1st timer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleyrider

Reaction score
Good morning from WV. I browsed this sight and found that you have a great bunch of folks with a lot of rv experience. I've never owned an rv until this spring. I bought an '89 Winny Chieftain with 69K on the odometer. It was on ebay and nobody had bid on it. I called the owner and set up a meeting. It seemed to be a solid well maintained unit other than dry rotted tires. I talked him down to $2300 which I thought was a steal even though I have no experience other than months of research. Everything seems to work on it other than an ornery switch on the fridge. I drove it 140mi on some ugly tires straight to my brothers tire shop and put 6 new shoes on it. I took it to Norwalk, Oh July 4th to the NHRA Nationals @ Summit Raceway Park. Spent 4 days there and had a good time. 375mi round trip pulling a 16' enclosed trailer with 2 Harleys and it performed great. I retired early and I have the itch to hit the road. I don't handle the winters as easily as I used to so somewhere warm is at the top of the agenda. I want to thank everyone for the great info and humor I've found here and I'm sure I'll have some questions. Happy trails.

Sounds like you got a steal alright. Good for you!

Expect and plan for some repairs of course, and keep posting (we love pics) about your aventures

Welcome to the CRVL forums! Congratulations on your new RV! It sounds like you got a good one. We do love pictures so post some when you get a chance.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for the welcome. I have a sidekick that wants to take a couple of months road trip. The Norwalk run was test trip of sorts. I'm thinking a 2 person trip may be better than doing it alone. We are retired vets and get along pretty good. I'm big on having a plan before I hit the road. I drove semi for 33 years w/o an accident so I'm pretty road savvy. Thanks for the heads up on the "tips and tricks". I'm a camera junkie so once I get up to speed on things I'll have a few pics on my progress.

welcome...i wont miss wv winters either once im outta here lol