6 Weeks To Go

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all -

This is my first post here to say hello! In December of 2018 I lost my job and that was the turning point for me.
I looked at all of the stresses that my career had brought me over the years and I said "I can't do it again". I had no desire to start a new position and prove myself to strangers so I spent my energy developing a plan to change how I lived. The last 6 months have had me well outside of my comfort zone and I spent many nights seesawing back and forth in my mind wondering if my decisions were good ones. In this time I drove to Arkansas and came back with a rig, sold 2 cars (1 more to go), 2 motorcycles, many assorted household items on ebay and craigslist, and finally placed the house up for sale on May 31st. 2 days later I accepted an offer and I'm spending my last weeks building on my 2002 E450 based Marque ambulance. Learning about its electrical system has been a required challenge for me because a phone call to Marque told me that after 2 company acquisitions, they no longer have any records of builds from my trucks era. The stories I've read of other ambulance owners receiving full schematics of their rigs don't apply to me and I was forced to learn it's systems on my own. I have removed unneeded wiring, sirens, lights, switch panels, etc and have started adding the items that I picked up over the months. Once we're into July the exterior is next and I plan to paint it so it no longer looks like an EMS vehicle.

After the house closing on July 30th, my plan is for us (me and my dog) to leave NY and travel west... and that's as far as my plan goes. Bob's videos started me on this trek and I want to thank him when I run across him somewhere.

Welcome Campulanceman to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Welcome! I know it is hard, life can't always be a bowl of cherries as we all know and then we hit that 'point of break' in our life when we find a way out for a whole new lifestyle.....go glad you are heading that way and deciding to do what you want to do and roll with that!!

Ambo. Many do conversions on Ambos, hit the 'net and find info on those who love their Ambos and you might get more help if needed.

Sounds like you are doing well, house sold and a timeline to hit the road.....you and your pooch will love it :)

Huge change in lifestyle for you! Congratulations on making that decision, for freedom. I've heard an ambulance is a good choice.

Welcome, I would like to say if there is anything I might be able to help with feel free to drop me a line. You will find many here that are willing to do the same.

Crabbyjerry said:
where in ny are you leaving from?

Hi Crabby - I'm in West Henrietta, a suburb of Rochester NY. Other than a 1 year job in CA back in the 90's, I've lived my whole life here and have liked the winters less and less as I've aged.

same, northerner here and now I live in NC. winters get tougher as I got older ;)