$250 awning instead of $1k awning?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper

Reaction score
I'm about to maybe buy a 24' class c, but it does not have an awning. Is there any reason I cannot mount one of these $2-300 house awnings? Because I'm not about to put down $1k for an RV specific one. 
4a31c198ce73bd9b284c9f005da6fb2d.jpg
75aa564a546a19897b1292d2c8d4fcb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would do that, but I don't want to have to carry a ladder or stake something to the ground if I don't have to (although the latter isn't a huge deal I guess). And a manual roll-up system might be a mess as a solo person.

I will have to carry a collapsible ladder anyway, to be able to reach up and clean the solar panels.

RV's that come with awnings are reinforced where the awning mounts. which doesn't always work anyway. however I would never try to mount anything to an RV that wasn't reinforced.

Quick story,

a guy I knew bought a brand new RV toy hauler. first time out and it was a beautiful morning. they went for a ride on their bikes and left the awning deployed. the wind picked up while they were out. when they got back to camp the wind had ripped the awning right off the side of the RV. It also removed half of the siding and all the exposed insulation. it totaled the RV, they only spent one night in it.

highdesertranger

Oy, I would never leave any awning unattended!

But yes, I was wondering about the structural integrity of these things, or if it could be mounted in such a way that it's not any more of a safety hazard than a regular rv awning.

If you do get one do not get the electric powered one. The motors are mounted in plastic and the first time it binds they will break something. If they are left out wind can rip them right off and if not secured when rolled up, wind while traveling can partially deploy them and rip them off. My new trailer came with one and it broke the third or forth time I deployed it. Fortunately I got given one that blew off and the owner was unable to transport to use for parts and since then I’ve even gotten more out of the trash! Shade is nice but you don’t have any while on a ladder trying to fix the darn awning!!!

I'd rather have a manual crank one anyway, I hear the motorized ones just cause problems. But thanks for the heads up!

My point is anything you mount on the side is going to require a ladder to fix or secure so you can go down the road with it. If the material is exposed it will beat itself to death and the last on the roll will deteriorate quickly. Tree branches are stronger than awning materials as well. You would have to put something like a piece of gutter over it to protect it like the factory cases and even those need to be strapped closed if traveling in high winds. A couple of eye bolts and a tarp that you can fold up and put away are the best option in my opinion.

I mean having to use a ladder everytime I want to roll out or up the tarp, not for the initial installation.

But maybe I'm better off just calling rv salvage yards and hope to luck out on a cheap working rv awning?

Sofisintown said:
I like the idea of hooking the tarp up on a nearby tree. [emoji106]
I like that idea, too. But how to do that in the barren desert?

I think for $250 I'd most likely get a Clam pop up screen/shade canopy similar to this one : https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/clam-118-ft-w-x-118-ft-d-fiberglass-pop-up-gazebo-cbxr1002.html
Or this very similar one for $180 : https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp...w-x-12-ft-d-metal-pop-up-gazebo-byes1034.html

I believe you can also get plastic sides for rain proofing and opaque nylon sides for more shade or privacy.

It probably takes as long to put up as to deploy an awning. You can weight it down with rocks or put in stakes.

I'm thinking if the rv I'm buying at least has an awning rail (I can't tell from the pictures, the rv is in another state, does it look like there's one to you? I see something up there, anyway). I can slide in some awning clips or hooks or make diy ones like this guy did, and just settle for a nice black tarp and collapsible ground poles (although I think I see those things mounted near the bottom of the rv where the bottom of an awning poles would go... hmmm) And something to cover the gap. And pony up for a ladder. Of course I'd have to take the whole thing down each time.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/make-your-own-awning-track-hangers.63064/

Or I could use super strong magnets (will scratch paint I'm sure) or suction cups. I'm just not into the whole setup/takedown thing but I guess I can deal to save a few bucks.

I don't think I want to haul around a big ol canopy, takes up too much space, I need all the storage space I can keep.

There are RV graveyards. Maybe one near you. Might get an awning pretty cheap?

I did just email an rv salvage near me. Seems like dealing with a tarp won't be that much of a big deal until I can find one. An 18' one was just listed on fb marketplace for like $350 near me, used once. Too bad I don't have the rv yet and don't know if it's the right width!

Copper is the picture you posted a picture of the RV your u are buying? If it is I would want to have the inside front panels checked fo water leakage or damage along the seam that runs horizontally across the front. Also the running lights at the top front to make sure they are not leaking water into the inside wall.

For sure. She had the cabover replaced due to leakage, and it looks a little weird on the outside (like paper?) so I did ask her about that (via email, waiting on response). It looked really clean in a video tour. But when I get an inspector in I'll definitely have them look.

It's a long distance purchase so you bet I'm asking a bunch of questions and requesting tons of photos!

Latest posts