1990 ambulance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oricha1984

Reaction score
So I'm considering buying a 1990 Ford E350 ambulance. Engine 7.3 with 50k+ miles. One owner: the fire department. Well taken care off and maintained. Price 4k.

Is it worth buying such an older vehicle? Would it be reliable?
Thanks

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

The question would be, how much do you know about the older 7.3 diesels?  That age isn't turbo'd, I dont believe, so wont be as responsive. Go to "ford-trucks.com" website and find "Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)" page for lots of that engine specific information.
Not to be a Debbie Downer but read this guy's experience/problem on that same website page I gave you, he has the same year 7.3, here's the topic question: "Guys I need some help on this one".

Would you feel comfortable with this kind of issue and the things he's done already? If this is your first diesel, it's a steep learning curve. If you are an old hand, pardon me but I couldn't tell...

Secondly, basically ignore the mileage as ambulances usually idle for hours... The idling time is way more detrimental than miles, usually.

Lastly, how's it look inside, underneath and outside, and get it checked by a knowledgeable truck mechanic, preferably diesel tech. 

The lights may have to be changed and you'll need to check on insurance and licensing prior to purchase. Look in our Misc Vehicles sub forum and search for "ambulance", a couple members have long threads about theirs.

I'm a car noob. No mechanic at all, I'm in the medical field. And I have never owned a diesel.
It looked like it was well taken care off.
Part of me feels uneasy about it, I'm assuming that's not a good feeling.
I might end up going bob's route and buy a newer vehicle.
I don't know...

Trust your gut. 

A diesel isn't something to learn on. A 318 Dodge, a 350 Chevy, a 300 inline 6 Ford, or a 351 Ford, those van motors will generally treat you right. Just about any shade tree or small town mechanic knows them and parts are everywhere.

Read up on that 7.3 forum, do you understand the terminology? Then go read a 318 or 350 or 351 truck forum, is that any clearer?  

If you have to pay someone to fix everything on the motor, you'd better have a deep pocket.
Ask forum member and moderator "High Desert Ranger" about the viability of a newbie getting a diesel. He's fixed more engines than I have tied shoelaces.

Copy that boss man. It don't make much sense to buy an older vehicle if I'll have to pay for all repairs.
Not very deep pockets here ;-(

Got it, reading the diesel forum. Ty

plug and play 350 chevy crate $5,000 that includes motor mounts, plug and play 7.3 $10,950 is the cheapest i found(partial rebuild) you can get em cheaper but no guarantee, cheaper one $7,500, a completely remanufactured one $15,000 to start, if you want up rated bigger alt. for instance add buks. just an FYI. and oh by the way you might wanna think about having the tranny freshened up, because normally when you put a new motor on an old tranny, you hang a clock on it. that goes for gas too.

Good comparisons there, diesel engines being 2-3x the price of gassers. Course the oil burner adherents will tell you they get 2-3x the miles too, but honestly, unless you tow or want to impress your truck friends, do you really need 800-1,000 ft lbs of torque, and upgrading the trans and rear end to handle it?  :huh:

I was thinking about a diesel 6.0 van once and watched a few (too many) videos from Powerstrokehelp.com.  Boy does he dispel the idea that diesels are less expensive to maintain and repair, and he certainly will educate you on the flaws surrounding the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 (actually International motors built to Ford specs)... Talk about expensive to repair... sheesh!

It's true that 7.3's are excellent motors but too noisy for me. I like the newer, quieter ones but couldn't afford a Ford 6.7 or newer GM Duramax. They don't put 6.7's in Vans and Duramax's are rare and pricey.

Anyway, I dont think its a good 1st vehicle for a non mechanic to own, seems like the OP is shifting to something else, probably a good idea. Thanks caretaker for that motor cost info.

The 7.3 IDI (pre-PowerStroke) is prone to cavitation (air bubbles form in the cylinder cooling walls creating hot-spots that eventually give way) - this is how my 7.3 died. The '85.5 - '87 6.9 IDI is a drop-in engine that doesn't have such issues, but that's a bit more effort than I would put forth in a new-to-me van. Mileage & idle time mean very little on a diesel engine since it's usually everything else that wears out long before the engine gives way, but at 50K miles, the trans is going to be heavy-duty, and while most of those miles were undoubtedly full-throttle life-saving mode miles, I wouldn't be overly concerned about either the chassis nor trans with the few miles it has. Consider me gun-shy, but I'd think the weakest link in the equasion is the engine itself by design. Just my thoughts on it anyway, Cotton

Thank you a for providing feedback. Ive been reading and it seems that i will probably end up buy a newer vehicle.

I'll continue hunting, reading, and learning about the ideal vehicle for my circumstances.
Thanks

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk