5X8 or 6X12?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's the plan. However, I keep vacillating between doing this and just putting up metal building on a small piece of land somewhere. Either way I would be selling the house and paying cash so that I don't have a payment.

Ugh! Indecisiveness is killing me.

Well, I have narrowed it down to either 6X10 or 6X12. Leaning toward the 12 footer. Just sold the big truck, so I have cash on hand to buy it. Hard to find exactly what I want, though. I'd really like to get a NEO all aluminum, but I'm Louisiana and the closest dealer that has any in stock is in northern Michigan. So that would add upwards of $1000 to it just in fuel and hotel(s). Sheesh!

I'm gonna hit a couple of local dealerships in the coming week to see what they have in stock.

Presteaux... the place to get a good cargo trailer is in south Georgia. I really like mine.

Presteaux! said:
Well, I have narrowed it down to either 6X10 or 6X12.  Leaning toward the 12 footer.  

The 10 and 12 footers probably weigh within 50 pounds of each other, the costs are usually within a couple of hundred dollars, and with no increased penalty on wind resistance. 

I would (and did) opt for the 12 foot trailer. 

At this size, 2 feet longer is about 20% more space inside.

tx2sturgis said:
The 10 and 12 footers probably weigh within 50 pounds of each other, the costs are usually within a couple of hundred dollars, and with no increased penalty on wind resistance. 

I would (and did) opt for the 12 foot trailer. 

At this size, 2 feet longer is about 20% more space inside.

We are thinking alike!  I have found your pricing information to be accurate.  And I'm thinking that the extra 2 feet could come in handy.

Riverman said:
Presteaux... the place to get a good cargo trailer is in south Georgia.  I really like mine.

Those guys are advertising heavily on my local Craig's List.  And then there's a "veteran" (I put that in quotes because being a veteran myself I'm not sure about the folks who have to put it in your face so many times on their page like this guy does, kinda like those "Christian" businesses who prey on Christians) who says that his north Mississippi trailers are better than the ones built in Georgia--which he insinuates are junk.  It gets hard to figure out who to believe.  But if you like yours, I definitely will not rule out the Georgia trailers!

Several guys told me who to call in GA, I did and my experience was 100% positive.

The trailer was ready in two weeks, and built to my specs.

I am very happy...

How long would a cargo trailer last before it would fall apart boon docking? 
 Would a 1/2 ton full size cargo van be able to last with a 6x10 trailer?

Too many variables to give specific answers.

Some fall apart within a few seasons of hard travel.

Go easy and better build quality can last decades

popcorn2007 said:
How long would a cargo trailer last before it would fall apart boon docking? 
 Would a 1/2 ton full size cargo van be able to last with  a 6x10 trailer?

I'll let you know how long mine lasts...in a few years!  As for the 1/2 ton, I don't see why not.  I'm planning to pull mine with a '95 Camaro Z28.  I used to pull a pair of WaveRunners with the '96 Z28 and pulled just fine!  And that's almost 1,000 pounds each plus a couple hundred for the trailer.  Double the weight of this size trailer.  Well, until you start putting your stuff in it.

Presteaux! said:
I am in the planning stages at the moment.  I will be using a SMALL vehicle to tow.  I am 5'10" tall and would like to be able to stand up in it, but mostly standing is okay if I absolutely must.

So, with the small vehicle weight is an important factor for me.  Is there a substantial weight difference between a 5X8 and 6X12?  I would like to be able to put my bed in sideways as that seems to be the most efficient use of space and would free up lots of other space.

I am not planning to go all out and have water tanks.  I'm an 18-wheeler driver, so I'm accustomed to handling the routines that require water in an urban camping type of environment.  And I'm pretty sure that I will begin by staying urban with future plans to get more wilderness.

