1988 GMC Safari SWB Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coultergeist

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">This post is to talk about my project to convert our 1988 GMC Safari Van into a mini-camper.&nbsp; It originally belonged to my wife's father.&nbsp; When he passed away it came to us.&nbsp; We were originally going to give it to our son when he got his driver's license, but he ended up getting a car instead.&nbsp; That left me with trying to figure out what to do with it.&nbsp; We all had vehicles and I hated for it to just sit there forever in the yard.&nbsp; I take a trip to North Carolina a couple of times each year and I thought it would be great if it were converted into a mini-camper so I could save on hotel costs and such.&nbsp; I wish I had taken a picture of the inside before I cleaned it out.&nbsp; It was in pretty rough shape.&nbsp; Mechanically, it was not in bad shape, but there were alot of other things that needed help.&nbsp; Only one door handle actually worked on the whole van.&nbsp; You haven't had fun until you've had to figure out a way to remove the door handles on a Safari when you can't open the door.&nbsp; Interior lights didn't work properly.&nbsp; Fuel gauge was the only gauge that actually worked.&nbsp; Brakes were spotty at best.&nbsp; Like I said, it had some issues.&nbsp; Seats were really rough, especially in the back.&nbsp; It needed alot of time to fix all the minor issues.&nbsp; Anyway here goes on the conversion.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p>As you can see from the pics the outside was in pretty decent shape.&nbsp; Eventually it will get repainted, but that will be after everything else is done.&nbsp; First thing I did was to replace all the power window and door lock switches.&nbsp; None of them worked.&nbsp; Would have cost well over a hundred dollars to replace them all with factory parts so I fabricated my own.&nbsp; Turned out pretty well.&nbsp; After that I did lots of measuring and test fitting and trying to figure out what would fit where and how.&nbsp; I decided to go with a long shelf behind the driver's seat with the top of the shelf being what I slept on.&nbsp; Being a short wheel base there was not room to do any shelving on either end.&nbsp; The second picture is the pieces of the first part of the long shelf just sitting together to make sure they would fit and I didn't need to make any adjustments before I bolted it all together.&nbsp; Shelving is actually made from old desk tops.&nbsp; It is a little heavier than I wanted but makes for an incredibly sturdy platform.&nbsp; Turned out to be a good thing as the plan changed later on.</p>

<p>After I was sure the original pieces of the shelf fit, it was all bolted together.&nbsp; It is the cornerstone of the installation.&nbsp; Most of the electrical connections and electronics are a part of it.&nbsp; A hole was drilled down through the floor and a power entry box was installed under the cabinet.&nbsp; It is setup for 30 amp service.&nbsp; The box is underneath because I didn't want it to stand out that it was anything other than a regular van.&nbsp; It is easy to get to as there is actually quite alot of ground clearance under a Safari or Astro. A full fuse panel was installed for the 30 amp input.&nbsp; Additionally, a 1000 watt and 1500 watt inverters were installed to power the microwave, entertainment stuff and anything else needed while on the road.&nbsp; A coax cable was also ran to a connection point under the van so cable tv or tv antenna could be connected when at a campsite.&nbsp; Connections for that and audio video devices was also installed into the cabinet.</p>

<p>After getting the main cabinet installed, I test fit and then installed the corner part of the shelf.&nbsp; Originally the plan was for the refrigerator to be installed in the opposite corner, the microwave in the main cabinet and the bed was to be the top of the shelf.&nbsp; Seemed like a really good plan, right up until I took it out for its first test run.&nbsp; The bed space was a good size but it was awkward so close to the roof.&nbsp; The van interior is only four feet tall and the cabinet is two feet tall.&nbsp; Two feet of clearance is not as comfortable as I hoped it would be.&nbsp; Also, I quickly realized there was not alot of storage space.&nbsp; The large corner opening is actually intended for an air conditioner so it won't be able to be used as storage in the final version.&nbsp; This required a major rethink on how to get more out of the limited space available.&nbsp; The major issue was how to re-engineer the bed and it took me several weeks to work out a good plan.</p>

<p>I had already invested an awful lot of time and energy into the cabinetry that had already been built and installed and I didn't want to have to replace it so I had to work around it.&nbsp; Ultimately, I decided the best way to go was to move the refrigerator out of the corner and but the bed on that side of the van.&nbsp; In order to make the van as easy to move around in as possible, I developed a folding design.&nbsp; When not used,&nbsp;it folds up in the passenger side back corner.&nbsp; In its stored state, it is the same height as the rest of the counter top and gives more counter top work space.&nbsp; When folded out it is six and a half feet long and two feet wide.&nbsp; It is actually pretty comfortable.&nbsp; The hinges that are used to secure it into the corner have removable pins.&nbsp; It can be pulled out and used as a stand alone table outside or inside the van. The pictures show it being built and how it looks on its own.</p>

