1st imoressions Ryobi 900w/700w propane generator $299

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
20180220_154637-1664x936.jpg
sorry about the big font for those who are offended by it.

Hubby picked up the generator from Home Despot .  I read the instructions, screwed on a 1# cylinder of propane. Then I poured in the supplied bottle of oil.  Pushed the prime button for two seconds and then pulled the starter cord.  I fully expected to have ask Hubby to start it as I NEVER have been able to start any outboard engine or lawnmower on my own (you chicks out there need to know this).  Third pull and it started right up. Yay!  I then plugged in Hubby's CTEK MUS 25000 (25amp) battery charger to his first two of four 6v (225 ah) AGM batteries that have had 3 months since a full charge. The engine chugged slightly when the charger first went on and then ran smoothly. 

I didn't feel like babysitting the generator to protect it from theft. So I opened the van windows and put the generator inside the sliding door.  It sounds like the van is on a low idle. Of course I guess I should make the California warning not to be inside the van while the generator is running for any one who doesn't know about carbon monoxide.

I wanted to get my initial test done before sunset, so I charged the first set of batteries for 75 minutes.  I then did the second set for another 75 minutes.  When I took the cylinder off, it felt more than 1/2 full.  I didn't do any precise measurements because all I want is to be able use a battery charger to give my batteries a couple of hours of bulk charge. This will do the job. Solar will finish the rest.  Someone else can do the numbers.

So my impression? Lightweight, cute, and quiet enough. The ability to use a 1# cylinder is nice, but I will be using a 20# tank.  Something very important is that I can start the thing without asking for help from someone else.  Many of you may laugh at that, but it's a big problem for some of us weaklings.  I also like that I don't have to run the tank empty or store it with gasoline in it.  The photo shows my husband's hand for perspective.

I think I'll keep it.
Ted

Attachments

• 20180220_154637-1664x936.jpg
    20180220_154637-1664x936.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for the write-up. You know I downloaded the PDF user's manual for mine (which I haven't received yet) and it doesn't say anything about a break-in period.

It does say something about a separate manual for the motor. Did your's come with one?

Also, I'm unclear about how a gen. with an output of 5.83 amps runs a 25 amp charger?

5.83 amps on 120v alternating current is 700 watts.
25 amps on 12 volts direct current is 300 watts.

Amps change depending in voltage, but watts are watts, regardless of voltage.

There were two instruction sources, a poster sized easy instructions and the multilingual instruction booklet-22 pages in English. I couldn't find anything about a break in period, so I guess there isn't one. Just to change oil every hundred hours of use or 6 months, whichever comes first.

There's a separate insert on high altitude operation. It says "No high altitude adjustments are required for this product". That's easy.
Ted

I've always had good luck with Ryobi products. I may pick one of these up just for emergencies...

Oops, the break-in instructions are to change the oil after 20 hours of operation. Then go to the 100hr/6 month charge rate. That's easy.

"The photo shows my husband's hand for perspective.

I think I'll keep it."

you will keep the genny or the husband? haha just kidding you. thanks for the review. highdesertranger

Great report!

Other break-in consideration is early days don't load up on the amps pulled too much, lighter is better.

Running it inside I'd think you'll eventually get some residue on surfaces.

Another plus for Ryobi generators...

My gas 2200i died just before Thanksgiving. I took it to a service center in December.
When they inspected and determined it wasn't repairable I was offered a new upgraded generator, if I could wait until February, or a full refund.

2 years and 8 months into the 3 year warranty...

:) make sure you keep a copy (picture) of your receipt...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I took the refund.
I've mostly figured out what I can get away with using my inverter and batteries...
:) just have to do a little more sleeping in Dec and Jan....
I will be adding another 2 100w panels.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

First post!  I too recently acquired the little Ryobi 700w propane generator. I have it running off my 20lb tank via a quick connect natural gas hose. The 8ft hose takes a few more pumps on the primer button to get full, but 1lb bottles are a waste of money. 

I'm not gonna lie, I wish they sold a 1500w propane model, as the 700w unit is only capable of charging my house batteries. He'll, it would be a better unit without the inverter...just give me my watts in 12v DC! 

In any case, it's quiet, runs about 10hrs on a gallon of LP. The best feature ?  No gasoline cans nor smell. 

I don't have solar, so this and my alternator are my only power sources...so far, I like it.

