2002 Merc Villager Van 123k v6 air/heat/pwr windows work vs 2005 Saturn Ion 196k air/heat works manual windows. Gotta sell one, moving.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
Im coming to the collection of wisdom here.
Ive held onto both vehicles for years. Never got off the ground with van dwelling. I will be moving to a section 8 apt in the future, and I want to sell one. The van in fair condition is 2k bluebook, but it is an ugly gold dented van with no back seats so I dont know that I could ask 2k.
The Saturn is silver and hasnt any problems, I know that Saturns do get over 200k, the bluebook on that is 1600 fair-1800 good.
I know I sell one I will have that cash for any repairs the coming year for repairs.
At the end of next year I will have widows social security and more flexibility financially, as of right now I am living off savings.

I am not in a position to sell both and buy something else. I need to keep one.

The Saturn I like for gas.
The van I like to sit comfortably and of course the option to lie down in it, plus storeage.

Neither vehicle is a great choice in my opinion. But I have spent months and havent chosen one to sell! The van sits except for starting and a short trip to keep it alive. The Saturn is my go about. I pay 25 a piece for each with insurance.

Does it seem a little nuts to keep them both, paying someone to drive out the 2nd vehicle to my new place 1 1/2 hours away and do nothing until SS?

Can you tell Ive been going around overthinking for a long time? Now I wish the collective to decide for me

Six of one and half-dozen of the other. Flip a coin. As soon as you pay for the first major repair on the one you keep, you'll be kicking yourself for not keeping the other one :)

If you google reliability and consumer ratings for each, you'll find the Mercury is a little better rated and it has lower mileage. Without knowing how dented and ugly it is (or how rusty), it's hard to say but I would tend to think it would be the better choice.

Last edited:
Well it has under rust. Not on top body. Big dents (not car accident, but I scrunched it on parking garage poles, so not a perfect body twice on either side ack. So if I keep both and had a major repair on the one, I'd just junk sale it and move to the other vehicle?

How far in the future? Could be 2-9 months. I am approved at the complex I want but very difficult to pinpoint when. And the when will be like a phone call, availability for next month, so speedy for me at whenever that point comes, so 2 vehicles are weighing on me!

If it only costs $25/mo. to keep both, then that's cheap enough to keep a backup vehicle.

Will you be able to park 2 vehicles at the new apt. complex when you move?

If you move with both 1-1/2 hours away, is there public transportation available you could take to pick up the 2nd. vehicle?

Keep the vehicle that's better on gas, (most miles per gallon), as the price of gas is very likely going up again heading into the winter months.

But if you need storage until you get into housing, better keep the van?

Good luck in whichever one you choose, or if you keep both going forward...

Sounds like you need to be finding ways to get where you need to go using public transportation or an electric three wheeler/bike/scooter. Both vehicles sound like they might require repairs/maintenance you probably won’t be able to afford in the future. The Saturn is smaller and cheaper on fuel and the one you apparently prefer to use so I would keep it until it required expensive repairs, but start looking at alternate means of transportation as I don’t think I would invest money into the remaining vehicle knowing it most likely won’t last much longer.

If it only costs $25/mo. to keep both, then that's cheap enough to keep a backup vehicle.

Will you be able to park 2 vehicles at the new apt. complex when you move?

If you move with both 1-1/2 hours away, is there public transportation available you could take to pick up the 2nd. vehicle?
There will be no public transportation. Good point, I will call monday about having 2 cars, and come back to report. The backup vehicle is why I spent this past year doing nothing. Not costing very much and some peace of mind. I could likely pay someone in this complex 50 bucks to drive it there and I will drive them home. Like, come back after move for final clean-up keys, and follow a neighbor to my new apartment.

Sounds like you need to be finding ways to get where you need to go using public transportation or an electric three wheeler/bike/scooter. Both vehicles sound like they might require repairs/maintenance you probably won’t be able to afford in the future. The Saturn is smaller and cheaper on fuel and the one you apparently prefer to use so I would keep it until it required expensive repairs, but start looking at alternate means of transportation as I don’t think I would invest money into the remaining vehicle knowing it most likely won’t last much longer.
Thank you. No public trans there, and it is hilly and I wouldnt feel safe to take a possible spill. I'll be 60 next year. I sure dont WANT to spend a grand in repairs on either this coming year, because they are not worth it. I spent 1,200 altogether on the both of them this year, an expensive battery for the both and repairs on the ion. They are both short on expected utility going forward.

Keep the vehicle that's better on gas, (most miles per gallon), as the price of gas is very likely going up again heading into the winter months.

But if you need storage until you get into housing, better keep the van?

Good luck in whichever one you choose, or if you keep both going forward...
Thank you. I knew after I was widowed (november) not to make any big decisions. So I didn't. Life gets more sorted next november where I can get social security.

Good point but it would depend on how much driving she does.

How many miles do you drive each year, Orange?

If it's minimal, then there wouldn't be that much difference between the two.

Last edited:
Good point but it would depend on how much driving she does.

How many miles do you drive each year, Orange?

If it's minimal, then there wouldn't be that much difference between the two.
5-7 thousand generally. Is that minimal?

^The avg. is about 12k to 14k per year, so 5 to 7k is pretty low. Sure, if gas gets super high again then there will be a difference. Most people then find ways to drive less. If you're retired and not commuting to work daily, then it's easier. Look up the MPG ratings and do the math. I'd want to keep the (potentially) more reliable vehicle.

Last edited:
If you have had two separate minor accidents driving the van only a few times a month and none in the Saturn, you have been lucky both were poles and not another vehicle and therefore a claim. I simply would not risk increased insurance costs by driving the van. I have had several cargo vans but after a couple backing up accidents and a close call at an angled intersection no more for me. It was actually difficult and expensive to renew insurance on any vehicle for quite some time after having to file claims. Just something to consider.

^The avg. is about 12k to 14k per year, so 5 to 7k is pretty low. Sure, if gas gets super high again then there will be a difference. Most people then find ways to drive less. If you're retired and not commuting to work daily, then it's easier. Look up the MPG ratings and do the math. I'd want to keep the (potentially) more reliable vehicle.
car= 21/29 van = 15/21 30% differnce!

Hmmm potentially more reliable? I'd have to give the Saturn as reliable in terms of getting thru another year I am confident. If I only had the van, I'm not confident that something major wouldnt go wrong with it driving the year thru.

Thanks gone2day, this has really helped me! The van is 50% overvalued then what it was before the skyrocketing prices. So that money will be for next car or repair.

I WILL SELL the VAN!!

If you have had two separate minor accidents driving the van only a few times a month and none in the Saturn, you have been lucky both were poles and not another vehicle and therefore a claim. I simply would not risk increased insurance costs by driving the van. I have had several cargo vans but after a couple backing up accidents and a close call at an angled intersection no more for me. It was actually difficult and expensive to renew insurance on any vehicle for quite some time after having to file claims. Just something to consider.
That is a good point. Yup Im going to sell the van.

Well, you know the cars better than we do. So wasn't that easy? LOL

Yes, vans are much more in demand, that's for sure.

What price do you think I could get folks clamoring to buy the van?
I dont want a long drawn process with having to deal with people. What price would make you think, you gotta go get it?
It is a fine beginner van life, or work vehicle, definately no good for families cuz the seats are gone.

Well, you know the cars better than we do. So wasn't that easy? LOL

Yes, vans are much more in demand, that's for sure.
No it wasnt easy, it was because of your thinking! I did not think about it that way. Kudo's to you.

It is difficult to find any running/drivable vehicle you can legally put on the road for less than $2000 now never the less a van. I would check local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace listings for similar vans.