2022 The Good and The Bad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conundrum

Reaction score
The good

- Amazingly, I sold my Toyota Sequoia TRD for more than I had paid for it a year and 25,000 miles earlier. That was sweet and the only time switching vehicles hasn’t cost me 20 or $30,000.

Picture1.jpg

- I had wanted a Winnebago Revel for a couple of years and after applying advanced buying-from-a-dealership tactics, I got what I believe to be the 2022 American deal of the year.

394.jpg

- A Tarpon is a hell of a fish. It lives to be 65. It has a lung and breathes air. It’s a spectacular fighter. I had decided that 2022 was going to be my Tarpon year. I started the season early, fishing in Clearwater, FL and ended it in Sanibel island, FL, having hooked 5 Tarpons.

Tarpon 3.jpg

- First and foremost I am a King Salmon fly angler. I like feeling my line is being pulled by a mid-size Japanese car. But there is a fish in the Atlantic Ocean that started it all; fly fishing and Spey techniques. It’s the Atlantic Salmon, Salmo salar. It means Leaper salmon. It leaps over unimaginable waterfalls to reach its breeding grounds. It is the crown jewel of every self-respecting fly fishing career. I had to catch one. I drove to Labrador and sailed to Newfoundland and hooked 5.

Chinook 32.jpg
King Salmon, caught in Alaska

- About 3 years ago the Dempster highway linking Dawson City to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean, in the Canadian Northwest Territories, was completed. The “Drang” to go North -as our Teutonic friends would say- was just too powerful and resistance futile. I added driving first to Yellowknife, the capital of the Northwest territories, and off to the Arctic I drove.

20220915_081736.jpg

- There were a couple of business beachhead achievements.

The bad

- Of the 5 tarpons I hooked and fought, 4 prevailed and went free. The one I landed was the smallest and I am ashamed of showing photos of it.

Tarpon 4.jpg

- Of the 5 Atlantic Salmons I hooked and fought, 4 prevailed and went free. The one I landed was small by Salmon standards. I am so pissed.

AS.jpg

- I went too late to Newfoundland. This is where Iceberg Alley is. I spent 2 days waiting for a skyscraper of an iceberg to pass by. I see bigger ice cubes when I order a drink.

- I thought I was going to increase my income more than the little I did.

- I still don’t have a girlfriend. Obviously, single females don’t drive solo to Labrador, the Arctic, or go fly fishing for Tarpon. You know, you wish the female group would be a bit more enterprising.

The good

- Amazingly, I sold my Toyota Sequoia TRD for more than I had paid for it a year and 25,000 miles earlier. That was sweet and the only time switching vehicles hasn’t cost me 20 or $30,000.

View attachment 33458

- I had wanted a Winnebago Revel for a couple of years and after applying advanced buying-from-a-dealership tactics, I got what I believe to be the 2022 American deal of the year.

View attachment 33459

- A Tarpon is a hell of a fish. It lives to be 65. It has a lung and breathes air. It’s a spectacular fighter. I had decided that 2022 was going to be my Tarpon year. I started the season early, fishing in Clearwater, FL and ended it in Sanibel island, FL, having hooked 5 Tarpons.

View attachment 33460

- First and foremost I am a King Salmon fly angler. I like feeling my line is being pulled by a mid-size Japanese car. But there is a fish in the Atlantic Ocean that started it all; fly fishing and Spey techniques. It’s the Atlantic Salmon, Salmo salar. It means Leaper salmon. It leaps over unimaginable waterfalls to reach its breeding grounds. It is the crown jewel of every self-respecting fly fishing career. I had to catch one. I drove to Labrador and sailed to Newfoundland and hooked 5.

View attachment 33461
King Salmon, caught in Alaska

- About 3 years ago the Dempster highway linking Dawson City to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean, in the Canadian Northwest Territories, was completed. The “Drang” to go North -as our Teutonic friends would say- was just too powerful and resistance futile. I added driving first to Yellowknife, the capital of the Northwest territories, and off to the Arctic I drove.

View attachment 33462

- There were a couple of business beachhead achievements.

