1978 holiday monitor--1st RV with lots of q's like where can we plug this baby in??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monitor the Dragon

Reaction score
Newbie here in Iowa looking for help as we renovate our vintage camper.  Drove it her home and we got way too excited and started demo on her the very  next day--to assess the water damage....took out the dated kitchen bottom cabinets, sink, several of the walls, threw out the stove (we will use a cooktop) and got it down to the studs. We THEN realized that was probably a mistake since we have NO idea what works in our rig: water pump, water heater, sinks, generator, main propane heater for the back, lights, etc.  we are pretty handy but are so overwhelmed with what to tackle first.  Lots of water damage and what looks like mold in some corners.  Also a lot of leaks by windows especially the one above the cab. 

We took it to a dealer in Cedar Rapids,  hoping they would inspect it but they declined due to the disarray of wires and lack of sink.  They didnt want to be libel for damage for disconnected water hoses, etc.   Then we went to a Walmart hoping to find a plug in to figure out things on our own (it stated there was some on the website) and couldn't find a single one. All the campgrounds are closed until April. Then we tried to start the generator with the battery and discovered it was very dead (it had been sitting a while) and it just won't turn over.  We are having a day of "no". 

Any advice or encouragement for these overwhelmed newbies and where the heck can we plug her in to see what works (all lights are still connected and we didn't touch the ceiling). I attached pics of the water damage I'm concerned about as well as the very dirty window tracks--how can I clean these because this may be the reason our windows are leaking??

Attachments

• IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    512 KB · Views: 24
Well yall have bitten off quite of bit. First thing is to fix the leaks. Don't remove any more wood until this is done. I suggest due to the age of the rig is to remove all windows (one at a time)..clean the old sealant off, repair only the rotted/soft pieces around the frame of the hole, then put new sealant and re-install window. I suggest doing only one window at a time start to finish. When you get to the toilet I recommend building a pedestal under it and raise it up about 2 inches.  Most of all right now...Stop demo of everything you see thats bad. Work one small area/ or corner at a time. This will help it stay more structurally sound. If you lightly spray water around windows you will be able to see which ones are leaking and where. If more than one. Cover/Tape these windows until you can get to them to remove and replace. Same with roof. A camper that age would be best if you remove every thing that goes in or out of the roof (a/c, sewer vent, air vents, etc.). Do these one at a time. And watch the weather so you don't get caught in the rain with open spots up there. I know I skipped around subject wise. But hope it helps as a whole. Feel free to PM me here. I am a 11 yr full time rv'er. My first camper was built like yours. Travel trailer 16 ft. I had to rebuild darn near the whole camper (while I stayed in it). Took me awhile..But got it done.  Oh..BTW ..That gen...Drain all the fuel out all of it, clean everything possible in the fuel intake area etc for starters. Change filters too.