24/7 Security Camera Recording

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
catchawave said:
Wow that's awesome! I've seen some cameras that are made to look like screws: https://www.amazon.com/Corprit-Hidd...rd_wg=eHlxj&psc=1&refRID=Z60AJ43JT73817TTREW5. This would be a good way to keep them stealth if they work well. Are your Reolink cameras easy to spot?

Mine are installed on a stick and brick house and are easy to spot. That's on purpose; I want people to know they're being recorded.

My cameras are Reolink RLC-410 and RLC-410S. They are good good for houses, not so good for RV living.

When shopping for cameras, I'd do some googling to make sure it's compatible with one of the standard protocols. There are a lot that use proprietary web interfaces or cloud storage and those won't work well for you. If I recall correctly, my cameras are running over ONVIF.

Also keep in mind that if you're actually doing 24/7 recording, it's going to take a lot of disk space. You can reduce that by only saving footage that triggers motion capture but you'll still find them recording constantly when you're moving.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah I don't mind if they use a lot of disk space and just write over the old. Of course, if I'm building a pc or adding a drive to a dvr/nvr, I'll just get a big drive for it. I thought it would be great to have it record all the time as well because then I could use some of the footage for making videos of my travels as well.

I'll just get a big drive for it...

If you're looking for a weekend system then maybe one might not need a purpose-built surveillance drive - but think about it, the normal notebook or desktop PC gets used a few hours a day so its apparent lifetime will seem hugely long - but a video recording drive will be active 24/7 and requires a higher grade hard disk drive. If your system in-use time goes more than a month or two then something like Western Digitals Purple is a lower power consumption HDD that would work famously. Solid-State drives could be good too but you're not going to get Terrabytes of storage for $100, and some camera software packages only start recognizing storage at 1 TB..

There is a way to piggy back on GOOGLE's infinite storage space just making new accounts sequentially, but that isn't a priority now. It would be elementary to a college Jr IT student from a good engineering school.

It may have limits, but it will be beyond a weekend of time for 4 to 8 cameras time phased correctly.  :cool:

You might want to use motions detectors and have them switch on the cameras instead of running cameras all the time.

catchawave said:
Yeah I don't mind if they use a lot of disk space and just write over the old.

This is exactly how dash cams work. Most of the ones I’ve seen on amazon are boxes meant to be mounted on your dash. But I have also seen multi camera combiners and external recorders on amazon.

Alas the link I had from someone who set up an 8 camera system like what you want has gone missing.

Also, it’s a real shame someone posted this topic and most of the responses have been hostile- you’re violating the actual rules of the site which require being supportive. If you don’t see the need for this or have nothing constructive to add, consider holding your tongue.

This idea that your way of traveling is the only right way is both asinine, and permeates this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breeze said:
There is a way to piggy back on GOOGLE's infinite storage space just making new accounts sequentially, but that isn't a priority now. It would be elementary to a college Jr IT student from a good engineering school.

Actually one solution along those lines is to use something like backblaze which provides unlimited backups. Still would take a bit if scripting, or amazon glacier— which is bulk storage for cheap. The latter would take less effort.

I think the real problem would be uploading all the video— even in an urban area you would have to make a trade off between high compression or time limitation.

So motion detecting software is definitely the way to go.

I'd advise YES, and I feel it is practical & good money spent in today's times, but that's just me. Some of the lesser cost systems are not made to run 24/7 and many are blurry & records less frames per second. 

I bought and self installed an 8 camera "Wired or WiFi" Lorex brand compact surveillance system & POE FLIR dome style cams on my van, I only installed 4 cams though & driver's side cam is also audio record. I may put in more & was reason why I got the 8 cam base system (also for future homestead). I removed the SATA 2 TB HD & cabled it then planted it in a hard for them to get to, unknown and locked area. No one would find it unless they tore down van. They can only cut the cable if inside my van but I know how to get to HD quite easy.

It does run on Inverter, uploads continuously to cloud via hotspot or in a park or ? , or use WiFi if I want it to. It can use a smartphone for away monitoring, but does have Lorex software to use & runs on a Windows PC & display or TV, and records by times set or 24/7, has FLIR cameras and also settings for only motion detection/record. A 2TB SATA HD records for up to a month at 24/7 setting, or longer, it depends on if you choose 1080p or 720p. Has a fast review of recorded movements called "events". Has settings for an audible alarm if there is movement, and will wake me up if sleeping. I can quickly program to alarm events when sleeping, not during awake & aware times.

