5V heated blanket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
I thought this might be of interest as electric blanket comes up often as a means to stay warm, but is impractical as an off grid solution due because 120V.  This blanket is powered 5V via USB (backup battery or cig adapter).  It is kind of expensive $140 and available on one of those "kickstarter" type webstores.  It is made with down, though.  In comparison, the 12V mattress pads that truckers use is around $90 on amazon.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rakin-world-s-first-5v-battery-heated-blanket-camping#/

Sounds interesting. Once the product is out there and tested by buyers I'd like to read the reviews.

I've seen these before, though I never asked the brand name at the time. The blankets ran on USB back up batteries and reviewers said they lasted about eight hours. It may be possible to find something similar on Amazon that already has reviews.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Mei Jade said:
It may be possible to find something similar on Amazon that already has reviews.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

It's funny I looked for 12V electric blankets but never thought to search for a USB powered one.  Here's a link to a small fleece throw on Amazon:   http://a.co/35sErqW or search amazon for prime perfect HP0710.

For the original product above, it is down which seems warmer than a little fleece throw.  Hopefully they have a successful launch and can spur competition to bring the price down and offer other innovations.

Since heat rises, I much prefer a heated mattress pad with a heavy blanket to cover my body and trap the rising heat.   :)

We used to have a member who had the 12 Amazon pad, and he gave it rave reviews...

Scam alert!

The body heat retained by the down is 100x more than that tiny wattage could ever produce.