• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2000 Ford 7.3 Diesel 110k miles $4500 - good?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vagari

Reaction score
I just saw listed today at 2000 Ford E350 Extended passenger van with 112,000 miles with the 7.3 diesel for $4500. Its red. Looks clean from pictures.

This is the good diesel right? Private party seller. Good price?? I never owned a diesel.

That's a great engine! It is made by Internationl Harvester for their medium duty line of trucks so that eninge is available everywhere! It's in their garbage trucks, box trucks, school buses and many other applications. Not only that, it has a long lineage of good engines before it that kept getting better

Beware that they tend to eat automatic transmissions. They are too light duty for that much torque. That's the weak area in most diesels put in pickups and needing a rebuild at 100,000 is not uncommon. You'll need to have a fund to get the trans rebuilt. When you get it rebuilt they can beef it up and it will then last a very long time, but it's expensive. So, have a mechanic who knows those trucks look it over, especially the trans.

Do the research on the price, but that sounds like a very good deal to me.
Bob

My Ferdy is a 1999 E350 with 7.3L diesel. I love him, I get 20mpg with all my stuff, I can run B99 biodiesel fuel without having to change any parts. He has great road clearance for being 20' long (extended version) I get 72sq ft inside living space (6' by 12'). Maintenance is easy, fuel and air filter occasionally and oil every 5k miles which runs about $100-150 at diesel repair shops. I'm at 210k miles in Ferdy, my automatic transmission is still happy. The worst part about him, the back door is locked from the outside only, and if inside and the door is locked, the handle won't work. So you Either have to accept the back door never opens from the inside, or keep the back door unlocked. (You can't unlock his back door from the inside).

7.3 is the only good ford diesel. unfortunately they have gone down hill since the 7.3. bobs is right about the trans, that is the weak link. however we are approaching 300,000 on our 2001 f250 4x4. highdesertranger

My 2001 fleet maintained E350 with 7.3 and 204.000 miles cost 3500.00 and I just replaced all injectors and some glow plugs for another 3000.00 bucks They tell me I can expect another 150.000 miles. It is a good motor and if you are like me I have learned to listen to the motor and be very responsive.