SchortBus said:
I too recently acquired the little Ryobi 700w propane generator. I have it running off my 20lb tank via a quick connect natural gas hose.

That's what I'll be looking for,too. Some of the reviews said you need to be careful with the threads where a hose connects and repeated use might mess them up. Do you have an item # or model for a disconnect that works well for you?

SchortBus said:
 The best feature ?  No gasoline cans nor smell. 

Yep, I like that once it's unhooked , it's safe to just stow it in the back of the van.

And welcome to the forum!

slow2day said:
 Some of the reviews said you need to be careful with the threads where a hose connects and repeated use might mess them up. Do you have an item # or model for a disconnect that works well for you?

Ok, as they say, "a thousand words are not usually as good as a couple pics", so here ya go. Now, I didn't buy this gas hose (And I can't even remember where I found it), but they sell 'em at Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc...., for bbq's to hook up to residential natural gas. $30

I don't have an issue threading it on the "1 inch throw away" threads (that is the real name of the 1lb propane bottle thread size), like the many of the reviews, because mine stays on the genny. You can buy these fittings on line, or from Hank Hill, at a real propane dealer. $12 for the male 1" fitting from Hank, about $6 online, but I wanted it NOW.

Now, I have the quick connect on the tank end for 1 obvious reason; I don't have a valve to shut off the gas to just the genny, and as you can see, the male end of the quick connect is 'wide open'. After using it this way a few times, I have decided the ball valve would be a good investment, as it takes a lot of "priming" (pushing the little button), to fill up the empty hose.

The essential thing about this hose/quick connect, vs. an air compressor quick connect, is these are made for low pressure settings and don't rely on the air pressure to seal the quick connect. A very important distinction that many might overlook, as the air compressor fittings are ubiquitous and cheap.

Edit to add pic of my tank...3/8" pipe thread T and a couple close nipples  did the trick. Hmmmm, nipples!

Attachments

• 20180225_095233.jpg
    20180225_095233.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 41fiNlNIbeL._SY400_.jpg
    41fiNlNIbeL._SY400_.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180225_103039.jpg
    20180225_103039.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 33
I figured I would add some more of my thoughts on the little baby genny...

First off, there is no 12v connection on this toy, which I would like to have. I have already taken it apart to see if I could tie into the dc power before it gets inverted...but, I can't even find any info on the specs to see if it even uses 12-14 volts. Like all these inverter type generators, this one uses a solid state inverter module (which usually costs more than a whole genny).

I was thinking about doing a little science and see both what the AC voltage and current coming from the alternator is, and the DC volts it gets converted to prior to being inverted to the 120v/6amp plug. I was also wondering if I could swap in a 1000w inverter module from a donor genny to see if it would have the hp to run it (dubious). I just enjoy tinkering  on stuff like this...

One last bit of insight to add to this propane topic; refilling a 1lb bottle from a 20lb tank. Now, I'm sure you understand those little green propane bottles, which hold 1 quart when full, cost more than a gallon from Hank Hill. I decided to buy the adapter (pictured below), from Wallys and try it out... I believe it cost about $16. First off, it relies on the temperature difference from the bbq tank (100f would be great), and the little green bottle  (freeze it), to move the liquid. And yes, the BBQ tank must be upside down for this reason (see pic). The good news, it actually works...the not so good, I can never get a full quart into the little bottle. I can only get a net gain of about 12 Oz in weight, and as we all know, a quart of LP weighs 1lb.

In any case, it beats paying $18 a gallon for gas (4x$4.00 plus tx), if you want the genny to be portable. It is a PITA to use the adapter, but this forum is all about doing stuff on the cheap.  ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-25-12-24-48.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-12-24-48.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2018-02-25-12-26-55.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-12-26-55.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
There are 1# bottles designed to be refilled.

Much safer to carry in a van and also legal to cross state lines.

This post is totally off the topic of the little generator.  Sorry about that.  

SchortBus said:
I can never get a full quart into the little bottle. I can only get a net gain of about 12 Oz in weight, and as we all know, a quart of LP weighs 1lb.

Regular 20 pound tanks have OPD, overfill prevention device, a valve like what's in the tank of a toilet.  They also have a port where you can take a sample of whats in the tank from a few inches below the top of the tank.  If you take a sample and get vapor it is not overfilled.  If you take a sample and it spits boiling liquid it is overfilled.  It is easy to check.    