<p>After getting the bed taken care of, the next step was to install the microwave and pantry cabinet.&nbsp; It started out life as a metal printer cart.&nbsp; It was the right overall size and being metal it was strong but relatively lightweight.&nbsp; It also only cost a few dollars at a thrift store that was tired of seeing it.&nbsp; It had shelves in it that were not configured very well for its new purpose.&nbsp; Shelves were taken out and the whole thing sanded down and repainted.&nbsp; The shelves were modified and reinstalled so that the microwave would fit where it needed to and the area under could be use for pantry storage.&nbsp; It is a good size to hold nonperishable foods.</p>

<p>After finishing the microwave cabinet, it was time to install cabinet doors on the main cabinet and a panel under the bed.&nbsp; The area behind the panel is sized to accomodate a small camping potti just in case I'm in a place where I can't get to a regular bathroom.&nbsp; There is also space behind it to hold a tool bag.&nbsp; Finishing out cabinets and the potti panel really made the interior look much better.</p>

<p>After getting those things completed, the refrigerator was remounted in its new location.&nbsp; Included are pictures to give you and idea of how it looks right now.&nbsp; I still have a TV mount to install. Hopefully, I will get that done this weekend.&nbsp; The Air Conditioner will install in the large space in the corner.&nbsp; That will be a good sized project all by itself.&nbsp; Will probably tackly that next week.&nbsp; Took it out as it is now and it performed very well.&nbsp; Food preparation was a snap.&nbsp; Bed folded out and worked great.&nbsp; Will update more after the rest is complete.</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks, really appreciate the comments.&nbsp; It has been a challenge.&nbsp; A short wheel base Safari is not exactly the ideal vehicle to convert to a camper and it takes alot of effort to get the absolute most out of the space you can.&nbsp; There is a two burner stove and a coleman camping sink that store in the main cabinet.&nbsp; Was going to have a permanent sink, but with the height of the van, it just seemed like it would be more useful to be able to do it outside and save the space for more useful things.&nbsp; It has certainly been a project that made me think alot.&nbsp; There are tons of very good examples of how to convert full size vans, but only one or two posts that I have found that deal with an Astro or Safari.&nbsp; I was pretty much working in the dark and had to figure out on my own what would work best. Again, thank you for your comments and I welcome any suggestions that could make it better.&nbsp; If anybody has any questions as to how I did anything and would like a little more detail than I went into already just let me know.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p>It's been a little while since I've been able to post.&nbsp; Had some life issues that have put the van build in a new light. Things have changed a bit again and it seems it may be my primary residence in a few months.&nbsp; I have been trying to get it as prepared as possible.&nbsp; There is a big difference between a camper and a home.&nbsp; Finally got the potti and it ended up fitting really well in the space that was built for it under the folded bed.&nbsp; The coleman camping sink I got does a really good job.&nbsp; Below are pictures of those things.</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">I got the tv mount installed.&nbsp; I used a full motion mount so it can be turned and extended any direction in the van.&nbsp; I can watch it from the front passenger seat (which can be turned around) or while laying down.&nbsp; I got a great deal on a dvd player and it is mounted on top of the microwave cabinet.&nbsp; Both it and the tv can be easily removed in case I decide to use them outside of the vehicle. The first picture is just the tv and the mount.&nbsp; The other two show it all cabled up and the dvd player installed above it.&nbsp; It is a 9" tv.&nbsp; Not very big, but it is more than big enough for the Safari van.&nbsp; The farthest you would ever be from it is only three or four feet.&nbsp; It does really well. When not needed, it folds up into the microwave cabinet.&nbsp; There is a magnet on a strap that holds it in place out of the way.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">The next thing I worked on was a tv antenna.&nbsp; I had used it with a cable tv connection at a camp site and it worked great, but camp sites get expensive after a while.&nbsp; I decided it would be a good idea to have a regular antenna as well.&nbsp; The problem is I live and work in a pretty rural area and the closest stations are 30 or 40 miles away.&nbsp; I tried a couple of different things mounted inside the van and none of them did any real good.&nbsp; I decided it would have to be outside.&nbsp; I got this small outdoor amplified antenna.&nbsp; Originally, I had it mounted on the roof luggage rack, but it couldn't recieve so close to the metal roof of the van.&nbsp; I got a military extendable tent pole and mounted it to it.&nbsp; The pole fits inside the gap between the bumper and back of the vehicle and then a bungee cord coming from the luggage rack holds it tight against the vehicle.&nbsp; It takes only about a minute to put up and take down.&nbsp; It is pretty directional.&nbsp; As long as it is aimed toward the stations you want to recieve, it does really well.&nbsp; I got about 30 channels the first time I tried it this way.&nbsp; Not too bad for an antenna that is only supposed to be good for about 20 miles.&nbsp; Obviously, it is not very stealthy, so it can't be used everywhere.&nbsp; But it should do a good job when it can be used.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p>The next big project was the air conditioning.&nbsp; In southeast Georgia in the middle of summer time, this comes in super handy.&nbsp; I was a soldier and I can deal with heat, but it's much nicer if you don't have to.&nbsp; Extended stays in 120 degree vehicles is just no fun at all.&nbsp; The air conditioner, however, has posed a big challenge from the very start of the build.&nbsp; The original plan called for modifying a window unit air conditioner and placing it in the opening in the back driver side corner of the van.&nbsp; Hot air from the coils would have been vented out of a vent in the back door.&nbsp; I used a similar design in the military and it worked pretty well.&nbsp; The van has a pretty small interior space so I am confident a 5,000 btu unit would have been more than enough and would have worked well.&nbsp; Things, however, changed.&nbsp; The van has went from camper to soon-to-be home and that requires alot more stowage space.&nbsp; The space in the rear where the a/c was meant to go is just way too much storage space to pass up.&nbsp; Additionally, I may use a tent from time to time to have additional space and the a/c mounted in the van would be difficult or impossible to move and would be unable to cool both.&nbsp; After much wrangling and searching, I decided the best choice would be a true portable air conditioner.&nbsp; I found a good deal on one at a flea market.&nbsp; It will just fit between the two front seats.&nbsp; It is an 8,000 btu unit so it cools off the van very quickly.&nbsp; It has enough capacity to easily cool a tent if need be and it can be removed from the van and stored during the cooler weather and save valuable space in the van.&nbsp; All great things.&nbsp; Two problems: power to run it and how to vent it.&nbsp; I reasoned that even the smaller window unit would require far more power than a modest battery bank and inverters would be capable of supplying for a whole night.&nbsp; Therefore, it would only really be useful with shore power (in which case how much power it drew wouldn't matter anyway) or when I was able to use the generator.&nbsp; So really power issues would have been the same for either air conditioner plan.&nbsp; Venting was more complicated.&nbsp; In the front of the van there really aren't alot of easy ways to do&nbsp;it.&nbsp; Ultimately, I decided the best most practical way was to build an adapter to fit in the driver side window when the air conditioner would be used.&nbsp; It took some trial and error to figure out what would work best.&nbsp; This shows the finished design in the window.&nbsp; It is pretty water tight and is quick and easy to install.&nbsp; Just loosen the wing nuts, roll down the window, put the adapter in place and roll the window up.&nbsp; Tighten the wing nuts so it is water tight.&nbsp; hose just attaches by friction.&nbsp; It can be installed and removed in a minute or so.&nbsp; With just the fan only running it does not need the hose attached and will easily run all night from the battery bank.&nbsp; So, if I am where I need to be a bit more stealthy, I can cool off the van and then use just the fan for the rest of the night.</p>