It did put a teenage gas thief into jail a while back. The video was evidence for his conviction and restitution for my gas he stole. Despite my *you're on camera* decals and also RED warning decals, he still did it.

To be clear, half thinking people with ill intent, if they know there's an active system, they will and do stay away like majority do in homes with better systems. "They" are not the professional burglars. That has been my experience, and it has been golden. I only did it after an ex-LEO/Detective advised this install for safety and evidence if ever needed. 
I sleep in peace & I call it good. Good sleep is priceless.

Excellent! How many minutes per days looked at does it take to review: like 15 minutes on fast-forward per 4 days if nothing fishy?

Breeze,
It really depends on how many night time movement events there were, if you don't have alarm set. It took a few weeks to trust it would wake me up, it did a few times, but wasn't a "situation". The young gas thief, I'd been inside home and system was already in van so wasn't an alarm, but my review after the gas went missing. The other funny thing about cams, most people don't want to look directly at them. I noticed that over at Walmart recently. People who know me, they know why I record video and they're not nervous about it at all. A couple friends are now planning on getting my help to set up their systems, one in home one in van.

During daytime, it also marks movement events, and to review it quickly cycles through those events and also has a click setting to adjust the speed of playback from slow-regular-fast speeds (edit: and has fast forward like in a vhs) so you can get to the timeframe you want to review most. You do have to watch intently and click stop then rewind like any other video. I can't really give a time spent reviewing, but it isn't very long. I'd say in beginning I'd spent ~ 5 to 7 mins max at end of day to review movements during the day. I don't do it every day if I don't see a reason to review. You get an awareness of the camp safety vs brewing troubles. But if a situation got shady, then I'd likely spend more time reviewing to decide how to deal with it best. You then need to capture clips then save those clips on connected PC HD using software's radio buttons. It isn't hard.
So you see, it really varies for time spent.

I did mount a VGA two DB15 switchbox, but only using it for a switch to turn off Lorex display to monitor (19" TV). The box has one input & two outputs (think switch between 2 printers) and S1 is Lorex cable to TV is on, S2 is TV off (as nothing connected). Then I can watch a DVD without removing or reconnecting cables. For the switchbox, I did have to buy a $2.00 DB15 Gender Bender, or I'd have had to buy a new correct gender'd cable.

Each cam comes with 60 ft cables, I did cut & splice the 4 twisted pairs & used tiny shrink tubing. It is easy if you know how to solder & splice wires.

If I had to buy again, I'd buy the Lorex. I'd already done several months of research comparing specs & reliability & sturdy build & ease of use IN my van. The SATA HD is also road worthy and is used in fleet vehicles as the road vibrations don't affect the HD like it would on a regular HD. It is also recording on all 4 sides while I'm driving, and that is good in case of problems on road. It's set for 24/7 record.

This is the Lorex Compact base unit, 8 cam 2 TB HD unit I purchased, but I went with 3 metal dome cams, 4th metal dome is also audio record.
8 Cam Lorex system This is a good page for full explanatory. My cost was different than that quoted there d/t my cam choices.
The other reason I went with Lorex is the stand alone, no WiFi needed system. Also, the dome camera housings are virtually indestructible unless the nefarious beings carries around a heavy mallet or ?? and by that time, they are already recorded and they know it. 

Sorry this is long winded, there is no quick answer on tech and these points are not found in any product FAQ's for vans/RVs.

Lot of good ideas for the OP.
Here is the FBI vans with "stealth" cam systems on YT search. Pick one or watch them all.
FBI Vans

And Goodwill said:
I removed the SATA 2 TB HD & cabled it then planted it in a hard for them to get to, unknown and locked area.

Im curious what cabling you used. Was it a SATA to eSATA adapter? How far did you have to run the cable? I ask because I thought SATA was good for only short runs of a foot or two.

And Goodwill said:
This is the Lorex Compact base unit, 8 cam 2 TB HD unit I purchased, but I went with 3 metal dome cams, 4th metal dome is also audio record.
8 Cam Lorex system This is a good page for full explanatory. My cost was different than that quoted there d/t my cam choices.

When I go to that page I see several systems and all the cameras seem huge. Would you mind sharing some pictures of your van so I can see the cameras in context and understand their scale?

And Goodwill said:
Breeze,
It really depends on how many night time movement events there were, if you don't have alarm set. It took a few weeks to trust it would wake me up, it did a few times, but wasn't a "situation". The young gas thief, I'd been inside home and system was already in van so wasn't an alarm, but my review after the gas went missing. The other funny thing about cams, most people don't want to look directly at them. I noticed that over at Walmart recently. People who know me, they know why I record video and they're not nervous about it at all. A couple friends are now planning on getting my help to set up their systems, one in home one in van.

