5X8 or 6X12?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water in the holding tanks is (in my opinion) only for toilet use, showers, and washing dishes.

I did not use that water for cooking or drinking, which means I carried many gallons of clean, sealed, drinking water. 

Plus, it's not unusual to carry a hundred pounds of canned, frozen, and fresh food.

And a lot of us carry 50 pounds of tools or more. 

It all adds up:

Spare tire, flashlights, small propane bottles, bedding, towels, hygiene items, laundry soaps, cleaning supplies, pots and pans, dishware, tv, winter clothing, trailer jack, charcoal grill and charcoal, toilet chemicals, shoes, boots, a couple of throw rugs, lubricants, etc on and on.

When I cleaned out my 22ft RV before I sold it, all of the stuff would not fit in the back of my pickup...I had to make 2 trips. 

It's amazing what you can cram into even a small RV.

Presteaux! said:
Carrying capacity of 2,335 pounds, so I was 500 pounds below that.
I guess that's what aluminum gets you, thanks for clarifying!

your house battery(s) add a lot of weight. plus all the stuff mentioned. if you want to boondock for a couple of weeks at a time you will be surprise on how much weight you add. a gallon of water per day for 2 weeks = 110 lbs plus. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
Water in the holding tanks is (in my opinion) only for toilet use, showers, and washing dishes.

I did not use that water for cooking or drinking, which means I carried many gallons of clean, sealed, drinking water. 

Plus, it's not unusual to carry a hundred pounds of canned, frozen, and fresh food.

And a lot of us carry 50 pounds of tools or more. 

It all adds up:

Spare tire, flashlights, small propane bottles, bedding, towels, hygiene items, laundry soaps, cleaning supplies, pots and pans, dishware, tv, winter clothing, trailer jack, charcoal grill and charcoal, toilet chemicals, shoes, boots, a couple of throw rugs, lubricants, etc on and on.

When I cleaned out my 22ft RV before I sold it, all of the stuff would not fit in the back of my pickup...I had to make 2 trips. 

It's amazing what you can cram into even a small RV.

Holy smokes, man!  I'm pretty sure I won't have room for all that.

John61CT said:
I guess that's what aluminum gets you, thanks for clarifying!

Please help me understand something.  In the other post, you made it sound as though the weight of the trailer directly affects the weight you can carry on said trailer.  Is there a scientific basis for this, or is it just one of those "that's how it's always been done" things?

Well, a trailer rated as able to carry a max weight X, usually itself weighs within a certain range, given normal skills of the engineer/builder and normal materials (steel).

A designer/engineer with good skills, combined with using lighter and pricier materials (aluminum, carbon fiber etc) can aim for a higher ratio than normal, as with your example.

I am in the process of trying to get as light as possible a trailer built to carry a max 12.5K# load capacity, and most seem to be in the 2000-2500# range.

I may need to go for an aluminum chassis, but that gets so pricey per pound, that paying a professional to draw it for me may pay for itself, as well as getting a better result.

Anyone with suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

Presteaux! said:
Holy smokes, man!  I'm pretty sure I won't have room for all that.

My 22ft Class A had about 17 feet (lengthwise) of actual living space....you can put a lot of stuff in that much interior volume.

John61CT said:
I am in the process of trying to get as light as possible a trailer built to carry a max 12.5K# load capacity, and most seem to be in the 2000-2500# range.

This puts you up in CDL or Class A or B territory, unless it's certified as an RV. It might be worth a thread of it's own.

The "living pod" will be a removable shell. The chassis itself will haul a boat or vehicle, may do a deck-over and/or utility bed as well.

If I can get the base chassis frame under 1500 or so, with the living pod should be well under 3500 fully loaded?

Sheesh. I am still so all over the place that I'm getting frustrated with myself. I've been everywhere from building my own teardrop to buying a teardrop to buying then building a cargo trailer to buying a small RV. I am working my own nerve!

