2003 Chevy Astro - Rear AC Removal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpFlyLife

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I am working on a 2003 Astro - gutting the [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]interior[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. I have hit a bit of a snag. If you're facing the back-end of the van with the top [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]glass[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] up and both lower [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]doors [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]open; there is a vent or a heater, or something in the bottom left corner of the van beneath the very back left-side window.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I wanted to remove this thing - whatever it is; unfortunately, when I went to remove the [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]bolt[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] from underneath the van that connects it - it started hissing at me! I quickly secured the screw back on and tightened it and it stopped hissing. [/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]How can I remove this? It's [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]connected[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] to some silver pipes or silver metal tubes that run to the front of the van (I think that's where they ran to).[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I took a couple [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]pictures[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], hopefully they uploaded right.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I truly do appreciate ANY feedback and help. When I say that I am an amateur - I do mean, I. Am. An AMATEUR!   Please don't feel bad about talking simple to me or even worrying about talking "dumb" to me. It's not possible. I really don't know a dang thing about cars. This is all a project in the works and I'm trying to do the best I can.[/font]

Attachments

• 20171022_153627.jpg
    20171022_153627.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20171022_153630.jpg
    20171022_153630.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20171022_153644.jpg
    20171022_153644.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 8
Seeing the pictures I've included in my original post of this thread; have I f*cked myself? I have already taken out the plastic molding and the ventilation plastic that the air runs through in the back of the van. All of that is gone. If I just cover this thing up - is that safe? Is that okay? I don't need nor want heat or air in the back of the van. I know there is a switch/knob up front that turns on the air for the back portion of the van. If I simply never turn that knob "on" will I be okay? Obviously, if I turn it on, air is going to start blowing randomly through the back of the van and there are no longer any vent or direction for it to blow from so it'll likely just blow right through the top of the picture I attached, right?

I have a rear ac/heater unit as well. If you want it removed, it's best to take it to a shop that does that sort of work (which I plan on doing as mine looks like an octopus!!!). The antifreeze lines have to be capped off up front before that unit is removed. I have unplugged my unit so there's no chance of it coming on accidentally or otherwise. It's literally a plug from the unit into the taped off bunches of cables that run the length of the van.

You're going to need to top off the AC system now but no you didn't screw yourself.
Either way, every method for correctly deleting the rear AC will require recharging.

Gideon33w said:
You're going to need to top off the AC system now but no you didn't screw yourself.
Either way, every method for correctly deleting the rear AC will require recharging.

At this point, I purchased the van for $1500. I put almost $2200 into it with needed repairs and brand new tires immediately after purchasing. I don't know that it'd be worth forking out a few hundred bucks more for this.  Thoughts?

Maybe I'll just building around it?

AbuelaLoca said:
I have a rear ac/heater unit as well. If you want it removed, it's best to take it to a shop that does that sort of work (which I plan on doing as mine looks like an octopus!!!). The antifreeze lines have to be capped off up front before that unit is removed. I have unplugged my unit so there's no chance of it coming on accidentally or otherwise. It's literally a plug from the unit into the taped off bunches of cables that run the length of the van.

Thanks alot for the thoughts and feedback. Really, thank you! I may just leave it as is for now. This is my very very first conversion. I intend to buy one that's worth something and a whole lot newer if I enjoy van life after a few months and if I can even survive this first one!  Haha!

For now, this one works. I kind of feel like I may have already put way too much money into this thing, but it's done now. There's no going back. Ya live and learn I suppose.

that is a rear AC unit. do not disconnect or cut the sliver lines, that is where the Freon flows. it's an basic deletion for an AC shop. new hoses for your model without rear AC and a recharge. does your front AC work now? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that is a rear AC unit.  do not disconnect or cut the sliver lines,  that is where the Freon flows.  it's an basic deletion for an AC shop.  new hoses for your model without rear AC and a recharge.  does your front AC work now?  highdesertranger

The AC did work. I'm not sure now. I've disconnected whatever wiring went to it. Hopefully that means even if I turn the knob on it won't actually do anything. Hopefully this bulky thing is just a ... well, a bulky thing that's there now, haha.

Do you have any possible ball-park idea of what it might cost IF I did choose to take it in to a AC shop and have it "fixed" or, better put, removed? Thanks for all your help. Really, sincerely. Thank you!

depends on the area you are in. I would say between 250 and 500 bucks. if you know someone and bought the parts yourself then between 0-100 bucks. highdesertranger

Hi Jump, I was glad to see this thread as the van I recently purchased is an 01 GMC Safari that also has the rear heating/ac. I decided against a total rebuild at this time til I meet others on the road who can give me advice. But the van is solid and the security  I feel for that is priceless. How many  miles does yours have? I have heard that the Astros/Safaris are great vehicles and repair cost aren't as bad as some newer. You could at least get estimates for the work, I could not survive without AC. Good Luck!

PS Check Yelp for good reviews for local mechanics, just a thought!

Probably worth having a shop do it. You can get kits to delete the rear AC or use junkyard or new parts for a front AC only version.
BUT, you will vent the refrigerant which is bad for the environment and illegal plus probably spend the same for parts plus all the R134a you'll need.