2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 288,186 miles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skivvie

Reaction score
Hi all! Long and short, looking for advice on this one: 
https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6671566

Looks like it's a 1500 with the 5.3L V8, AWD, which I've read on here is a great engine.

It's local and we are going to check it out. The high mileage is scary but we won't be putting many more on it, it's mostly a stop gap until we go bigger. Mostly for local desert trips here in Utah within 5 hours max, weekend warrior style. 

Any input on price and if it's ridiculous to purchase with 288,186 miles. I expect to be putting some $ into it, but new tranny is nice, AWD is a must for us (will also be ski vehicle). 

Thanks!

Its a $7k Chevy with 300k
For 5k You can buy a van 1/2 its age 1/3 its mileage & have 2k left over to do a awesome build the way you want....But im also talking out my butt, just thinking outloud A 7k chevy with 300k??? Put 4k in his face and be willing to walk away.

Agreed 100%. The newer tranny is in there somewhere but agreed... we were thinking 5k tops. It fits our AWD and rear buckled seat requirements so it's tempting, but at anything more than 5k it's too much with that mileage. $5K could blow up after 20k miles more and I wouldn't mind so much. 

Thanks for the reality check.

"New" trans I'm sure means rebuilt and probably with a warranty. How long is the warranty and is it transferable?

It was put in 3 years and 15k miles ago so it may not have any warranty left at all.

Pretty mechanical, but having the time to do the repairs is the main issue. Have good buddies that are mechanics I trust more than myself. Going to check it out today. I'd want to put a lift on it ... but the 1500 bit is weighing on me too can't load it too much.

slow2day said:
"New" trans I'm sure means rebuilt and probably with a warranty. How long is the warranty and is it transferable?

It was put in 3 years and 15k miles ago so it may not have any warranty left at all.

Ah good point. I'll be sure and ask. Thanks for that.

My 2007 Express has just shy or 300k miles. At that mileage, it's going to be auxiliary systems and other small parts that start wearing out. For example, I just replaced the power steering pump. And the pitman and idler arms in the steering were replaced a while back.

never ever lift an independent suspension vehicle. in the end you will regret it. did I mention never. highdesertranger

MrNoodly said:
My 2007 Express has just shy or 300k miles. At that mileage, it's going to be auxiliary systems and other small parts that start wearing out. For example, I just replaced the power steering pump. And the pitman and idler arms in the steering were replaced a while back.

Good to know. It drove really well, AC, Heat, all the basic electronics worked.

highdesertranger said:
never ever lift an independent suspension vehicle. in the end you will regret it. did I mention never. highdesertranger

I hadn't started researching the lift options. Thanks for this info. Are there any other options for gaining clearance for one of these? It at least needs much taller tires. As it was it sits about the same or lower than my wife's Honda Element which it will be replacing. We need more clearance for where we go.

Overall it was in really great shape. TONS of rust underneath though which wasn't surprising here in UT. The transmission was completely new not just a rebuild. Has 2 years left on it's warranty. I want it if they'd take 5k but if we shouldn't lift it or if we have no other way of gaining clearance it's a pass.

Thank you all! I'll be around more hopefully with something to offer.

skivvie said:
Any input on price and if it's ridiculous to purchase with 288,186 miles. I expect to be putting some $ into it, but new tranny is nice, AWD is a must for us (will also be ski vehicle). 
Thanks!

Yea, I have the same pretty much, 1500 with the 5.3L V8, AWD, 2004.
I paid 12K. BUT it had 43,000 miles
6,999 for almost 300K miles is a rip-off.

“A rib off”. AMEN
When we buy used were always buying someone else’s problems. But what are you looking at are someone else’s very big problems for a lot of money. You’d be better off to apply for that free one someone’s trying to give away. Just my humble opinion. God bless the nomads especially those that are needing a vehicle.

skivvie said:
https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6671566

Looks like it's a 1500 with the 5.3L V8, AWD, which I've read on here is a great engine.

It's local and we are going to check it out. The high mileage is scary but we won't be putting many more on it, it's mostly a stop gap until we go bigger. Mostly for local desert trips here in Utah within 5 hours max, weekend warrior style. 

Thanks!

I didn't look at the ad, in my world 250,000 is the expected lifetime of a vehicle. If it was really cheap I might buy it if I really needed something.

300k the van is on borrowed time.. unless you want to toss money down a never ending pit to keep it going.

Passed and ended up with a 2006 GMC Savanna 1500 AWD Sportsmobile pop top with 165k miles in great shape for $25k.