2001 Dodge B3500 "Dajiban"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At 21 years old, My wife and I (accompanied by our blue heeler) are under way on our first van build. 

Back Story:
After separating from the Air Force early this year and regaining many of my freedoms, a change needed to be made. Living with roommates in and around Boise ID, (where we moved after being stationed in Idaho) we headed into resumes and began weighing our options. Just getting by while trying to maintain a healthy, active and adventurous life was alright, and it became apparent that we did not need a lot to be happy. In fact, the happiest times we have had were the times when we had the least. We had realized that what we needed more of, was time, along the uncertainty of true adventure. Our carefully selected jobs are the only things loosely holding us anywhere. June had arrived and the Idaho sun had set up camp above us for the season. With it, an opportunity to leave the conforms of society. We both possess a very broad range of particularly odd but useful skills. Two strong minds with a drive to move and live free. 
On June 16th, with the encouragement of the most random people we talked to, we purchased our new home. A 2001 Dodge B3500 extended van was to be the focal point of our lives, purchased from a beautiful church in the hills of McCall Idaho. We removed the seats and moved in the very next day. 
It has been 1 week since we moved in and quality of life is at an all time high. We have nothing but our phones, camera, cloths, dog and van. We've slept in lots and parks and have had more fun than we had originally expected. At the moment, our van is nothing more than a really hot storage box/sleeping apparatus. However all of that is going to change very soon. Plans are being made and our bank account is filling up. 

The Plan: 
Fully renovate our van to comfortably accommodate the life we chose to live; however and where ever that may be. I will be posting here as progress is made, as well as asking questions and learning as much as I can along the way and hopefully being of some use to help others with the same goal. Any thoughts, ideas, info and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1466128028386.jpg
    1466128028386.jpg
    294.3 KB
  • PhotoGrid_1466140949393.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1466140949393.jpg
    1.3 MB
Welcome to the forums! You're van reminded me of a build I have bookmarked...

Mans-DIY-Micro-Office-and-Camper-Van-007.jpg

http://tinyhousetalk.com/mans-diy-mobile-office-and-campervan/

Great platform, with 2 people full time I would consider a full size rack, makes solar easy and gives you direct shade as well as some outside storage
ladder on the back. wish you the best

Dajiban? Really??? If so, you might have nearly as much fun in the front seats as you do in the back! Oh please say you are going to stick with the spirit of the Dajiban, I have never seen a van dweller do anything like that yet!

AngryVanMan said:
Dajiban? Really??? If so, you might have nearly as much fun in the front seats as you do in the back! Oh please say you are going to stick with the spirit of the Dajiban, I have never seen a van dweller do anything like that yet!
Ahahaha DUDE I have never met anyone that knows that term. That's what I'm calling it because it literally just means dodge van, however a locked diff and a turbo would do it some justice! However it's going to be my house for now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wuz thinking maybe a sex move un-benounced to me, cause I know them all, i am down bro and thanks for the enlightenment

Update:
After about a month living in the van, we have decided that we love it. The search for an affordable high-top has not been easy. In fact, we have decided to take an alternate route. We are going to build one. After much  research and planning, we have a very good idea of what we are going to do and are confident in it. Plans will be posted and questions will be asked as that time nears. But in the meantime, we have been enjoying our new lifestyle. The outlook on van dwellers in Boise is quite good; as we have had much support and enthusiasm from people hearing about our decision. However we are planning our return to Washington state where we will be staying and working in the Seattle area and are shooting for jobs in North Bend.

Attachments

• j1.jpg
    j1.jpg
    511.9 KB
  • j2.jpg
    j2.jpg
    612.6 KB
  • j3.jpg
    j3.jpg
    806.8 KB
  • j4.jpg
    j4.jpg
    954.9 KB
  • j5.jpg
    j5.jpg
    823.7 KB
Brian D. Shawley said:
Update:
After about a month living in the van, we have decided that we love it. The search for an affordable high-top has not been easy. In fact, we have decided to take an alternate route. We are going to build one. After much  research and planning, we have a very good idea of what we are going to do and are confident in it. Plans will be posted and questions will be asked as that time nears. But in the meantime, we have been enjoying our new lifestyle. The outlook on van dwellers in Boise is quite good; as we have had much support and enthusiasm from people hearing about our decision. However we are planning our return to Washington state where we will be staying and working in the Seattle area and are shooting for jobs in North Bend.

I enjoy your enthusiasm. Have fun and make the most out of it.

Van Williams

Im building my roof to!! Its definitely a harder and more time consuming route but its inexpensive, and worth it, because you get exactly what you want. Good luck to you guys with your project, I'm excited to see it :)

Caroline57 said:
Im building my roof to!! Its definitely a harder and more time consuming route but its inexpensive, and worth it, because you get exactly what you want. Good luck to you guys with your project, I'm excited to see it :)
Thank god I'm not the only one haha. I would love to see the progress of yours and your plan for it!

Brian D. Shawley said:
Thank god I'm not the only one haha. I would love to see the progress of yours and your plan for it!

Forsure I can share my progress and pictures and plans. I can also get you the instagram account of someone who built a pretty tall high top out of wood. And another guy who welded a metal frame down to his roof, and then covered it in plywood. There are two other plywood high tops floating around, one of them is covered in fiberglass, but they look a little sketchy, but I could give you links for those too. I just have to look them up first, I'll send you everything I gathered after I get off work tomorrow and have free time :) 

How tall is yours going to be? Mine is 18 inches above the original roof, as I'm relatively short. So it stand about 6 inches about my head.

Caroline57 said:
Forsure I can share my progress and pictures and plans. I can also get you the instagram account of someone who built a pretty tall high top out of wood. And another guy who welded a metal frame down to his roof, and then covered it in plywood. There are two other plywood high tops floating around, one of them is covered in fiberglass, but they look a little sketchy, but I could give you links for those too. I just have to look them up first, I'll send you everything I gathered after I get off work tomorrow and have free time :) 

How tall is yours going to be? Mine is 18 inches above the original roof, as I'm relatively short. So it stand about 6 inches about my head.
Hell yeah that would be so awesome! Ours is probably going to be around 20" to 24" because we plan on mounting a cabinet unit on one side. My wife and I are both pretty short as well (makes this while process easier). I've seen one wood slat top that instagram user @thebuslife has that's nice. Also Jay Nelson made a camper for Patagonia that I'm drawing ideas from. The one you say is fiberglass covered I've seen on instructibles, and gives good insight but does look moderately sketch. Yeah let me know the links and stuff! Feel free to pm me.