The bad

- Of the 5 tarpons I hooked and fought, 4 prevailed and went free. The one I landed was the smallest and I am ashamed of showing photos of it.

View attachment 33463

- Of the 5 Atlantic Salmons I hooked and fought, 4 prevailed and went free. The one I landed was small by Salmon standards. I am so pissed.

View attachment 33464

- I went too late to Newfoundland. This is where Iceberg Alley is. I spent 2 days waiting for a skyscraper of an iceberg to pass by. I see bigger ice cubes when I order a drink.

- I thought I was going to increase my income more than the little I did.

- I still don’t have a girlfriend. Obviously, single females don’t drive solo to Labrador, the Arctic, or go fly fishing for Tarpon. You know, you wish the female group would be a bit more enterprising.
Sounds SWEET! Once I'm a mobile nomad instead of parked I'm planning to fish up and down the pacific coast... maybe try fly fishing too (only done on lawns and casting ponds to date :)

Sounds SWEET! Once I'm a mobile nomad instead of parked I'm planning to fish up and down the pacific coast... maybe try fly fishing too (only done on lawns and casting ponds to date :)

I'd love to fish up and down the Pacific Coast. I want to catch Corbina in Southern California, around San Diego is where they are. In San Francisco I want to catch Perch at the foot of the Golden Gate bridge. Like this guy is doing in this photo:

Picture1.jpg

Beyond California I have never fished in Oregon or Washington.

This would be a great fishing trip to work the Pacific Coast for a while.

If you wanted a fishing buddy I am game and would meet you wherever you want on the coast overthere. I only need a few days advance notice. I am in Florida. It takes me 3 days to get to Cal and 4 days to the Olympic Peninsula.

I am getting a set of Blizzak snow tires mounted next week and then I am ready to go.

For the best perch I don't recommend Chrissy Field (although it could be Golden Gate beach). Not only are perch seasonal in the SF bay, but they are almost universally undersized. You will have better luck in Monterey Bay. Even better if you go up north where you can get some nice Red Tail surf perch.

In Southern California don't forget to target Croaker as well as Corbina. I bet that Bonito or Mackerel would be amazing fish to target with a fly-rod... Mackerel are one of the hardest fighting fish you can catch pound for pound.

You can, of course, target Salmon in the Klamath/Trinity/Sacramento rivers too. Not sure if I've ever seen anyone catch a halibut with fly lines but should be possible with a fast-sink tip line. You could definitely target Ling Cod and Rockfish too!

For the best perch I don't recommend Chrissy Field (although it could be Golden Gate beach). Not only are perch seasonal in the SF bay, but they are almost universally undersized. You will have better luck in Monterey Bay. Even better if you go up north where you can get some nice Red Tail surf perch.

In Southern California don't forget to target Croaker as well as Corbina. I bet that Bonito or Mackerel would be amazing fish to target with a fly-rod... Mackerel are one of the hardest fighting fish you can catch pound for pound.

You can, of course, target Salmon in the Klamath/Trinity/Sacramento rivers too. Not sure if I've ever seen anyone catch a halibut with fly lines but should be possible with a fast-sink tip line. You could definitely target Ling Cod and Rockfish too!

Thank you for the many tips. I see you know the Pacific Coast and its fish.

Thank you for the many tips. I see you know the Pacific Coast and its fish.
Used to fish every weekend when I lived up in the SF Bay area.

Now go as often as I can living in Southern Calif.

Not much of a freshwater fishing fan, but then I generally fish to catch fresh fish for food
rather than purely as a sport. I really enjoy fresh fish and prefer saltwater to freshwater fish
in general.

When I can't get out to the coast I spend a lot of time on pierfishing.com forums and YouTube getting my fishing fix vicariously. ;)

If you get to Lake Powell or just like surfing the web wayne’swords.com has some good fishing resources.

While I'm not a fisher, I appreciate a good story. Thank you.

so enjoyed reading your post and pics. happy you are doing so well and did hit a great vehicle for the road! nice pic of your 'home' on wheels!!