The little green 1 pound tanks can be weighed.  If you refill you must weigh it and be absolutely sure it is not overfilled.  I put 8 ounces in mine.  12 is fine.  If you ever get close to 16 you need to stop what you are doing.  If your goal is 16 ounces you need to stop.  Overfilled tanks don't have enough space to allow expansion of the liquid propane.  When the temperature rises the liquid expands.  Liquids are not compressible. 

The lack of the test port makes the little 1 pound tanks hard to check for overfilling.  Scales are just sooo hard to use.  When they fill them at the factory they put in 16 ounces.  If you refill and put in less than 16 ounces it is no more dangerous than when it was new.  You have to know that and not put in too much.  If you don't know that, put the little tank in a freezer, take 3 attempts to fill it, get it actually full of liquid, you may be elegible for a Darwin Award.  See www.darwinawards.com.   Other people around you are also at risk.

John61CT said:

Yeah, unfortunately this thread is about Ryobi's 700w propane generator, and the only bottles that will screw into the genny (see pic in the OP), save a 20lb'er with a hose, is the "throw away" bottles (i.e. if you want portability, its the green bottle, or drag along the tank and a hose. See pic for the joke hose that comes with the genny...it's exactly long enough to connect a bbq tank, with NO spare hose.  This is a big complaint with the genny online, as the tank will vibrate on the side of the genny with that tiny hose...a 4ft similar hose costs $25 at Home Depot.

Obviously I have a scale to know that I netted 12 Oz... ;) ...it's a nice digital unit, as I'm in the 'commodity sales' business. The tank, with 1lb (16oz), has the necessary 10 % expansion space built in (it comes with 16oz, duh). It doesn't matter how many times you freeze the little bottle, it's all about the temperature differential in getting it full. 

I was up in Oregon last month when I was doing my testing, and I could never get the 20lb tank hot enough to push it full. I understand you two consider refilling these bottles too dangerous for your style, but I don't have any hangups like that. (could be why I'm blind in my left eye, who knows) If anyone had blown themselves up using these adapters, I'm sure the attorneys at Colman inc. would have suggested they stop selling these fittings. And Walmart wouldn't be selling 'em either after the first lawsuit, they are just diligent like that.  :cool:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-25-13-42-44.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-13-42-44.png
    2 MB · Views: 11
Now, let's get back on the real topic, reviewing the Ryobi 700w propane generator! Ok, so here is my genny in action right this very moment (see pic below). If any of you can guess my location I will buy you a beer!

I run the hose out the back door right now, which is both simple, and kinda theft resistant, as you need a couple wrenches or a sharp knife to abscond with the genny, due to the supply hose. Ain't gonna happen, cuz she comes inside when I pass out! 

I'm using it to charge my little 100ah Wally deep cycle, with this Dewalt 30 amp smart charger. Which could use a review of its own, as it will act as a single 30 amp charger, or service two 12v banks at 15 amp, or service one battery and it has a 15amp 12v supply output too! It cost $99, and I am just testing it out for 89 days. 

Now, if I let the charger throw out 30 amps, it will kill the genny in about 5 seconds. Same if I push the 50 amp jump start button...5 seconds of over rev and off. However, set as a 2 battery charger, it will charge the battery, and constantly check the charge until 100%, and then go into float. 

I'm using the 100ah to power my peltier refrigerator, which draws about 60w, and it also supports my 2500w jbl sound system! 2 18" subs, and 2 12" mains, will straight away make other people talk too quiet.  :rolleyes:

Before anyone beotchez about my spaghetti wiring...it's temporary, yet all 10ga, and hooked up to function.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-25-14-50-28.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-14-50-28.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2018-02-25-14-55-07.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-14-55-07.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
John61CT said:

Ok, first off, the little tanks that can be refilled at a propane dealer are NOT 1# (being Olde, I will assume # = lb), they are 1 gallon, and will not screw into the generator (see pic) Next, there is nothing illegal about this little adapter that any cop would give two shatz about. (hint, it's legal in the US) 

I thought this forum was about living on the edge of society, bending a rule here and there (see ninja camping). I live in a school bus, painted illegally for California's laws, but perfectly fine in North Dakota. Hell, for $25, they re-registered my E350 7.3l turbo diesel, as a <10,000 gvw 1 ton personal van, and gave me plates for a year!  :cool: Those of you with schoolies will totally understand the value of your commercial bus instantly becoming a personal 1 ton vehicle. (hint, insurance, parking, and resale value)

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts