2001 Ford E350 Extended High-top van [split from 1986 Dodge B-250 ...]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree diesels are not hot rods. back off on that throttle a little. highdesertranger

GotSmart said:
Somebody needs to have a long talk with that kid.  A short one will do no good.

I think it's pretty clear from these build threads that the only way he's going to learn is on his own. (And it might take quite a long time. But he's still young at least.)

I'm sure many of us here tested what our elders tried to teach us and ended up learning the hard way on lots of things.

He's lucky to have parents who will finance a replacement (Ford) van after abusing the Dodge. I had to pay for everything I ever had, so I quickly learned to take care of things.

We can only hope our young friend takes a few hints that have been offered.

gsfish said:
Awesome performance!! Have you "topped it out yet"? Curious to know.
Not yet.

100+ MPG? Sounds a little optimistic. I'd settle for a good solid 75mpg city.
Why settle for less? Overunity provides Infinity MPG.

Can you provide a link to all these repressed energy sources?

Not right now.

Seller's remorse starts............ NOW!

Wagoneer said he now has a plug and play truck camper, he wanted this rig sold.

Status of buying 110 gallons of Diesel on sale: Cancelled, due to mom and dad not wanting large quantites of fuel on their surburban property. This is horrible as diesel can be had for as low as $2.50 in San Jose on April 4th, 2016. Lets hope the sale continues through this summer... Going to have to settle for a paltry 35 gallons of diesel in gas cans.

I certainly can't fault your folks for not wanting all that fuel on their property.

I'm really looking forward to hearing that you are on the road for your Canada adventure, but you have to earn it by working and being wise about saving, as well as paying off the Ford note.

Your fellow members here would be a lot more receptive if you showed more progress and spent less time on here spouting off the wall ideas and arguing.

Peddle that pedicab, save, and even scrimp a little and you will be on your way with a big smile, as well as the good wishes of everyone here.

Remember, your pride will not buy a single drop of fuel.

debit.servus said:
Why settle for less? Overunity provides Infinity MPG.

No less a whiz than ol' Al Einstein hisself opined that the laws of thermodynamics were the fizzicle laws least likely to be busted through.

Thus far, Al's lookin' good...

Overunity, AKA perpetual motion;

]Perpetual motion  is motion of bodies that continues indefinitely. This is impossible because of friction and other energy-dissipating processes. A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical machine that can do work indefinitely without an energy source. This kind of machine is impossible, as it would violate the first or second law of thermodynamics. 

Whatcha smokin, and where can I find some?

gsfish said:
CD&GS,

You two obviously can't think 'outside the box'. You know what's next and have no one to blame but yourselves. HA!

Guy

But my box runs and if it breaks, I can repair it.   :p  

Next is more vanning adventures, with a steady source of income.  :cool:

And I have a good idea of what Debt will counter with.

GotSmart Wrote:
    We just had a member have her possessions taken in front of her.  This happened a couple days after she was in an accident. Angry  So you are going the way of being a thief?  Destroy someone else's life because you want?  Huh
If that is required to not miss a 3rd Canadian summer so be it!

What about the agreement with your mother?  Dodgy
I have to pay $400 a month to pay down the van, think of it as a minimum monthly payment. I can pay more anytime with no prepayment penalty.

Suck it up buttercup, and pay your dues
I have paid my dues 2x over by now!

(04-05-2016, 05:27 AM)highdesertranger Wrote:
    you are only as good as your word.  you made an agreement with your parents now live up to it.  highdesertranger
Well I will have to abide by the agreement if I want to keep the FORD van.

(04-05-2016, 09:15 AM)flying kurbmaster Wrote:
    DS can I offer a bit of advice, no charge, you don't have to take any of it, a full refund if you don['t like it,
If I don't like it can I send it back within 90 days for an Iron-Clad %100 refund; no questions asked? Can I keep the free gifts?

try not to put a monetary value on time, money comes stop worrying about it, it really does just come, hard to believe but have a little faith, don't worry about what others are doing, thinking or how they live their lives, try not to make judgements on them,  live your life, your adventure, follow your bliss.  don't listen to your parents, especially your Dad, they mean well but are misguided, they want security for you, and finally don't take yourself or anyone else too seriously and be kind.
If I don't put a monetary value on my time I will end up like an extreme cheapskate spending hours to save pennies!!

Canada is only 15 hours away, 1000 dollars there and back, it can be done in four days save the money up, show your parents let them know that you are willing to pay it towards the van but would really like to visit cousin Tim in Alberta as a summer adventure and  if you can amend your agreement a little, nothing to loose by asking.
$1000 for 4 days? This is the tourist mindset.

debit.servus said:
$1000 for 4 days? This is the tourist mindset.

