5th wheel Insuance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebiA

Reaction score
Hi everyone, buying my first rv (5th wheel).and trying to find insurance. Just didn't realize how expensive it is. Any advise? 

Thanks, Debi from texas

I just switched from State Farm as they don't do full-timer RV insurance which is a necessity if you live in your rig full time. I did some research and asked some questions over on the Escapees forum. I went with RV Advantage/ FCIS insurance agency as they answered the phone promptly, were courteous, found me a good deal for both truck and 5W insurance combined, and were easy to get a hold of (unlike Explore RV). I highly recommend them

What are you classing as expensive? I think my total insurance for the year is less than $1000 for both truck and RV. I have no claims and a good driving record.

Many insurance companies will not cover full-timers. My fiver is insured through Foremost. So far, so good; no claims though.

I have Geico.  1998 Safari Conversion, 2004 Aliner = $84mo.  I have liability, collision & comp.,  road side service, & they will send 2 tow trucks if needed, also trip interruption coverage that will reimburse me up to $50 per night on motel costs if I have a breakdown.  I was never asked about full timing and since I'm not I didn't bring it up.

Jewellann

Greetings Debi... DuneElliot mentioned seeking info at the Escapees Forum and I humbly suggest that you have a look at joining the Escapees RV Club, $39.95 annually, as I believe that membership there would be very beneficial for you. If you're not already a member and haven't seen their website, take a look. There's a very large number of members that own 5er's like yourself that could help with any questions you have about your 5er, or about anything RV, including your insurance objective.

what kind of insurance do you want. most policies that cover your vehicle covers the trailer you are pulling. highdesertranger

Progressive also has full-timers coverage. I have a class B camper van and a 5th wheel. Both insured by them. (In case anyone is wondering, my camper van is not pulling the 5th wheel)  :rolleyes:  I got mine through Good Sam's Insurance Agency, part of Camping World. They have great rates.  Not sure if you need a Good Sam membership to get the rates.  They are independent agents and will check to find the best insurance company for you, depending on your situation.  So far I have been very pleased with the service and the rates.

That's funny. Progressive told me three years ago they wouldn't insure an RV if you lived in it full time. Maybe that's changed?

Hi Stargazer...Progressive definitely knows I live in an RV full-time.  First the camper van, now the 5th wheel.  Especially since getting insured through Good Sam's agency, through Camping World.  For newbies, Good Sam is another RV organization that you can join.  They have many benefits and discounts at campgrounds.  

Oh, I had bought a small travel trailer at Camping World in May 2014.  That was also insured by Progressive as a full-timer RV.  So that is 3 years ago, and they had it for me then.  In fact, this is how and when I got insured by Progressive as a full-timer, to begin with.  

Good Sam RV club owns Camping World, I believe.  They are associated somehow, and have an insurance agency.  They also cover motorcycles, etc., but I think they told my friend that you must first have an RV before they will insure other items.

The policy says full-time, as well.   Maybe you spoke with an inexperienced agent? By the way, to do it this way, I did not call Progressive directly. I dealt with the Good Sam insurance agents. Sometimes now I do call Progressive directly with questions and no problem with this. It is just that I went through Good Sam to get the insurance with Progressive.

And, I must add, I got a quote from a different Progressive agent (don't remember if I just looked online or what) but the Good Sam agent got me the same exact coverage for about $100 per year cheaper.  So keep this in mind, there is leeway in the rates you are quoted, even for the same insurance company and coverage.  I guess depending on how much commission they want to make.

You probably need to have a Good Sam membership to get insurance through them, not positive.  It costs less than $50 per year, I think, and then they have specials.

I first used Foremost for the full-timer coverage when I got my camper van.  I think anyone should look at Progressive and compare.

Latest posts