During daytime, it also marks movement events, and to review it quickly cycles through those events and also has a click setting to adjust the speed of playback from slow-regular-fast speeds (edit: and has fast forward like in a vhs) so you can get to the timeframe you want to review most. You do have to watch intently and click stop then rewind like any other video. I can't really give a time spent reviewing, but it isn't very long. I'd say in beginning I'd spent ~ 5 to 7 mins max at end of day to review movements during the day. I don't do it every day if I don't see a reason to review. You get an awareness of the camp safety vs brewing troubles. But if a situation got shady, then I'd likely spend more time reviewing to decide how to deal with it best. You then need to capture clips then save those clips on connected PC HD using software's radio buttons. It isn't hard.
So you see, it really varies for time spent.

I did mount a VGA two DB15 switchbox, but only using it for a switch to turn off Lorex display to monitor (19" TV). The box has one input & two outputs (think switch between 2 printers) and S1 is Lorex cable to TV is on, S2 is TV off (as nothing connected). Then I can watch a DVD without removing or reconnecting cables. For the switchbox, I did have to buy a $2.00 DB15 Gender Bender, or I'd have had to buy a new correct gender'd cable.

Each cam comes with 60 ft cables, I did cut & splice the 4 twisted pairs & used tiny shrink tubing. It is easy if you know how to solder & splice wires.

If I had to buy again, I'd buy the Lorex. I'd already done several months of research comparing specs & reliability & sturdy build & ease of use IN my van. The SATA HD is also road worthy and is used in fleet vehicles as the road vibrations don't affect the HD like it would on a regular HD. It is also recording on all 4 sides while I'm driving, and that is good in case of problems on road. It's set for 24/7 record.

The other reason I went with Lorex is the stand alone, no WiFi needed system. Also, the dome camera housings are virtually indestructible unless the nefarious beings carries around a heavy mallet or ?? and by that time, they are already recorded and they know it. 

Sorry this is long winded, there is no quick answer on tech and these points are not found in any product FAQ's for vans/RVs.

Nice camera system for bricks and sticks. I've got that one bookmarked.

What about for the van incognito? It gets complicated with ac on a high-roof too;
with redundant thermal cameras? Your link was not for Flir thermal cameras too was it?
I thought it was for software that would 'accept' Flir devices (~$20.)

2 dome bubbles for IR cameras, w/ac (10" high Penguin II) on the van roof too, 
is all I can think of: but what a risk!
There  has to be some type of modular happy medium that is more secure and/or incognito.
:cool:
Since you are the expert, what would that be?? TIA!

Technomad,

The short ~8" (less $) extension cable I bought & used for wire mod is [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]that which matches to the drive's socket requirements of NVR use of WD Purple Serial ATA HD which is a "Surveillance" HD which are specifically designed to spin 24/7. I modified its cabling that carries DATA, by cutting & splicing longer 30 AWG wires to increase its length to where I placed the drive. I also added a small PC fan on its after market protective housing. I also increased the lengths by hard wiring the other 4 pin Molex powering wires not part of the SATA cabling. For my system, this works and so far has not failed or caused any issues of degraded video. DATA SATA cables are built & sold for the common uses in typical lengths of a few inches up to max 1 meter, and most mfg's do not mfg or provide longer cabling for those who modify their devices. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]IOW, if you limit your mods to what is typical lengths available, and don't modify, then you're limited in what you can do. This often limits what people think they can do as well. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]However, here is a link to PDF where the mfg of SATA cabling offers to mfg custom[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cable lengths outside of typical cable lengths Custom Cables [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Rather than paying, you can take the liberty & modify your own, using 30 AWG shielded wires & following the cable's (any system cable that's used) specific wiring which may use twisted pairs yada yada. The cam's LAN cables, have 4 twisted pairs to decrease EMI etc interferences from neighboring wires or other devices nearby. Same as used in harness wiring on military jets, tanks & helis. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I did not take photos as I did my wiring mods. The scheme is, mount cam where you want it, route LAN cable to base unit, cut cable to length, splice on 6-8" of other end of that cut cable that has LAN 8 pin plug. Leave an 8" service loop and insulate well, using shrink tubing. I often double the outer cable shrink as done in aerospace wiring repairs per DOD Mil specs for high stress cabling. Overkill for an RV? Maybe, but it's up to the one who is doing the wiring.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The compact (for use in van) base unit I chose, can support up to a 4TB SATA HD. It comes with 2TB which works for my needs in van. For a home system using all 8 cams, I may upgrade unit to 4TB.[/font]

Breeze,

I ask, what is your invented "risk" when cams go onto edge of my van? Please explain. All RV/vans are different and your mods & needs are to be evaluated by you, and is not my job to do. I offer a system that worked for my van to give others ideas.