NO! He said it's $1,000 to be in Canada for the summer. He's talking (I assume) about the gas cost to get up there at the start of the summer and come back at the end. $1,000 to make your dream come true! Is't that what you want?

NO! He said it's $1,000 to be in Canada for the summer. He's talking (I assume) about the gas cost to get up there at the start of the summer and come back at the end. $1,000 to make your dream come true! Is't that what you want?
Yes that is what I desire.

So he's saying I can pull $1000 in 4 days?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Air...ash=item235ccd730c:g:ScoAAOSwkNZUbkmj&vxp=mtr
Nearly $900! Don't have that kind of money for a thermostatically controlled gas-fired heater! Can somebody link to some thermostatically controlled gas-fired heaters that are $250 or less (The MR Buddy is NOT thermostatically controlled, so don't name that)? Any keywords to search on CRAIGSLIST or EBAY for a used one?

I like the propex heater, and the diesel fired ones, they all just seem to cost too much money.

Thinking of just de-installing the DODGEs built-in RV-type furnace and using that in the FORD, as the pedicab shifts have dried up (Sharks hocky season is over).

debit.servus said:
Yes that is what I desire.

So he's saying I can pull $1000 in 4 days?

No. Your reading comprehension seems to be off. Again, the comment was in regards to round trip fuel cost: How much it'd cost you to get there and back regardless of the length of your stay. However, I think that also may be an overestimation of fuel costs.

debit.servus said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Air...ash=item235ccd730c:g:ScoAAOSwkNZUbkmj&vxp=mtr
Nearly $900! Don't have that kind of money for a thermostatically controlled gas-fired heater! Can somebody link to some thermostatically controlled gas-fired heaters that are $250 or less (The MR Buddy is NOT thermostatically controlled, so don't name that)? Any keywords to search on CRAIGSLIST or EBAY for a used one?

I like the propex heater, and the diesel fired ones, they all just seem to cost too much money.

Thinking of just de-installing the DODGEs built-in RV-type furnace and using that in the FORD, as the pedicab shifts have dried up (Sharks hocky season is over).

Soooooo.... your only source of income petered off in a couple weeks? I see. What are you doing about that?

Yes, there is a difference between a thermostat and a rheostat, and they're often mislabeled. A true thermostat is that important to you? The van life is one of compromise, after all, and most of us would advocate either a Mr. Buddy set on pilot or a stovetop set on low vs. anything with a thermostat. If a thermostat is important to you then you will either need to fork out the dough for one of those expensive systems or reclaim the propane RV furnace from your old van. To be frank, you might get more practical advice here if people had ever seen you follow through on these plans of yours (e.g. installing the used furnace). How's that old van going, anyway, still sittin' in the driveway untouched?

TMG51 said:
No. Your reading comprehension seems to be off. Again, the comment was in regards to round trip fuel cost: How much it'd cost you to get there and back regardless of the length of your stay. However, I think that also may be an overestimation of fuel costs.

Soooooo.... your only source of income petered off in a couple weeks? I see. What are you doing about that?

Yes, there is a difference between a thermostat and a rheostat, and they're often mislabeled. A true thermostat is that important to you? The van life is one of compromise, after all, and most of us would advocate either a Mr. Buddy set on pilot or a stovetop set on low vs. anything with a thermostat. If a thermostat is important to you then you will either need to fork out the dough for one of those expensive systems or reclaim the propane RV furnace from your old van. To be frank, you might get more practical advice here if people had ever seen you follow through on these plans of yours (e.g. installing the used furnace). How's that old van going, anyway, still sittin' in the driveway untouched?

I don't know at this point.

No, just the San Jose Sharks season has ended which was most of the SAP center events that I worked. There is one shift on Friday night I commited to, but not hoping for much as the other pedicabbers will be searching for rides. The amount of fish to catch in the river has gone down, so to say.

The rheostat is what MR BUDDY has. The van life is one of compromise for those who love compromising.

There is no thermostatically controlled propane, gasoline, or diesel fired heater available new, refurbished, or certified used for under $400? If so I will need to reclaim the propane furnace from the DODGE if I want thermostatically controlled heat.

Called PICK AND PULL today for a quote for them to buy the DODGE and it's was a paltry $64. Going to call around to the various wreckers and see how much they'll pay.

Going to move out of my parents house due to my last surviving grandparent dying before I got a chance to see him one last time before he died. They treated seeing him like it was no big deal, the expense could be put off like a new TV purchase. I can never forgive them for this for as long as I live. Before he went, I asked mom and dad numerous times to help me pay to go see him (I was even willing to take the greyhound bus and lodge at the nursing home) going from San Jose, to Boise ID. Seeing as until I got the FORD Van I didn't have the funds to leave San Jose (even on GREYHOUND) if my life depended on it.

