2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the details about how you did this. You are a hero!

Plentiful written description backed up with pictures this serves others well for future builds.  Thanks [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]LoveCareThinkDo.[/font]

Hello!
I watched your episodes on Bob's channel several times. I was wondering if you had a diagram, parts list, or tips on your solar system?

How much did your solar system cost you? You got discount from when Bob advertised it some years ago? Its not still available?

Winston Bean said:
Hello!
I watched your episodes on Bob's channel several times. I was wondering if you had a diagram, parts list, or tips on your solar system?

I posted a reply, but it's not showing up. Anyway. If you get your solar stuff for Northern Arizona wind and sun, in Flagstaff, I create a custom wiring diagram just for your setup. I have my diagram, but it's buried somewhere and I kind of don't feel like digging it out.

My system is a completely basic system just like almost anyone else's. The solar panels are in series so that it's higher voltage and lower amps going across the wire. Solar panels connect to the charge controller through a breaker. The charge controller connects to the battery, also through a breaker. Then the battery goes through a breaker to a little terminal box to which I have all my 12 volt stuff connected to. even though I used to be an electronics technician oh, I didn't even try to calculate what size wires or breakers I needed. I just asked the guy at the counter what I wanted to buy and his system automatically calculates exactly what you need, write down do exactly what connectors you need to connect to the breakers and stuff that he is selling you. It is definitely worth the trip to stop off in Flagstaff to get your stuff.

Winston Bean said:
How much did your solar system cost you? You got discount from when Bob advertised it some years ago? Its not still available?

All of the hardware that I bought from northern Arizona wind and sun cost me $1,800 about a year-and-a-half ago, in November. They didn't have Bob's discount running at the time, but because I recognized the guy from Bob's video he went ahead and gave me the discount anyway. They also don't charge sales tax there. One thing I really like is that Battle Born battery. I never even have to worry about it. I can just forget it's there.

I noticed you carry a bag on your hip clipped to carabiner clips. What kind of bag is that, and what do you use it for?

Winston Bean said:
I noticed you carry a bag on your hip clipped to carabiner clips. What kind of bag is that, and what do you use it for?

It is just a car trash bag, like you can get an any auto parts store. It is just the one that I used in my minivan before I started living in it. I still keep it hanging off the side of the passenger seat most of the time. Sometimes, when I go for a hike, I will hang that thing off of my belt straps to have something to put litter in. I got tired of ending every hike with both hands full of trash.

Thank-you Grant for your posts and all your hard work! I plan to be out there someday and your info has helped me a lot with my planning phase.
I hope you’re doing well and having success with your program!!

I was disappointed to discover that Rubbermaid does not make these tubs any more. And the reviews I have seen say that Rubbermaid has changed the plastic they use in their tubs so they are not durable any more. So, I'm glad I bought so damned many of them when I did.
I have been happy to find that Rubbermaid is now making these things again. (Or, I was wrong, and they never stopped making them.) I have bought a couple, and they seem almost as good as the originals.