6 cylinder or 8

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooker

Reaction score
Getting a GMC regular wheel base van, is a 6 cylinder enough or should i get the 8 cylinder if i can afford it

There is no replacement for displacement. Full time living usually requires carrying everything you own which is usually heavy. I usually recommend a V8 in a 3/4 ton vehicle or 1 ton if you may someday tow a large trailer. If you will only take a backpack of stuff and use the vehicle as a metal tent then a 6 cylinder will work.

Depends on where you travel and how much you will be carrying.

If you will live in it full-time you may end up carrying a lot of weight in batteries,water, a fridge,cabinets or other stuff you may want in your rig.

If you carry passengers (even a couple of big dogs) that's more weight.

If you plan to travel often in mountains, you'll want a V8 IMO.

Keep in mind that engines have come a long way in recent years, and newer V-6's in many cases are more potent than older V-8's. Plus the more modern six-and-sometimes-more-speed transmissions help as well. A lot therefore depends on how new the vehicle is. I have very happily towed a 6x10 trailer plus about a thousand-pound payload with a 2016 4.3 Chevy 4x4 pickup in mountainous terrain. While this isn't an exact analog for a loaded van, it's certainly in the same general ballpark.

I bought a v-8.... I didn't want to get by with a v-6.

V-8 hands down! no brainer...

Vans are not the most aerodynamic vehicles anyway and when you start adding stuff to the roof (I'm in the process of designing my solar water heater at the moment) it gets worse. I agree with HDR-- a V6 will strain under a heavy load and not get enough better gas mileage to justify not having the 8-- also many V-8s come with a switch for hauling a trailer that will change the shifting of the transmission to handle heavy loads whereas most 6s don't. Take it nice and easy on the drivetrain and it will give you good service! :thumbsup:

You'll get 90% votes for a V8, and basically they are correct. You will be working a V6 hard with a full-sized van and all of your gear. Don't sweat the gas mileage difference. It's little compared to your savings in rent!

As far as engines in general... V-nothing. Straight 6.

The AMC/Jeep straight 6, the BMW straight 6, and the Cummins diesel straight 6 are all IMO some of the best engines in existence.

4 cyl a 2 litre a 2.4 or 3 litr Toyota gas or deisel will outrun any Chevy 8 cyl in the long run get better gas mileage and cost less to maintain. Nissan, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, even some of those Chinese vans LDV that look like transits are proving high mileage runners with very strong and reliable 4 cyl. Don’t those new Ford transits and Fiats labelled Dodge come with 4 cylinders. However if you are buying Chevy then what others have said has long been the belief that if you are straining a 6 you are better off with an 8. I think towing is more about gears nowadays with those fancy multiple geared transmissions in newer vehicles I am not so sure about the old beliefs about the differences between 6 and 8 cylinders. It is always a good idea to stick with an engine that has a tried and true reputation, easy parts access and people that are knowledgeable at repairing them.

I have a V-6, happy with it. (I didn't go looking for one, it happened to be in the van in the best shape that I could afford.)

My build is pretty much a no-build build, and I don't push the engine to go faster than what it wants to go. that can mean going 45 up a steep pass. But I'm in no hurry. And yes, I pull over.

Barleyguy--

Inline 6 engines are great-- just not available in a lot of models... simpler engine design and reliable.

A story-- I was doing a solar install in Mobile ALA coming from North Central Fla with a crew and two trucks and trailers. One trailer was loaded with photovoltaic panels/DHW panels and all the assorted electrical components. The other was loaded with 2.5 tons of Trojan batteries. I was
driving a Dodge with the Cummings inline 6 hauling the panels and my buddy was driving a ford powerstroke V8 with the batteries. I pulled into a rest stop for a bathroom break and had to wait 15 minutes for the other truck to catch up. So I was ribbing him about driving like a little old lady while having a V8 while I had the six. He got insulted and said "Yeah? Let's switch trailers!": So we did. And guess what?

I walked away from him again! And I wasn't romping on it-- I just let the motor do the work! That Cummings Turbo Diesel is a GREAT motor! :D

I thought this thread was about a v-6 or v-8 in a VAN, not a diesel truck or Toyota. Big difference.....

Snooker only ask 6 or 8 and didn't specify.  It's still informative for anyone who doesn't know much about it.

My first Van had an inline 6 and it wasn't loaded that heavy.  I could tow a 14 ft 40 hp runabout boat with it easily enough. (with some camping equipment in it)

The most I towed was a 10 X 6 rental trailer with the Van loaded when I was moving back from school.
Mostly flat roads with a few grades.  The Van had a 400:1 rear gear and not sure about the final ratio of the standard Trans.  But it's ability hauling that load surprised me.

I bough my E 350 High Top Ford with the 351 V8 looking to a time I could full time and travel in it. I'm happy with the choice.  But I miss the gas mileage of that old "6".

I have a V-6 Chevy Van coupled with a 9 speed trans and it has plenty of power for my needs and decent fuel mileage. Most 4 wheeler drivers think they have to do 70 MPH up and down steep grades and mountains and many times I see them pulled over and smoking either the brakes or the motor. Non professional drivers tend to drive an RV like a passenger car, they run 70 MPH or more hauling a lot of weight. Jump in behind a big truck pulling a steep grade and save your stuff whatever you are driving, keep your speed down, on the flat and down the grades and you wont be telling a sob story of needing a transmission or an engine.

Newer full-sized vehicles with 8, 9 10 speeds can get away with a six. Older f.s. vans with a 3 or 4 speed have such wide gear spacing that they benefit from the added power of an 8.

There's older straight 6 engines that chug up any hill/mtn only do it rather slowly. Nothing wrong with that, and they are cheaper to rebuild and it is just hard to find them much anymore. The Ford 300-6 was one of the best ever engines, if you can find a pickup or van that has it.

If you are talking about an older van (before mid 2000s) then I would get the V8.

Newer vans are just fine with the V6.

The 3.8L V6 in my promaster has every bit as much power as the 5.9L V8 in my 89 dodge. Due to more gears in the transmission it outperforms it. The decision can't be made in a vacuum.

But if we are just talking about vans more than 15 years old, they will have 3 or 4 speed transmissions and will be much better with the v8