People who live the poor life, love it and preach it as the best way to live must have no family more than 800 miles away that they ever desire to see...

If you have a grandparent you desire to see while they're still alive, even if they're on the other side of the world; SEE THEM NOW!!! Pretend they already passed away and you're going to their funeral if that helps. Even if you have to finance the trip at 18% or even 190% interest (190% being the rate that title and installment loans have for poor desperate bois without credit). LIFE IS PRICELESS!

gsfish said:
Sorry to hear about your grandfather, when did you last visit with him?

Where will you live if you move out?

Guy
I last saw him in February 2012. Desired to see him for the last year but no fuel, bus fare, train fare or air fare.

I wish this turns out to be a huge prank, or Bob is just having a near death experience; not counting on either...

Into the FORD van of course!

So disgusted by how mom and dad have treated this whole matter as seeing Bob was like seeing a monument. They treated the expense of travel like it could be put off like a new TV purchase. Before Bob went they Dad said he didn't have money to go (Me and Dad were going to go in his minivan to Boise, ID to go see Bob went), now they suddenly have money to go to Bobs funeral???????????

This is the straw that broke the camels back.

Anybody want some free or next to free stuff in San Jose can PM me as I want to liquidate and give away a minivanload of good stuff ASAP.

You cant blame mom and dad  You spent money going to Burning Man that could have been spent on going to see
Grandpa.  It is called life, and it happens.  

I was stuck 2,000 miles away when my mother died.  I could not afford to travel back, and none of my family was willing to support my family and pay for my travel so I could.   It is called life, and it happens.  

Would Grandpa want you to throw a fit and do what you are doing?  I think not.

Burning Man and EDC were fueled on moms credit. I think resourcefully and while on my trip to black rock city, thought about seeing him as it was 420 miles more each way from Fernley and I'm there. If I had the option to I would have hit the road for Alberta Canada 2014 instead of flying and visit Bob on the way AND back, funny how I flew over him twice (four times if you count my one week in 2013 in the Canadian summer) instead of being on the road...

I'll be seeing his gravesite this summer, isn't being a poor boi so awesome??????????

This boi has had so many negative experiences while living with mom and dad, the reason I stayed so long is because of the subsidies. The same kind of negative experiences are why I am so insistent to have A/C, genset power, reliable refridgeration, and a real bed in the van.

I have some income, SSI. Plus as long as I am making $400 payments on the van I can use it how I like, provided I don't breach the contract I signed with mom and dad.

People who live the poor life, live all the frugal workarounds and preach it as the best way to live must have no family more than 800 miles away that they ever desire to see...

debit.servus said:
 Burning Man and EDC were fueled on moms credit...This boi has had so many negative experiences while living with mom and dad, the reason I stayed so long is because of the subsidies....

I can't believe you let your parents pay your way and then sit there and whine about them. What are the negative experiences, exactly? That they didn't pay MORE? That they bought you a van, but didn't immediately finance you ANOTHER trip? You don't know what kind of breaks you're getting. I think you should take off on your own so that you'll have to face coming back to your parent's driveway.

This boi has had so many negative experiences while living with mom and dad, the reason I stayed so long is because of the subsidies. The same kind of negative experiences are why I am so insistent to have A/C, genset power, reliable refridgeration, and a real bed in the van. 

I have some income, SSI. Plus as long as I am making $400 payments on the van I can use it how I like, provided I don't breach the contract I signed with mom and dad.

People who live the poor life, live all the frugal workarounds and preach it as the best way to live must have no family more than 800 miles away that they ever desire to see...

That makes no sense.  

I grew up as an abused child. (Got the scars to prove it.)  I had a job on the farm at 4.  I had to feed 3,000 chickens, and collect eggs.  For spending money I planted a garden and sold produce to the egg customers.  I went to work washing dishes in restaurants at 10. (I have the Social Security records to prove that also.)   Because of those "negative experiences" I am the person I am today. I had cars and houses ~~~ property~~~ Almost everything I had was wiped out from being in an accident with an uninsured driver. 

I have no AC, no generator, no fridge and no bed in my van.  (Fan, started with batteries charged from alternator, ice chest, and I sleep in a captain's chair.)  I am almost at the point where I can buy the fridge, but medical bills keep my savings from growing as fast as I would like.  

While surviving on SSDI, I have traveled more than 3,000 miles each way to visit family and friends.  At the same time I was able to help out my kids with their emergency needs, rebuild the motor in the desert, and start installing solar. 

I appreciate what I have because I have lived without it.  

Learn to separate wants from needs.  Learn to treasure the little things.  

(Gets off soapbox.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts