1999 Chevy E1500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasAnnie62

Reaction score
Hey everyone!  I think I'm finally at a point where I can hit the road.  I was laid off due to Covid and with outbreaks everywhere, it doesn't look as if jobs will be springing up any time soon.  So, I feel now's the time.  I've got 2 months after giving notice on my apartment lease.  

I am going to look at a van in the next several days. As indicated in the subject, it's a 1999 Chevy E1500 Conversion Van.  I'm waiting on pics of the interior but the exterior looks immaculate.  The van has 149K miles on it but the motor was replaced and has about 20K miles on it.  Before I decide to buy, I will take it to a mechanic for an inspection.  The asking price is $4500.  This seems like a fair price to me if it is mechanically sound but I really don't know. 

I would appreciate any thoughts someone may have.

Thanks!

Annie

Annie, you're not buying the van, you're buying the previous owner. Try to find out what happened to require a new motor at 130,000 miles, that's relatively low mileage to need a new motor. Maybe it was something catastrophic that was no fault of the previous owner, but if it was due to negligence / poor maintenance than that indicates other things were neglected / poorly maintained.

-- Bass

^^^ Such is true to a degree, though I bought a Suburban that somebody replaced the motor in and it ended up being a great rig for quite a few years.

Get your mechanic to check it out, if it checks good, go with it. Any used vehicle could have surprises, thats life. You do the best you can and keep going forward.

Replaced with what? Another used motor with unknown history? Or with a reman from a well known company that has a transferrable warranty?

Great point...I hadn\ said:
Annie, you're not buying the van, you're buying the previous owner. Try to find out what happened to require a new motor at 130,000 miles, that's relatively low mileage to need a new motor. Maybe it was something catastrophic that was no fault of the previous owner, but if it was due to negligence / poor maintenance than that indicates other things were neglected / poorly maintained.

-- Bass

More good questions to ask....thanks!

slow2day' pid='501895' dateline='1596146368']
Replaced with what? Another used motor with unknown history? Or with a reman from a well known company that has a transferrable warranty?
[/quote]

yeah that is strange that the engine has been replaced with such low miles. I would be very careful, ask for receipts and the warranty.

BTW brand new GM crate motors have a 3 year 30k warranty.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah that is strange that the engine has been  replaced with such low miles.  I would be very careful,  ask for receipts and the warranty.

BTW brand new GM crate motors have a 3 year 30k warranty.

highdesertranger

But dont worry, someone will be calling about the extended warranty on your vehicle (motor?).  :)

Warranty.jpg

Attachments

• Warranty.jpg
    Warranty.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2