5'10" tall with a bed question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spaceman Spiff said:
You got a chopped van?  Floor to roof on my pickup is 46" at the door and 50" in the center.  A twin bed is 39" wide.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=11392&pid=116821#pid116821

The sloped sides are an issue but a murphy bed would still take up less floor space than a horizontal twin bed.

A folding couch/bed will also leave more floor space.
Hey Spiff. The only Murphy beds I've seen are in high-top vans, so OP would probably be ok. 

I have a regular Savana van and it seems like things should work, but the problem is the wheel wells, they get in the way of everything you try to do. Plus the sides if the van slope inwards about 4" at the top. So, even though I would flip the twin-size mattress up on top of the wheel well the sloping sides caused it to lean over, and that affected head room. You could but the edge of the mattress on the floor rather than on the wheel well, but then you lose another 14" or so of crossways width. It's all a juggling act in a regular van.

I find the mattress across the back is the best solution, if you're under 6'2". I don't have to do a day-night rearrangement, can take naps during the day, never have to make my bed (the best part), and have pretty good floor space. For a regular size van, the best of all possible worlds, as Spaceman Candide would say.

Jacksonricher said:
I have a Ford e250 high top. I thought about a Murphy bed but knowing myself it would be left down most of the time. I also thought about just raising the bed to the roof every morning. Push a button and up it goes. I watch too many movies. Vantransformer lives

Bob interviewed a guy who does that with his Sprinter van.  He uses it to make money as a cargo vehicle during the day, but lowers his bed from the roof at night.  Mechanically rather than electronically, as I recall.  He rigged his living situation to basically unfold/drop down from the side and the roof.  It was very clever and looked quite livable even though he could get basically everything well out of the way and leave lots of floor space.

If I have the bed along the back, how deep would I have to make the mattress? 48" from back to front? I am no good in geometry. Say I am 6' and lay corner to corner, from back passenger corner to front driver corner.
Thanks

Jacksonricher said:
If I have the bed along the back, how deep would I have to make the mattress? 48" from back to front? I am no good in geometry. Say I am 6' and lay corner to corner, from back passenger corner to front driver corner.
Thanks
Check the last paragraph in post #8.

Thank you, I forgotten all about that post. I envy math people lol. Just never clicked with me in school. I can add and subtract great but use a calculator for anything else. And geometry is way beyond my brain.

Thank you.

That's why I love this forum and trible and all the people on here, they are so willing to help even the stupidest of questions and not be aholes about it. I have yet to have a smartass answer from anyone and that is refreshing.
Thank you Bob and the mods