3 ways fridge question...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to know if a typical 3 ways regfigerator we see in most RV's class B motorhome, wouls be a good option for my van ? My goal is to use it only on 12 volts. I 've been told these type of fridge would consume A LOT of power, so I'd like to have your opinion, in order to know if my plan make sense or not.

note: I am not full time. Only on week ends. Van is running every day !

Thanks

3 way refrigerators consume a huge amount of electricity. what's your plan for power? it's recommended that 12v only be used when the engine is running. when stopped propane or 120v. even on 120v it consumes a huge amount of energy but most are plugged in when running off of 120v. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
3 way refrigerators consume a huge amount of electricity.  what's your plan for power?  it's recommended that 12v only be used when the engine is running.  when stopped propane or 120v.  even on 120v it consumes a huge amount of energy but most are plugged in when running off of 120v.  highdesertranger

Well, I only have 1 deep cycle aux. battery to power the 12 volts ! As per your reply, I think it is obvious hat I've been told is a fact ! I think I will keep buying ice for my cooler (ice chest) Other option is a 12 volt cooler with compressor, but it cost $800.00 (canadian) So it doesn't worth it, since I am not using it on a regulary base.

Are you looking at buying a new 3-way fridge? They are expensive and not well suited to the use you describe, unless you can hook up to propane or shore power.

On 12v they draw a lot of power to run a heater....and its not battery-friendly....and can only hold cooling temps on 12v, it won't be able to keep up with normal use where you are opening the door, inserting room temperature food, etc. 

For long weekend trips, it makes MUCH more sense to buy a GOOD ice-chest cooler like a Yeti, Engel, Orca, etc.

I guess our posts hit at the same time...which explains the redundancy.

Yes, an ice-chest cooler is great for weekend use.

Thank you all... I am convinced !  Ice chest will suit my needs fine.

Latest posts