1978 Chevy G30 van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonna Jump

Reaction score
Thinking of buying this van, has new engine, 9k miles on it, rebuilt tranny, new heavy duty tires, new brakes, shocks etc. Mechanically sound, cosmetically not so much. It has a high top, was a camper conversion, still is sort of. Needs gutting and starting over. It lived in AZ, no rust. Needs new window rubber seals etc. He's asking 8k. I am mechanically inept, will have it checked and offer less than asking. I have about 12k to invest in new home. Opinions? Thanks!

Gonna Jump said:
Thinking of buying this van, has new engine, 9k miles on it, rebuilt tranny, new heavy duty tires, new brakes, shocks etc.
<-------->
Opinions?
Sounds like all the basic mechanical's have been handled. Just have a close look at the wiring and make sure all the electronics such as horn, headlamps, turn signals, etc work. Sounds like it could be nice.

8K for a van that is 39 years old, no matter what shape it's in is just a little high (a little bit of exaggeration there).

This is not a body off restoration of a classic vehicle. This is an older van.

I'm not saying that with all the work that has been done to it that it's a $1,000 vehicle BUT!

Can a vehicle that old even be run through Kelly Blue Book - if not then try looking at some vans in that price range and see how much newer they are in comparison.

$8k for a 1978....only if it was in perfect condition! With your budget you could get a much newer vehicle. For a vehicle that old you gotta figure all the suspension components are due for replacement, fuel tank and lines are suspect (possible rust, debris, etc). Might be worth $1k even with the "new" engine. Many sellers think because a vehicle is old it's a "classic" or "antique" and worth much more than it really is.  And you stated it needs a full gut and build out to boot. Unless he would drop down in price I would pass.

gsfish said:
Things that stick out to me... 39YO van... cosmetically bad... needs gutting... needs seals etc... mechanically inept... $8K! Mileage and pictures would help in making long distance opinions. Make sure that you see paperwork on the "new" engine and transmission. Anyone that had that kind of work done and has no paperwork to show for it is BSing or incompetent.
These are all good points. Asking that kind of money had better buy some piece of mind in the form of receipts and warranties.
Whenever you mention 78 or older, my eyes just sort of glaze over due to those being some my favorite era's for cars. $8000. is just way too high.
But please do post photos of it.

Agreed, I love older, non computerized vehicles, but no way I would drop 8K on anything less than an absolutely perfect 78, and even then, with 8k, I bet I could find a fairly new van with a lot less age on it

wow 8k for a 78 van is way to much. I have a 78 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 crew cab and I might have that much into it after 18 years. highdesertranger

ArtW said:
Agreed, I love older, non computerized vehicles, but no way I would drop 8K on anything less than an absolutely perfect 78, and even then, with 8k, I bet I could find a fairly new van with a lot less age on it
An M.S.D. equipped High energy ignition was as computerized as I would ever need, and my sweet spot.
Before anybody says anything, yeah no computer in that system. 
If everything worked, and worked well, $4K would be the high side.

if no receipts is just hear say

gm crate 350 $2000
trans $1500
tires $1000
new carb $300

theres almost 5k right there,whats brakes and shock done at a shop cost?

it might be worth it

[ATTACH=full said:
12988[/ATTACH] Ballenxj pid='290655' dateline='1494382780'][These are all good points. Asking that kind of money had better buy some piece of mind in the form of receipts and warranties.
Whenever you mention 78 or older, my eyes just sort of glaze over due to those being some my favorite era's for cars. $8000. is just way too high.
But please do post photos of it.

He said he had all receipts, etc. Showed me paperwork on rebuilt tranny, 9/15. Said wasn't sure warranty would transfer on engine, something about having proof it was broken in correctly. Said all new drive train and new components on engine like radiator,power steering, fuel pump, hoses, etc. If he has proof, and my mechanic oks...I'm less worried about cosmetics and more about mechanical breakdown in middle of nowhere. I'll try to post pics, I'm a techno weenie too, but I'm learning. Maybe offer 1500/2000?

Attachments

• van2.jpg
    van2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
Gary68 said:
if no receipts is just hear say

gm crate 350 $2000
trans $1500
tires $1000
new carb $300

theres almost 5k right there,whats brakes and shock done at a shop cost?

it might be worth it

He says he did the work himself except for the transmission, calls himself a wrench jockey.

Gonna Jump said:
He said he had all receipts, etc. Showed me paperwork on rebuilt tranny, 9/15. 
<-------->
Maybe offer 1500/2000?
If he actually has the receipts and spent the money, he will probably laugh or get pissed at a low ball offer like that, but try if you will. I would be  prepared to spend more like $3500 to $4000. for it. It has potential. Does it have any appliances?
Oh, be advised that a G30 is a one ton. Check to see if it has E rated tires. Probably does from the sound of it.

Ballenxj said:
If he actually has the receipts and spent the money, he will probably laugh or get pissed at a low ball offer like that, but try if you will. I would be  prepared to spend more like $3500 to $4000. for it. It has potential. Does it have any appliances?
Oh, be advised that a G30 is a one ton. Check to see if it has E rated tires. Probably does from the sound of it.

It has an old fridge, runs on electric, propane 3 burner. He just emailed me he'd  sell it for 7500 and take out the stuff in it since I said I probably gut it.

Gonna Jump said:
It has an old fridge, runs on electric, propane 3 burner. He just emailed me he'd  sell it for 7500 and take out the stuff in it since I said I probably gut it.
Sounds like he's pretty proud of it.
 When we found somebody with pricing like that we would say it was priced for him to remain being the last owner.

between $6500/$7500 but if it really has no rust and he has done a good job it has an RV title (I've been looking at those things for the last 6-8 years) its not that far out of line,,,the MOST i would go $7000 the biggest advantage it has is its easy to work on, i had a 76 and it was not that bad,,your gonna spend a bunch on door seals and such, but when you get that part done, i mean no leaks your gonna have some juicy bones.

caretaker said:
between $6500/$7500 but if it really has no rust and he has done a good job it has an RV title (I've been looking at those things for the last 6-8 years) its not that far out of line,,,the MOST i would go $7000.

I think the main difference between your thoughts and mine on price is because you're East coast, and I'm closer to West?
Either way, I think it has real possibilities, and I would be mighty happy with it.
Gonna Jump, If you do get it, and finish it right, you will have one fine vintage van. :)

I'd pass on that and look for a newer model, especially at that asking price. With a budget of 12K you should be easily able to find a low mileage newer 1980's, early 90's *fuel injected* Explorer, or similar class-B RV with all the bells and whistles.

I think that 8K for a '78, even with all the new bits and pieces is really steep, especially if the interior needs a going through. I bought my '86 Ford class-B for 4K and it needed nothing but a new tailpipe, which I welded in myself.