Anybody have a good guess of what a 6X12 weighs?  Oh, I guess I mean steel since all aluminum seems to be prohibitively expensive.
My car is an S.U.V. 3.2 engine, I was same debate going, so I researched it, and the 5X8 is much lighter, and you can stand up in it. Most are 76inches so plenty of head room, the bed issue was also in my research, I decided to go with one without the side door, and just go with the barn doors. If you put the bed at the back and you are the only one using it, Walmart sells a fold up guest mattress that is only 2.25 inches wide and 6.5 feet long so it very comfortable, but i'm also using the left over room at the back wall for my kichen area, now here is were it gets tricky, beside the bed, build your counter 3 feet high but put the frame right up to the roof. make sure you do all your framing for the kitchen and the bed all at once, bed is 2 feet off the ground for the frame, now depending on how far out you want you storage to be, I am coming out 2 feet on the bottom with top as counter, but up top where I put the rest of the framing for the shelves I will only be coming out just over 1.25 feet. the shelves over the bed will be high enough that if you put  plywood on the part I said to go all the way up to the roof, after you get the shelves built, you can use the area under the shelves and above the bed to hang coats or clothes, but you got enough space to use it as a closet , i'm just hanging a curtain so it don't stick out, and there is plenty of space left over for your feet to be down at that end. Hope you understand what i'm  saying. Just start looking at video's of others and get idea's. I'm even building a little box, for sitting for the kitchen area, but the lid will be hinged and so will the front of it. So I can hide my potty. oh go to Cargo trailer sites and look at new ones, they always have the specs where you will find the weight of the trailers, my 5x8 will be for curb weight 700 lbs, so I figure after all the work it will be less than 1000lbs.

Presteaux! said:
I am in the planning stages at the moment.  I will be using a SMALL vehicle to tow.  I am 5'10" tall and would like to be able to stand up in it, but mostly standing is okay if I absolutely must.

So, with the small vehicle weight is an important factor for me.  Is there a substantial weight difference between a 5X8 and 6X12?  I would like to be able to put my bed in sideways as that seems to be the most efficient use of space and would free up lots of other space.

I am not planning to go all out and have water tanks.  I'm an 18-wheeler driver, so I'm accustomed to handling the routines that require water in an urban camping type of environment.  And I'm pretty sure that I will begin by staying urban with future plans to get more wilderness.

Anybody have a good guess of what a 6X12 weighs?  Oh, I guess I mean steel since all aluminum seems to be prohibitively expensive.
I'm buying a 5x8 and depending on which brand of trailer you go with, mine will be a Miska Mustang STET 5' Wide single axle. And it is 76 inchs high, so 6.3 feet, but after insalation and roofing, I would say 6.2 at the most. and the curb weight of it is 700lbs before I do anything to it, So if I keep it to under or around 200 lbs of framing shelves and appliances, I will be under the 1000lbs I prefer to be at. just go to dealer sites and look at the trailers on line, they usually have the specs when you click on the different sizes.

I'm in negotiations right now to get a 6X12 that is already insulated in the walls and roof with a roof vent. And it seems like the weights are all over the place!

I really wanted all aluminum, but the price double to triple that of a trailer with a steel frame. So I decided to settle for steel. I've seen weights anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200 for these. But one dealer I went to did some addition and subtraction using the information plate at the front left of the trailer and told me that it was 900 pounds. Probably not since that's about what the aluminum trailers weigh.

I'm hoping that I can the trailer I'm looking at for a good price so that I can start getting it ready.

Damn. The trailer that I was so sure I wanted got sold to someone else. And I'm a bit ashamed to admit that the transaction has taken so much wind from my sails that I'm rethinking my situation. Don't know what I'm going to do.

Learn from it.

When you start shopping for a given type of purchase secondhand, it takes a while to get a basic feel for what's quality, market prices and good value.

Once you have that, get your cash out of the bank, and when you see a bargain, do what you gotta do, drive over cash in hand and secure the deal ASAP.

But when it gets away, just know another one will come, just might need to travel further or pay a bit more.

Neither really matters much in the long run, be persistent, don't let minor setbacks divert you from your goals.

Trailers are everywhere, they are a commodity...trust me, you will find another one, maybe even a better one for less money.

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”[/font]

―Seneca

Presteaux! said:
Damn.  The trailer that I was so sure I wanted got sold to someone else.  And I'm a bit ashamed to admit that the transaction has taken so much wind from my sails that I'm rethinking my situation.  Don't know what I'm going to do.