I bought an aluminum 5x8 and had them install the windows and a vent. I also had them add 6 inches to the height. A 5’10” person can stand upright. It has trailer breaks as well. I customized personally so it fits my preferences. Had it weighed before my last outing fully loaded with my solar, clothes, food and 13 gallons of water. It came in weighing 1660. 

I went with aluminum because of weight. My only complaint was they used 3/4 inch particle board instead of the plywood on my invoice. That added unnecessary weight. Still all in all it is easily pulled by my 6 cylinder Toyota. For one person I find it perfect. If I had to do over again the only thing I would do differently would be the inside paneling. I would do it in quarter inch plywood with the foam board insulation and do it myself.

41E52306-A44E-45A2-A7BB-49054CDED6CD.jpeg3A41B59D-4283-418E-B75C-E90BB55618D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 3A41B59D-4283-418E-B75C-E90BB55618D4.jpeg
    3A41B59D-4283-418E-B75C-E90BB55618D4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 41E52306-A44E-45A2-A7BB-49054CDED6CD.jpeg
    41E52306-A44E-45A2-A7BB-49054CDED6CD.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 28
Seems we now have a cargo trailer with hard sided fold outs for sleeping. Beds do take up a lot of space, with two fold outs you get a lot of space in a 6' tall 5' x 8' trailer.

Presteaux! said:
I am in the planning stages at the moment.  I will be using a SMALL vehicle to tow.  I am 5'10" tall and would like to be able to stand up in it, but mostly standing is okay if I absolutely must.

So, with the small vehicle weight is an important factor for me.  Is there a substantial weight difference between a 5X8 and 6X12?  I would like to be able to put my bed in sideways as that seems to be the most efficient use of space and would free up lots of other space.

I am not planning to go all out and have water tanks.  I'm an 18-wheeler driver, so I'm accustomed to handling the routines that require water in an urban camping type of environment.  And I'm pretty sure that I will begin by staying urban with future plans to get more wilderness.

Anybody have a good guess of what a 6X12 weighs?  Oh, I guess I mean steel since all aluminum seems to be prohibitively expensive.
I spent 2 years in a 12X12 shed. 2 dogs (Miss them) wood stove, shower and twin bed. I'd go with the 6' X 12'

When it comes to towing, it is all about weight, less about size...
- This is where RV designs come in handy. Thin framing, paneling and foams. They are stronger than you think, when combined. Some even stronger than typical "heavy", but "cheap", home designs.

When it comes to "living", it is all about "comfort", less about traveling...
- You don't expect to live in a car, and shouldn't expect to do daily traveling while towing a load. Unless that is your only option. Still, you will be doing less time traveling than parking and sitting in comfort. Not being able to do 75-85 on a highway is not a bad thing. Only getting 8-12mpg is not a bad thing either, if you are not driving all over creation, towing your home with you. If it is that big of a deal, pay to have it towed with another vehicle. They do have one-way towing services that are affordable for long journeys. (That is what most tiny-homes use for mobility between locations, instead of having to buy a double-axle truck, just to tow, which is a nightmare as a daily traveling vehicle.)
- In a pinch, even a smart car can tow a 12,000 lb (6-ton) load. Just not fast... and it would need to be "balanced" well. Again, it should not be a daily event, driving around without a destination in mind.

Honestly, a large permanent-set/stationary "mattress bed" is a luxury...
- Luxury, as in, it would often have a whole room dedicated to it, in a house, AKA: "Bed room".
- You now live in a "Studio apartment", and have to design for that.

If you have to compromise on anything, it should be the things you use/do the least.
- Standing (You don't do it as often as you think)
- Cooking (Maybe an hour out of your day, total) {Waiting for something to cook doesn't count} *
- Showering/Potty (Maybe an hour out of your day, total) *
- Getting dressed (1-5 minutes... {Avoiding the sexist joke here}) *

* All these can be done sitting-down, which most actually do, in transition or while waiting, without realizing it.

