN EVERY LITTLE STEP. Type it up, have it laminated and keep it in the car, so you don't forget some crucial little step.

Don't settle for fast directions by an impatient dimwit -- INSIST on getting the particulars and the WHY of what you're doing.

A co-worker of mine had a great idea when she needed to learn how to do it.  She drove the car and small trailer to a store parking lot that was closed on Sundays, and took some cardboard boxes with her.

She set out the cardboard boxes (aka 'traffic safety cones') and kept practicing backing up until she got it right.  She said it took a good part of the day.  :D

For me, it would probably take all the daylight hours in a week.

p.s.      

Especially in the beginning, it would be a good thing to hang around with other (normal-looking and acting) people, like at an RTR, or where some of the other people from this forum are.  This will allow you to feel your way around van camping, wilderness areas, depending on yourself, etc.  Face it, you probably have quite a bit to learn, but you can do it.

You're not leaving what currently passes for civilization -- there are people out there who know how to change oil and tires and how to fix things.  But keeping up with your vehicle maintenance is important.  Check your fluids frequently to avoid expensive surprises.  Keep extra water, oil, coolant, transmission fluid (etc) in the rig.  Buy the big bottle of each and a funnel.  If you never need it, it was cheap insurance.  If someone else desperately needs it, you'll be a heroine.

If you need a repair and have access to the web, check the online reviews for the businesses in that area that do that kind of work.  Personally, I would avoid Les Schwab unless you have plenty of money.  Schwab's motto is "If We Can't Guarantee It, We Won't Sell It."  It sounds good, but here's the translation:  "We will replace every single part remotely associated with the repair (even if there wasn't anything wrong with it) and drive the bill sky-high." IMPO.

You intuition/subconscious is the most valuable resource you have.  It never sleeps, and is paying attention all the time, but its warnings are subtle.  YOU need to pay attention to IT.  Many women tend to override a bad feeling for fear of insulting someone -- that's why they sometimes end up in multiple garbage bags and shallow graves.

Read the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker.  It will help you trust your intuition by showing you how it works.  If something seems wrong, it probably is; leaving a paid-for camp site can be the cheapest deal you ever make.

Learn to think for yourself -- and don't mimic others until you think about it for a bit.  Many fools will get out of their cars and walk up wild bears and bison for photographs -- DON'T.  Many people think hot springs and hot tubs are the same thing (there's often a difference of a hundred degrees). 

Don't take any one person's word as gospel -- just like the web is full of misinformation, so are some people. 

Fix up a decent first aid kit - the stuff that will get the most use will be for punctures, cuts and burns.  And get a tetanus booster before you leave home.

Learn about lightning -- where to park, what not to do -- did you know it can travel sideways, and it can strike more than 15 miles from its source?

Never forget:  learning is fun if you do it before you need it.  Afterward... well, not so much.

ArtW said:
Car mechanics
Start small and work your way up, at a minimum you should know how to change a tire, the oil, and do a brake job
Once you can do those things, learning more will come easier, and even if you hire out all repair work, knowing what the heck is going on with your car will help when you're dealing with mechanics, not all of whom are honest

Now here I have to disagree with the part I bolded.

Sorry but by the time we females are 65, being able to actually do those three things is more than likely not in the cards.

Knowing HOW they should be done is practical as is knowing WHEN then need to be done. But to actually do them..even having done them all the time I was younger, they are not things I attempt to do today!!

Rut roh! hahaha sorry about that... there is a reason I went on medical leave and never returned

"Backing up a trailer is counter-intuitive. If you want to back up with a trailer, the trailer moves in the opposite direction of the back of the vehicle. This can get complicated and you can find yourself moving back and forth and pulling forward for another try. Here is the trick I use to simplify the process. I put my left hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, so the 6 o’clock position. When I move my hand to the right, the trailer goes right. When I move my hand to the left, the trailer goes left. "

BOTTOM of the steering wheel. (What was I thinkin')?

"at a minimum you should know how to change a tire, the oil, and do a brake job"

I have AAA for flats and pay someone for maintenance. It's been years since I've been able to do any of that.

Good Sam Club or Coachnet can provide decent service, I'm not sure how AAA treats a trailer, it may be just as good.

You're starting with a very nice trailer, make sure the dealer does a very good pre-delivery and if you can get someone knowledgeable to go with you to nit-pick it.

I don't know the percentages of male and female travelers but I suspect it's close to 50/50, I see many women doing quite well and seem to enjoy the life.

My best wishes. Be safe

Rob

Thank you all for your advice. I  appreciate all the response . I am buying a 2017 RPod 179 model. I am changing out the toilet for a composting toilet and adding   Solar . My 4Runner. Can tow 5000 pounds and the R Pod is about 2700 pounds. I'm not carrying a gun but my dog  Harley" a Vizsla, will at least sound   Fierce. ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.5 KB
Beautiful pup. Looks serious in the picture.

Almost There said:
Now here I have to disagree with the part I bolded.

Sorry but by the time we females are 65, being able to actually do those three things is more than likely not in the cards.

Knowing HOW they should be done is practical as is knowing WHEN then need to be done. But to actually do them..even having done them all the time I was younger, they are not things I attempt to do today!!

If you read the part you bolded, I said "know how" not "be able to do" I don't think there's a point of contention there

Well you have almost 2x the tow capacity you need, that should be fine, even on steep climbs, I didn't realize the 4runner had that high a tow capacity
My own 21' Shasta weight 3163, and my Ranger has a capacity of only 4000 :(
Most people are too squeamish to pull the trigger on a gun when they should, a dog is a better idea for those people, believe me, no matter how sweet tempered, most dogs have no problem being fierce when their human is threatened

I agree about sudden fury from your dog , might not happen but a good chance it will.
For most bad guys seeing that dog would make them say , " I think I'll find something easier".

@ Visla
As someone else has already advised , i agree to mayby rent a trailer and tow it around a little to get a idea what its like to tow a trailer .

Preach said:
I have a 2015 r-pod model 179. I love it, it has worked flawlessly for me. What model are you getting?? :):)

I've never towed a trailer , can you even feel that the trailer is back there when your pulling it?
Any yanking/ pulling when hitting bumps while driving down the highway?
Does the wind blow them around any?
As far as hitching / unhitching and backing up , i think practice would solve those issues pretty fast.