I've been finding that most are very close to the same price as new, only difference is they have converted it, and if its been done the way you can live in it fine, But what I love about getting it new, I know that I can design it my way, that's why I can go with an 8x5 and have lots of room for a bed that's 6 feet long plus counter top for cooking plus lots of storage above the counter and bed and under bed, and under counter, I've even in my plans have 1.5 feet left over from the bed area to build a storage area behind one of the rear doors, and use the other as my entrance, I've even managed with watching slims video to design a shower box seat with potty. that will also be utilized as me seat for a table that folds down and goes into storage area when not in use. A lot of my appliances run off propane so only thing I want to do is make a boxed area on front of trailer to hold the tanks and then just thread the hoses threw to the inside of trailer. I also have lots of left over space not used above the bed for 4 feet plus the other side of the trailer where my shower box seat combo is going has nothing above it, so will not build anything till I see if I need more space for storage, but I don't think I will, since the bed is 2 feet off the ground it will have lots of storage under for clothing and blankets. plus I will have 3 feet under the counter for 2.75 feet for anything I will need for kitchen storage like water, pots and pans, the shelves above the counter will be for my eating and food storage, so hope this helps you a bit with decided on what to do and what size trailer you will actually need. The reason I can get away with an 8x5 is that I purchased a folding mattress from Walmart and its 2.25 feet wide, which is plenty of width to be comfortable, just like sleeping on a couch but longer. My hanging clothes closet will be under the selves that go over the bed, they only take up 1.5 feet from the top, so that leaves 2.5 feet to the end of the bed, so I will hang a bar across and then just put up a curtain to hide it instead of doors, leaving lots of space for my legs and feet under them.

Our cargo trailer we are building is 7 x 16'. There are 2 adults plus 2 50-pound dogs.

We have "just enough" room. We went 7' wide to see around it. Our beds are 2 cots that are positioned across the width near the ramp door. We can lay flat, raise the head area to make a lounger, or ....

When you walk in the ramp door you can flip the end of the cot up and out of your path. You can add some pillow action on top of that and have a chair seat to sit and eat and look out the window in the winter cold.

There used to be a way to upload photos on posts but that feature is no longer showing up.

I figured that this space seems to be perfect for 2 and for every additinal person I would add 3 feet to the length. If we wanted more storage, and most people would, we would do the 8 foot wide.

Note that we will have additional storage in lieu of storage bays by using the pickup truck bed and a camper shell. If we didn't have this we would have gone with the 8' size and a little longer.

Important: If buying a cargo trailer "already insulated" find out what type of insulation was used. I have seen spray foam disasters. We were hyped on the blue jean stuff until we learned it gets really heavy if it gets wet and would take forever to dry.

One can insulate with Reflectix and get an R-value of 1 to 2. Other insulation stiff boards might be 3 but another might be 6. Check their fire ratings as well.

I saw a Dow Corning video that used a temperature gun to look for shoddy insulation and gaps letting the cold or heat in or out.

Mineral Wool is awesome for fire protection but a 2' x 4' section weighs 6 lbs.

There is an air gap in the channels of the cargo trailers. I filled mine with a taco shell of reflectix and added some blanket insulation and covered that with aluminum tape to seal the chamber. A lot of work but not one single open air channel in my build.

We used R-MAX Thermasheath-3 stiff board insulation. We used 1" which has a R-value of 6 and good fire properties. It has a radiant barrier on both sides. I think by the time we finish the ceiling (all walls done, part of the ceiling curve done) we will probably have used about 10 of them total. Once the walls were done the difference was amazing. These things get HOT without it - like a solar cooker. So do this part right.

Christjne nothing has changed you still upload pics the same way. perhaps you are trying to do it in the "Quick Reply" box. you need to go to that black box that says "New Reply". highdesertranger

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
Important:  If buying a cargo trailer "already insulated" find out what type of insulation was used.  I have seen spray foam disasters.  We were hyped on the blue jean stuff until we learned it gets really heavy if it gets wet and would take forever to dry.  

One can insulate with Reflectix and get an R-value of 1 to 2.  Other insulation stiff boards might be 3 but another might be 6.  Check their fire ratings as well.

I saw a Dow Corning video that used a temperature gun to look for shoddy insulation and gaps letting the cold or heat in or out.

Mineral Wool is awesome for fire protection but a 2' x 4' section weighs 6 lbs.

There is an air gap in the channels of the cargo trailers.  I filled mine with a taco shell of reflectix and added some blanket insulation and covered that with aluminum tape to seal the chamber.  A lot of work but not one single open air channel in my build.

We used R-MAX Thermasheath-3 stiff board insulation.  We used 1" which has a R-value of 6 and good fire properties.  It has a radiant barrier on both sides.  I think by the time we finish the ceiling (all walls done, part of the ceiling curve done) we will probably have used about 10 of them total.  Once the walls were done the difference was amazing.  These things get HOT without it - like a solar cooker.  So do this part right.
that's great but he said he is towing with a small car and he's 5'10, so I was giving him idea's for the 5x8 to show he can do it if he really thinks about it.