1st imoressions Ryobi 900w/700w propane generator $299

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SchortBus said:
So now, after an hour, it's back to doing its job without smoking. 

What brand/type of oil did you use for the change?

And just to be sure; the oil wasn't checked with the dipstick screwed all the way in?

Sounds like someone in China made the milliliters-to-fl oz conversion using a calculator made in China . . . see what it feels like . . .

^
It's only a 40cc motor so 10.5 oz. seems about right.

Interesting that the online manual states it holds 10 oz. but to follow the manual that came with it.

^
The PDF manual also says that if there is a separate manual for the motor to follow that one. Mine didn't come with a separate manual though.

I'm thinking they do that because the gensets may be built using slightly different motors from several suppliers that would have different specs.

Solar is a good idea, but it's not either/or, will just allow you to get proper deep cycle batts and take proper care of them so they last 6+ years.

I bet even Walmart will cut you off at some point :cool:

My trailers battery was over 6 years old and my current Lifelines are over 7 years old. Solar done properly does just fine at taking care of them. Having the proper ratio of solar to battery and storage to needs is a big factor as well as the proper settings in the charge controller. The worst of times is what you consider when deciding such as winter time with the least output/ highest power demands. the monsoon or time in areas of low solar production like the PNW. Many of the systems I dealt with this last year did wonderfully over the summer and killed batteries in the winter.

Flex panels have a terrible reputation for short life spans and being easily damaged. The coating on the four I recently tested was so soft that wiping them with a wet rag left scratches from the desert dust.

I haven't mentioned this as I know many motor homes have built in generators. That said I am concerned with your plan of mounting the generator under the bus. Having the bus fill with smoke pretty much confirms my concerns as you could see the smoke but will not generally see the exhaust from the generator as it fills the living space. There have been reports of people that have died from simply placing the generator under their slide out or even next to the RV as a breeze blew the exhaust towards it. Please be careful and consider this.

Last thing is you may wish to check the laws about leaving the bus look like a school bus.

One more thing. Tilting the generator to remove the oil can cause smoking as the oil can get to places it should not be.

^
Not having a drain is definitely a minus for me. I like to use magnetic drain plugs in my small engines.

SchortBus said:
Now, let's get back on the real topic, reviewing the Ryobi 700w propane generator! Ok, so here is my genny in action right this very moment (see pic below). If any of you can guess my location I will buy you a beer!

I run the hose out the back door right now, which is both simple, and kinda theft resistant, as you need a couple wrenches or a sharp knife to abscond with the genny, due to the supply hose. Ain't gonna happen, cuz she comes inside when I pass out! 

I'm using it to charge my little 100ah Wally deep cycle, with this Dewalt 30 amp smart charger. Which could use a review of its own, as it will act as a single 30 amp charger, or service two 12v banks at 15 amp, or service one battery and it has a 15amp 12v supply output too! It cost $99, and I am just testing it out for 89 days. 

Now, if I let the charger throw out 30 amps, it will kill the genny in about 5 seconds. Same if I push the 50 amp jump start button...5 seconds of over rev and off. However, set as a 2 battery charger, it will charge the battery, and constantly check the charge until 100%, and then go into float. 

I'm using the 100ah to power my peltier refrigerator, which draws about 60w, and it also supports my 2500w jbl sound system! 2 18" subs, and 2 12" mains, will straight away make other people talk too quiet.  :rolleyes:

Before anyone beotchez about my spaghetti wiring...it's temporary, yet all 10ga, and hooked up to function.

You are behind a yellow school bus. Now where is my beer? :p

I kept the oil bottle to hopefully make it less troublesome for when I change it.

I hear you on the hassle factor of pulling it out and hooking it up frequently. I wouldn't have considered the Ryobi if I were to need it frequently. But with 660w of solar and 400ah of battery on my trailer, I don't expect to need to use the generator more than 10 times a year. I just want it for when I need it. I don't want to deal with the hassle of emptying the gas tank if I'm not planning on using the generator in a month or more.

But when I next am able to run the generator (currently I have hookups for cheap and then on to NM with electricity for $4/day), I'll finish up the 20 hours and change the oil. I'll report back at that time.
Ted

slow2day said:
What brand/type of oil did you use for the change?

And just to be sure; the oil wasn't checked with the dipstick screwed all the way in?

I broke her in with the OEM oil, and then went full synthetic Castrol 10-30. 

And no, as I said earlier, I actually paid attention to the diagram/sticker about which way to check it. It's actually hard to miss the sticker, as it's right where it should be when you remove the side panel. There are a LOT of stickers.

Oh, and had I checked it the other way, it shouldn't have ran, as it has a low-oil shutoff. The parameters are just really precise, as it is a 40cc 4-stroker.

WalkaboutTed said:
I kept the oil bottle to hopefully make it less troublesome for when I change it.  

