50 amp shore power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1oleman

Reaction score
This is going to be interesting!&nbsp; My class A was originally wired for 50 amp service.&nbsp; Previous owner changed to 30 amp.&nbsp; I have new 50 amp shore power cord.&nbsp; my gen is wired for 50 amp service.&nbsp; No transfer switch, you plug shore pwr cord into recep when running gen.Where can I find wiring diagram for this mess?&nbsp; I want to be able to use gen if boondocking or if power goes out where I am.&nbsp; Confused enough?&nbsp; Ed<br>

For the original wiring diagram, try contacting the manufacturer or an owners group for who made your RV.&nbsp; If PO didn't document what he did, you'll either need to trace it out or just rip it out and redo.&nbsp; He may just have joined the two halfs of the 50A in a junction box and wired the 30A cord to it.&nbsp; (50A is 240V like a house, 30A is 120V.)&nbsp; My rexhall has a 30A cord and a 5500 watt generator, it can run both air conditioners off the generator but not when plugged in.<br><br>Do you realy have a 12kw (50A 240V) generator?<br><br><br>

I have a 6.5KVA onan generator.&nbsp; It is wired for 50amp pwr.&nbsp; One plugs the shore pwr cord into recepticle to use generator.<br>

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.myrv.us/electric/"><font color="#800080"><strong><em>Installing and understanding the 30 and 50-amp RV Electric Service</em></strong></font></a><br><br>Putz<br>
1224.gif
<br>

Thanks, that is the best I've seen.&nbsp; I'm going to try to get a new breaker box to make it simpler to troubleshoot in the future.&nbsp; Ed<br>