<p>My main focus now is trying to make sure all of the storage spaces are being used most efficiently.&nbsp; I am going to spend today getting all the drawers and containers organized and work out their final placements.&nbsp; Also, I have to make a door for the storage space where the air conditioner was originally going to go.&nbsp; I will try to get more pictures posted in the next few days after that gets accomplished.&nbsp; Hopefully, I won't find too many more things along the way that I need to change.&nbsp; Again, any thoughts or suggestions that anybody has would be greatly appreciated.&nbsp; I try to think everything through and make good choices, but there is no substitute for actual experience and I'm sure many of the folks on here have already tackled just about every problem I'm still trying to work out.&nbsp; I have plans and drawings of most everything that has been done on the van, so if anybody else out there is trying to do anything similar and would like some help or advice that I can give, just let me know.&nbsp; I will help in any way I can.</p>

<p>Thanks. I really appreciate it.&nbsp; It has been a lot of hard work.&nbsp; I realized while I was organizing things today that I had not ever posted pictures of the bed folded out and ready to be used.&nbsp; These should give a good idea of how it looks in use and the amount of space it takes up.&nbsp; It is actually pretty comfortable.&nbsp; Padding is two portable crib mattresses covered with three layers (4.5 inches total) of memory foam.</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">I got most of the storage drawers and containers in place today.&nbsp; I also added some magnetic tool holders to keep knives and things like that in reach.&nbsp; Will probably put some of the knives&nbsp;away in drawers but I wanted to&nbsp;know just how much they could hold.&nbsp; Other pictures show how everything is loaded up.&nbsp; Trying to make it as easy as possible to get to the things that are needed.&nbsp; It is coming together pretty well I think.&nbsp; Still have to get the cabinet door done and then will have some outside things to take care of.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">I like...Very nice.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Rae</p>

Latest posts