I hear you on the hassle factor of pulling it out and hooking it up frequently. I wouldn't have considered the Ryobi if I were to need it frequently.  But with 660w of solar and 400ah of battery on my trailer, I don't expect to need to use the generator more than 10 times a year.  I just want it for when I need it.  I don't want to deal with the hassle of emptying the gas tank if I'm not planning on using the generator in a month or more.  

But when I next am able to run the generator (currently I have hookups for cheap and then on to NM with electricity for $4/day), I'll finish up the 20 hours and change the oil. I'll report back at that time.
Ted

Saving the original oil bottle will do little good, as it's not a measuring cup....i.e. it's not FULL when you get it. Sure, you could pre-messure the oil and funnel it back into the OG oil bottle to save for future use. My point is; the oil level is very critical, and getting it right is not as simple as most engines due to its inherently minimal displacement.

Oh, and as far as pulling it out and using it....I'm just too active. In other words, I like to drive around a lot, so pulling it out (that is beginning to sound odd), just for a 2 hour stop makes little sense to me, as that is my "free energy" battery time. And even if I overstay, starting my 7.3l turbo diesel battery charger is SOOooo much easier. As long as I'm "On the Road" (Kerouac pun intended), my energy needs are obviously met. :cool:

jimindenver said:
Flex panels have a terrible reputation for short life spans and being easily damaged. The coating on the four I recently tested was so soft that wiping them with a wet rag left scratches from the desert dust.

I haven't mentioned this as I know many motor homes have built in generators. That said I am concerned with your plan of mounting the generator under the bus. Having the bus fill with smoke pretty much confirms my concerns as you could see the smoke but will not generally see the exhaust from the generator as it fills the living space. There have been reports of people that have died from simply placing the generator under their slide out or even next to the RV as a breeze blew the exhaust towards it. Please be careful and consider this.

Last thing is you may wish to check the laws about leaving the bus look like a school bus.

I believe the newer flex panels are better! At least that's what their marketing departments are trying to convey on their websites.  Are you insinuating they might not be honest...  :s  I just can't stand the look of big black thick sheets of panels on the roof. 

As far as venting goes, if I decide to mount the genny down under, that won't be much of an issue. (i.e. I learned my lesson changing the oil, and I'm a quick learner) The CO levels produced from this little propane generator are minimal at worst, and I believe extending the exhaust a foot or two won't create too much back pressure on the engine, if even needed. At this point, mounting it downstairs is just my dream situation; having a built in 40cc propane battery charger is exactly what I want! There's a very good reason that forklifts used inside warehouses are run on propane (now many are lithium too).

And yes, I have been pulled over twice this past year, and only by California highway patrolman, for my bus still looking like, and having functioning lights and stop sign. They like to lecture me on the issue, and how some pervert could steal kids or some such nonsense (no one has ever abducted kids with a retired school bus). After I explain to them that it's legal in North Dakota (not really sure, but they transferred the title and registered it without repainting, etc...like Cali requires), they usually shake their heads, tell me how easy the decals will come off with a heat gun, and say, "Have a good day".

Oh, the reason the bus filled with smoke, beyond the obvious like overfilling the crankcase, starting it, and shoving it under, is after I cut the seat bolts out with an acetylene torch, I bought, yet haven't used yet, a tube of black RTV to fill the holes.  :(  Just hasn't been necessary as of yet, as even when driving thru pouring rain, no water climbs up into the bus, and it's good ventilation for Mr. Heater Buddy!  And in the case of an unfortunate propane leak, it will just fall out thru 
the floor.  :D

Ok, let's see if all yawl have any ideas on a mounting/lifting system for my under bus battery charging dream. Take a look at the pics...i've decided behind the fuel tank, dead center at the rear of the bus, is a better location than behind a set of dual mud slingers. What you can see is plenty of clearance and space for my dream.

Now, I'm sure some of you have seen motorcycle lifts, or transmission jacks, designed to both lift vertically, and hold something in place. That's what I think would be needed for this to come to fruition. Weight is not really an issue, but it has to hang from the frame vs. sit on the ground.

I'm curious if any of yawls have seen anything like a small mechanical lifting device in the wild. I mean, sure, I could hire a fabricator to build it, but I'm thinking maybe something already exists IRL. You know, kind of like steps on an RV than disappear when driving, but more of a straight up-n-down motion.

And why yes, that "just do it" Home Depot bucket doubles as a toilet, dinner table, step stool, seating for unsuspecting visitors, etc... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20180301_112312.jpg
    20180301_112312.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180301_112331.jpg
    20180301_112331.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 22
I don't know if I want toilet and dinner table in the same sentence. LOL. highdesertranger

Anyone have thoughts on these after using theirs for a while? I'm thinking of picking one up.

Mount under the bus? Too much trouble to lift out to use? How large and heavy are these 700W generators? I was thinking of buying one of these, but not if I need help using it.

With no gasoline or tank it is lighter than most by at least a few lbs. but still has an engine and electrical componets that have a lot of heavy metal componets. It's biggest advantage is a fuel source that will not cause problems if stored for long periods and runs cleaner therefore usually less wear.