6' tall and no high top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollyChamp

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I finally found a van back on April 3rd and spent the last 3 weeks doing mostly mechanical work.  It's a 1997 dodge ram van 2500.  And as the title of the thread suggests it's not a high top.   As of today all the mechanical work is done.  For now...  I am waiting on the new bars for a roof rack to show up later this week and I plan on sandblasting and repainting the roof this summer when I have access tot he equipment I need.  I've sanded and repainted the major rust spots but my main concern right now is figuring out how to sleep comfortably in the van when I am 6' even. I've noticed most people fit their beds in the van and rely on the space underneath for storage and the small space up front for a kitchen/living room.  I plan on attending college while living in this van so I would like to have enough room for a small desk.  I can't use the space behind the passenger seat because I have to be able to take it out to access the engine.  The doghouse doesn't come clear off otherwise.  I am looking for advice on how to solve the bed situation.  has anyone ever done a twin mattress in one of these?  Or does anyone have an idea on something I could do?

You will most likely have to have the bed so that it runs from front to back. Vans are not wide enough for you to sleep from side to side. If the bed is wide enough, some people put the bed from side to side, and then sleep on it diagonally.

If you can sleep on a narrow bed it will make the layout easier. The bed I sleep in is 31" wide. A twin is 38" wide I think. You may be able to make a desk using two night stands, (bedside tables with drawers),  with boards or plywood bridging them. Shop the second hand stores. Small folding tables can also sometimes be used as a desk.

You can have the bed on one side of the van, and make a cabinet on the other side, (make it so that it has a fold down shelf that can be your desk while you sit on the bed. Here is one that I built for a friend that does computer work for a living, (her van is a high top, but the same thing can be done in a shorter version.      Youtube is a good place to look for ideas. Search van camper, etc.

1118161333a.jpg    1118161332a.jpg

Attachments

• 1118161333a.jpg
    1118161333a.jpg
    472.1 KB
  • 1118161332a.jpg
    1118161332a.jpg
    360.7 KB
Look up the Rolling Steel Tent, which belongs to our own Mr Noodly here on the forum. He has a twin bed down one side, set to the back. And on his he kept the original metal contractor shelving I believe across from the bed. His shelving unit has a door that folds down that seems like its a good height to be a desk while sitting on the bed. If your van doesn't have shelving, you can probably find some cheap in a junk yard, or just make some yourself from plywood. By making them yourself you can customize the door height from the floor, and also the overall height of the door to make it the optimal desk. I do the same thing with the fold down door of my camp kitchen box - when folded down it makes the perfect small desk when sitting on a stool I keep in my trailer.

I would recommend against sand blasting any vehicle that is anymore than a shell. the dust from blasting is going to get in everywhere there is no way to keep it out 100%. get a angle grinder and flapper wheels and go at it. highdesertranger

I'm 6 feet tall, too. I have a twin XL bed (longer than standard twins, for adults) running the length of the van behind the driver. I have a cabinet running along the other wall with a door that flips down to use as a desk/table while I sit on the bed. I have stuff stored under the bed.

highdesertranger said:
I would recommend against sand blasting any vehicle that is anymore than a shell.  the dust from blasting is going to get in everywhere there is no way to keep it out 100%.  get a angle grinder and flapper wheels and go at it.  highdesertranger

Thanks,  I will keep that in mind.

Thank you all for the advice.  I will let you all know what I decide on doing.

I am 6'3. I bought a good sleeping pad for camping and I just lean that against the wall upright during day or roll it up. It's very comfy. You could also get a tri fold futon and foam. You may want a real bed, though. Good luck on your schooling!

its too bad you don't have access to a good air supply,,,a needle/descailer from granger would make quick work of ANY paint job,,,and rust,,,i love mine

Cancan said:
I am 6'3. I bought a good sleeping pad for camping and I just lean that against the wall upright during day or roll it up. It's very comfy. You could also get a tri fold futon and foam. You may want a real bed, though. Good luck on your schooling!

I want a bed if I can manage it. I've also debated doing a cot but a mattress will be preferable I will be crashing in the van for a week here soon with a hammock before I start doing work on the interior.

GotSmart said:
How about a nice recliner?

Believe me I debated on just taking my recliner but I need a proper bed or cot to sleep on. I've got a few back problems from a 4wheeler accident when I was 16.