The majority of your time is spent doing these things... (Normally, individually, not combined)
- Sleeping (6-10 hours)
- Sitting {work/entertainment/driving} (6-10 hours)
- Walking/standing around inside/outside (30 min - 4 hours) {Walking around inside is not done often, if it only takes ten steps to get across your whole house. You walk in a big house, because it is big!}

People don't usually just stand around in houses, they sit. However, there are certain things we normally do standing. (Showering, cooking, getting dressed.) Though, those can all be done while sitting. Ask anyone in a wheel-chair. It is not any less comfortable. For those not in a "wheel chair", you usually would find them in a rolling computer chair. (Just not in the shower. Though, sitting while showering will reduce your chances of an accident by nearly 800%, where most home accidents happen.)

You can get a decent "pop-up" or "dome" or "extension", to create a special standing area, if something isn't as tall as you want it to be. They are not difficult to install and are quite rock-solid in design. Though, it would be better to just get something as tall as you need, if you "need" that.

For more room, you can exclude a "stationary bed", with a few designs...
1: A fold-up "Murphy bed"
2: A a hide-away "Day bed"
3: A dual-use "Couch bed" or "Table bed"
4: A rigid hammock **

A Murphy bed can act as extra insulation on your hottest wall, or coldest... Pre-warmer in winter or pre-cooler in the summer time. The design can also use the under-space as storage, seating, or lift-up wall-racks. Combining use or constraining wasted space.

A Day bed can also be a couch-bed that simply gets larger. However, it can be completely tucked away under counter-space, if you want it to occupy space that you don't use while sleeping. (The main walking/standing area.)

A Couch bed, or Table bed, commonly found in RV trailers, would simply convert directly into a couch or dining-area, when not in use.

A hammock is awesome for winter and summer. Because in the summer, you can sleep near the cool floor and are not sleeping on a bail of insulation. In the winter, you can rise-up to the trapped heat, away from the cold floor.

** There is a fifth bed setup, but that requires a TALL trailer, which you indicate is a limit you would rather save for "walking/standing". That would be a winch-bed. The bed would raise up to the roof, so you could access everything underneath. More ideal for tall "tiny homes". This can also be done with the Hammock, instead of one that you would normally disconnect and connect manually.

Yeah, I've kinda decided to not worry about being able to stand up to put on my pants. Besides, the higher it is the more drag.

It would never cross my mind to tow at 75-85 mph. It may have when I was younger, but not at all now. 65 is a good number for me. And I don't know why some are getting their panties in a bunch over towing a camper that weighs less than the pair of WaveRunners that I used to tow.

I really like the Armadillo! But it looks like they're hard to get ahold of and expensive. The thing about it that I found most appealing is that they don't focus on having indoor SSS facilities. I like that "hideaway" shower head on the outside. I did just run across cargo trailer camper that looked real good the other day, but I don't know if it's for sale. It also looked like it was too heavy to tow with the Camaro, so if I would get it I would have to reconsider towing vehicles.

As for the bed, I prefer stationary. My current Volvo 780 big truck has what they call "The Driver's Lounge" which is a table that drops down level with the seats that you can then put the seat cushions over to make a bed. I have NEVER used this feature. In fact, the cushions are in my closet at home. Still wrapped in their original plastic. I put a mattress in the truck so that I could be comfortable. I wouldn't want to regress.

I see all of these campers that have this same method. Or--even worse--those with a one of a kind mattress with strange dimensions that you could never hope to find a fitted sheet for. I'd prefer to be able to throw a twin bed in the thing and then I can get sheets anywhere. Besides, ain't nobody comes to dinner at the house now. I can't imagine having anybody over in a trailer of some sort. And if they do, we would probably prefer to eat outside. One of the reasons this lifestyle is appealing to me is that I would be forced to spend time absorbing some vitamin D.

It seems to be hard for a lot of you to grasp that although I want to be doing what you're doing, I want to do it differently. I've always been the square peg.

If you are comfortable with the matress arangement in the truck why not just do the same in the trailer?