2018 RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
Sorry to say, the 2018 RTR is as bad as I feared.  
People parking right on top of me...and refusing to move off even when asked to give me some room.   
Dog poop all around my rig every morning,  tires peed on.  Can't leave my chair out or it too would get the "treatment".   Someone is just letting their dog run while it is dark out...sweet..eh?

I see a few people truely working to help people.  And I see thousands interested only in what  they can get.   Lots of veterans are astounded by the Huge percentage of expensive RVs pulling in this year.   

The utubers running around sticking their camera in people's faces.    No concept of any privacy.   Do not care how they adversely impact anyone else...just as long as they can keep monetizing their utube channel.

The sense of tribe is not here.   I wonder if inviting everyone to come and get free training isn't drawing hundreds who never actually felt anything like a sense of duty to the tribe.    the build that happened earlier was much in the spirit of tribe..everyone helping everyone.

Bob, if you are reading this, consider creating a higher purpose...not just come one come all get your free goodies...no strings attached.

Funny how people's views differ. Of course, I'm not there. But, I just talked to a dear friend who I met at the first RTR and have camped with at 4 or 5 following RTRs. She's camped in the thick of it, at the main camp. And she's having a great time.

You can't have a gathering of this size and expect to love it all. The bigger the gathering the larger number of rude and thoughtless people you'll meet. Conversely, there's a larger number of kind and courteous people.

I think those of you are unhappy have a couple options. Create your own gathering, pitch in and help to make the RTR better or just find another group that meets your expectations.

If I recall, the common statistic is for every 1 complainer, there are 10+ people who enjoy it.

As cyndi points out, I've seen nothing but the opposite. Maybe I got lucky with my camping spot.

I’m a 20 min walk from the main camp and it is really peaceful here. Basically the far end of the Music camp road. The only sound I hear most of the time is the hum of I-10.

Having a great time in the Mindful Camp!

There you have it Kat, relocate. Still a few days to improve your memories of RTR 2018 :)

B and C said:
This site points out that for every complaint there are 26 that don't but not because they like it.  https://beyondphilosophy.com/15-statistics-that-should-change-the-business-world-but-havent/

My $0.02

Excellent info. If you're interested here is a bit more on the subject of good vs bad reviews:

Customers who have a bad experience are twice to three times more likely to write an angry review than customers who had a great experience are to post a happy review.

Respondents who suffered a bad interaction were 50% more likely to share it on social media than those who had good experiences (45% vs. 30%) and 52% more likely to share it on an online review site such as Yelp (35% vs. 23%).

54% of respondents who had shared a bad experience said they shared it more than 5 times, compared to 33% of those who had shared a good interaction.

https://www.marketingcharts.com/digital-28628

Cat, we have room at my camp. 

No pressures and cat friendly. LTVA away from the dust bowl.

Our dog pack is well trained in bathroom etiquette

SondraRose said:
I’m a 20 min walk from the main camp and it is really peaceful here.  Basically the far end of the Music camp road.  The only sound I hear most of the time is the hum of I-10.  

Having a great time in the Mindful Camp!

I was in that same area over the weekend. Very peaceful.

When I was there, I was camped one road over from and very close to the main gathering area. I found that most of the people there were pleasant and respectful. The only exceptions I saw were maybe three people riding motorcycles or ATV's through gullies and camps rather than taking the roads. Just about everyone I encountered greeted me with a smile and wave along with a "Hi! How are you?". The people camped in my immediate area were great neighbors and a lot of fun to be around. I'm happy to say that I now consider all of them friends.

Def interesting to see the different experiences. Some
Good, some bad.

Lots of wide open space and quite in the back of the music/art camp. But we didn’t want to be crowded, so we moved, twice.

I haven't met anyone from the board yet but I have met some of my neighbors and all seem nice to me and my little pooch....

I think I am north of the main seminar area, maybe 500 feet or so, just guessing.  Sparsely populated in this area so far. 

I'm flying a black Jolly Roger flag on a white van if anyone wants to drop by...

I stayed 4 nights over 2 visits this year. Since I was tent camping I went past the main camp, past boomers into the open area just around the corner. I walked to RTR each day. Everyone said hello, multiple campers offered a coffee refill for my empty cup. No dogs off leash and no crazy loud music. It's all good from my perspective...

I love where I am. It is quiet and everybody is friendly. I would look around and move now that the weekend is over and people left there is more space to move.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well...I did camp in an area away from people. Then, they moved in on me.

I moved to get away, and a couple more moved in on top of me.

Between having my little bit of desert (and I mean a path barely 6 feet wide) messed with poop and everything peed on....yeah, great bunch of people. Generators running where they are not allowed after dark...music playing loud enough to drowned out the generators..... yeah, so much for curtesy and a sense of community.

Even aside from that...Bob announced repeatedly to not drive through the wash...I see it down several times a day. One fellow next to me tried twice to drive away and leave his trash just laying there.

I came here expecting to find community and the tribe. What I found was just a random bunch of people acting just like they would in a RV park where there is a huge sense of entitlement

Everyone take notice.....Bob is NOT anywhere near here. He made this happen, and he is avoiding this place and hiding.

At this rate..by next year this will be turning into another burning man.

That's a shame Kat. I heard a long time ago, "The number one reason that people move is neighbors." All you can do is try again somewhere, I hope it works out for you. If not, there's something else I heard a long time ago, "The only cure for red ass is blacktop." No point staying if you're not happy. Find your happy place and enjoy the day.

I am forced to agree with Kat. I have noticed a large amount of rude people, that I didn't expect, they are usually nice enough to your face but either drive like dust bunnies, leave garbage, camp-A-top, etc. So, yes, this is happening and will happen. Bob doesn't have all the answers nor can he do everything so we as the community need to acknowledge that these things have, are and will happen and then attempt to create a resolution that we can present Bob with. Don't just complain about it and hope others will resolve it, sit down and think about how we all can work together to resolve it and post it here. Denying that derogatory things happen will make it worse.

Wagoneer and myself are doing fine, not too crowded over here at all....pretty quiet, no loud gensets or music, although the steaks on the barbie sure smell good over here. We are about 500 feet north of the main seminars and porta-potties. But several deep washes in the way so you would have to drive around those.

Kat, you'd be welcome.

N 33.65446

W 114.15156

As for situations with being camped on...

I consider myself to have been camped on at this moment. My neighbors didn't talk to me nor did I talk to them, so we are both at fault. To try to resolve this next time I'm going to make a sign asking people to camp 100 feet away and explain this desire by declaring that I like to be both loud and quiet at all hours (that's a lot to put on a sign and I'll have to reword and condense it). I don't see this as being a strict rule, as I have no authority, but the only polite way to approach this situation and attempt to resolve it before it becomes an issue.

If someone is directly being rude to you, talk to them yourself, like an adult. Don't ask Bob to fix it for you.

If you can't stand your neighbors, move. It's still a big desert.

If you arrive first and you don't want new neighbors, don't bother putting up a sign, no one will read it. Instead, fashion a makeshift perimeter (using rocks, string, anything). This is universal language for "stay out of my space."

Music drowning out generators? There was one loud night of karaoke, yes, and it got shut down. Since then, the only music has been un-amplified acoustic stuff over in the music section.

I realize, the RTR is not a party. Yet, why you would come to an event for silence and isolation is beyond my reasoning.

I swear, some people just enjoy complaining.