Redundancy on cams? I made it plain & simple, that I chose my system to be used either on my van, or at future homestead which is our family plan and is in the works. 

Why would I care for incognito? I haven't and I don't choose to do so. You can go all incognito if you desire.

You did not review the Lorex link well enough to answer your own Q's on FLIR (Boeing) or the abilities it has over other systems as a stand alone wired system as opposed to majority of home systems dedicated to WiFi only.

Where, please, did I make any claim of being an "expert"? I shared in detail what I used, and how I did it, and what works in my system. 

Lastly, don't make assumptions and then invent & add snarky words onto what I said, or invent unnecessary labels for me, please. The fact that you did, is obvious too. I am respectful in my chosen words (until I'm not) and even you could be more respectful too. This is to be a respectful learning forum to share what worked and what didn't work. 

Let it be respectful, please, so others can benefit from others' experiences.

catchawave said:
Has anyone used a 360 degree camera with their van?

I did consider a 360, but it would have to be mounted very high, and still would not capture movements in close to the sides of a van, or an RV, d/t the angle the camera lens has which would be limited by edge of roof & cutting off near van's hidden triangle. On a larger RV, some or all of the cams are high up above reach, near top of roof line and are side mount style and are focused down toward the ground. A 360, is best used on a pole type mount away from a home. Typically, 360's are used on acreage borders or outer yards at homes or businesses.

So I didn't choose a 360 cam. 

Hope that helps.

And Goodwill said:
Breeze,

I ask, what is your invented "risk" when cams go onto edge of my van? Please explain.
+++++++++++++++++++
Breeze said:
     Flir caught my attention, thermal cameras, and they cannot transmit through glass: so they have to be external. The 'risk' would be theft, weather damage, physical damage on a 10' tall high roof van.
+++++++++++++++++++
All RV/vans are different and your mods & needs are to be evaluated by you, and is not my job to do. I offer a system that worked for my van to give others ideas.

Redundancy on cams? I made it plain & simple, that I chose my system to be used either on my van, or at future homestead which is our family plan and is in the works. 

Why would I care for incognito? I haven't and I don't choose to do so. You can go all incognito if you desire.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Breeze said:
      Thieves stealing and vandalizing cameras to cloak their activities. 
There are incognito systems out there, but are probably not as high quality as yours. If your cameras 'are' infrared and 'are' external, then they are expensive theft deterrents imo.
++++++++++++++++++++++
You did not review the Lorex link well enough to answer your own Q's on FLIR (Boeing) or the abilities it has over other systems as a stand alone wired system as opposed to majority of home systems dedicated to WiFi only.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Breeze said:
      True. I am looking for wired cameras but transmitted immediately by hotspot connection to a series of date ordered gmail files. I don't know all the facts now: thus the questions.
++++++++++++++++++++++
Where, please, did I make any claim of being an "expert"? I shared in detail what I used, and how I did it, and what works in my system. 
++++++++++++++++++++++
Breeze said:
        The industrial engineering (standard) definition of an 'expert' is doing 
'anything' 500 times or greater. You seemed like you have been doing it for a couple of years for your acquired knowledge base (2 years x 250 working days/year = expert.)
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lastly, don't make assumptions and then invent & add snarky words onto what I said, or invent unnecessary labels for me, please. The fact that you did, is obvious too. I am respectful in my chosen words (until I'm not) and even you could be more respectful too. This is to be a respectful learning forum to share what worked and what didn't work. 

Let it be respectful, please, so others can benefit from others' experiences.

I had to look Snarky up, but I did not mean to come across as Snide.
Maybe there 'is' nothing like I want out there, but I tried to speak in the 'adult' ego state, as Commander Spock would have on Star Trek.

You seemed to have thermal camera experience few have indicated they have, and I inquired about it: simple, direct, and respectful.   :huh:

And Goodwill said:
I did consider a 360, but it would have to be mounted very high,

There is a new way of doing “360” that involves four cameras, one on each side, and software that maps the images to get you a view much like if you had a big pole in the center of your vehicle and cameras looking down. I’ve seen these as a factory option in some nissans and as an aftermarket kit on amazon, IIRC.

I suspect the little bullet “blind spot” cameras would be great for mounting on a van, as they are hard to see.

Latest posts