1987 Dodge D350

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilD1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions, past experiences with a similar type vehicle.
I'm looking to buy a 1987 Dodge d350. It's a 1 ton, non duallie, 2 wheel drive, 360 v8, auto trans, 4 bbl carb, with a flat bed stake body, short wheelbase. Mileage unknown at this time. Concerns are mpg expectations having never owned a heavier duty truck (I've only owned 1/2 tons before this). Are the 80's trucks and drivetrains dependable enough? Are they easy enough to work on?

The reason I am looking at a 1 ton is I own a 23' travel trailer and want the ability to pull it without worrying about stressing a 1/2 ton truck.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences.

I had a 77 tradesman B300. Got something like 10 mpg on the highway. It was a 318 2 BBL. My current 87, 318, 2 bbl gets 10 or 11 mpg.

Wow, weight, thats low!

If you're getting a truck chassis, get one with a manual, unless, obv you have some lower extremity handicap.
That's the component that will fail sooner or later, and, in those years will get double digit percent better fuel econ.
A van you don't have much of a choice, but here you do.

You'll pay a premium for a Cummins. However, one vehicle that actually retains value,  even if truck is rusted in half

Towing with gas, high single digits MPG. Im sure someone here has same/similar combo. 

Always look at build sheet, it could've been ordered w some crazy gear ratio

Thanks weight and uptownsport.
I will admit to having a preference for a manual transmission. Would love a diesel but out of my price range right now.
Any other comments?If I could figure it out I would post a couple pics. Already on Photobucket but I can't get the hang of this tablet.

if you are looking for a 1 ton of that vintage I would go with a Chevy. much, much more aftermarket support. highdesertranger

Weight said:
I had a 77 tradesman B300. Got something like 10 mpg on the highway. It was a 318 2 BBL. My current 87, 318, 2 bbl gets 10 or 11 mpg.

I had a 77 Maxiwagon with a 360 and got 14mpg on the hiway. My present 91 w/318 gets 10 in city and 16 on the hiway, so I'd say Weight's figures are not the norm. Towing will lower it a bunch though of course.

Agree with HDR about more Chevy stuff out there. However, the 360/727 combo is pretty robust for towing and there are still plenty of them on the road. The Torqueflite is one of the heaviest duty autos made and you still can get one rebuilt without spending a fortune. Dealing with the carb may suck but it can be replaced with a new Holley or Edelbrock.

727 is really easy to DIY.

Probably a Thermoquad still?
Those were EZ too.

Both our Dodge vans got much better than 10, one had a 400.

Two CTD PUs, one 4WD manual, other 2WD slush. Both over 20 MPG. Extremely heavy vehicles because of Cummins-
And necessary drivetrain - 3/4 ton has a Dana 80!!!!!!!

Our older PUs with gas manuals got 15-17, people with /6 would get close to 20.

A guy had a fleet of g20s with 350 slush, 4.10 and 8.00 16.5s!
You could win drag races, but drivers burned off tires and I'd hate to see his avg MPG.

So specifics matter. Delivery trucks he would've been miles ahead with sixes and reasonable axle ratio.

^
BTW: An '87 might still have 16.5" wheels on it and those tires are hard to find.

Count on spending at least $100-200 to buy 16" rims.

My 77 B350 had 15" 8 lug wheels. So there are others than 16.5" I bet you could find 16" in a recycle yard.

I'm gonna say 9mpg.
I had 2 69+70 Sweptlines both with 318s 2bbl, different rears 3.8 and 4.1. manual 3 on the tree. Both got 10mpg no matter how much weight was on.
Then had a '76 Sportscoach class A 29' with a 440 4bbl and a 727 15,000# and it got 9 !