6'4" and looking for a B class

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasVanGuy

Reaction score
I'm 6'3 and single. What are my options for standing up headroom?  I would need 6'4 headroom for a class B. Any recommendations??

I spent 2 weeks in San Diego, car camping in a Honda Element. It was fun but as 6'3 it wasn't sustainable.

My van is one of the bigger class b vans I've seen. I'm 5'10" and I can stand up with only a thin margin of headroom in some places. I think at your height you will be hard pressed to find something existing that suits you. Consider something like a step van and building your own interior. Maybe a Dodge Promaster.

Someone else chime in if you have any other thoughts.

I'm 6'4" and the only van I've ever been able to stand up in has been the Mercedes Sprinter with a high-top. The Roadtrek comes close, but it's wee bit too short to truly stand up straight. If you could find an ex-shuttle bus or wheelchair van, you might be able to pull it off, but I don't know how plentiful those are on the used car/truck market.

My cargo van conversion has the 24" high top added and it has head clearance of 6'2".

I lost an inch of height with the floor and and another 1 1/4" with the ceiling installation.

The only way to find out which models have what headroom would be to try out as many as you can at a dealer and then go shopping for specific years and models.

I don't believe most class Bs are going to be your answer but I've been wrong before.   :rolleyes:

Being 6'4" I can commiserate.  It is rare to find any camper, RV, TT or else that truly gives me standup height, much less a good proper bed I can stretch out in.  My 'big' van, the E150 Conversion Van, has a mid top, so is a bit cramped, but works for a few days roadtrip.  Before I go FT, I will cut the top out and extend it up.

I also wish that commercial RV's would have standard 80" beds.

For standing height, Class B's have raised roofs and lowered floors, but I think some of the newer Class B's based on Sprinters etc. tend to be even taller, but you might just have to be willing to stoop a little. People here say they don't tend to do much walking around in such a small space anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. I realize this is a tall order (pun intended). I would like a class B because I would be city living in San Diego and I don't want to pay for an RV park. They are frickin expense in SD so some stealth would be nice. The cheapest one I found is $650 per month plus electric. Maybe a small class C is in order. Maybe 19-24 ft. I just want the smallest option that is still livable long term. I do have a budget of up to $60k.

Your last comment seems to overrule this idea, but I'll mention it.

I bought a former transit van that had a wheel chair lift. It is an extended cargo van which means it is just an inch or so shy of 20' long. But my Dodge model is also quite thin... which I love. Fits within a normal parking space much like a Tundra I used to drive a lot.

But because of the need for crew to assist with the wheelchair (or maybe just because it was used as a transit bus, they had put a double walled high top on it. Overall, it is 9'5" (there is a sticker on the dash that reminds drivers of this height). My brother-in-law (who did most of my build and all the mechanical stuff it needed) is 6'2" and there were at least a couple of inches to spare above his head when he stands straight.

The problem for you with this type of van is that it is not very stealth. Even with all the exterior writing removed or painted over, it looks like what it was built for. I'll attach a pic. Now I have NO problem staying in places like a Walmart or truck stop lot, but if I needed the quiet of a residential street, then I'd stand out badly.

Cities and counties retire such small buses and I think many are sold at auction (mine was a private sale). Just another idea if you have the willingness to build your interior needs.

Attachments

• Homestake east camp.jpg
    Homestake east camp.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18