$1500 budget, Jackery Expoler 2000 or Zendure SuperBase Pro 2000?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The unit in question appears to be LiFePO4. As you say, "look up their safety requirements" as LFP is not prone to thermal runaway like Li-NMC, etc.

Mine sits on a lizard warming mat.

I've used GC to good effect. Horses for courses.

There's a big difference (or should be) between "not my thing" and spreading FUD.
My intention was not to "FUD". I have 40 wish years living / working off batteries / generators. Less than a year with solar gave it away bc I was too mobile and was able to get power from a engine / generator. There comes a time when you have to cut your losses, upgrade / replace. I am big on diversifying / shrink critical items, so that when needed I can toss the item. With my means I would have to think twice to toss a $1000 battery, but would not hesitate to toss a $250 battery. Another example for me would be diesel heater where I live an Espar heater goes for about $2500 cdn uninstalled with a service life rating of 5000 hrs. At 10 hrs a night that is around 500 nights. Where as the Chinese Diesel heater off Amazon at $220 needs only to last 440 hrs / 44 nights to break even. Where I live it is way cheaper to buy a new C heater every year if needed. I get some like their coffee in a nice porcelain cup while others are happy with a paper cup, I just tend to save where I can or makes sense to me.

I generally hate crowdfunding. Especially for stuff like this where it isn't some pie in the sky crazy cool idea like making an adapter for some cool retre tech whose parent company long ago took a dirt nap. But rather a marketing gambit where the company has little risk.
But 1500wh of LiFeP04 for that low of a price? I'd be lucky to get 400wh of regular old LiFePo for that much. Much less a charger/inverter etc.
Look forward to hearing your experience with it.

Great you want the cheapest packaged unit / box. At the end of the day profit is made some where. I've been burned by lithium-ion, so they're not my thing. Look up their safety record / requirements, look at their cold weather performance a.k.a. charging. I think going cheap on batteries period let alone lithium ion. Is a fire waiting to happen. If your putting them in a vehicle, that's a lot of vibration. There is a reason why marine batteries and golf cart batteries are made the way they are. There is a reason why there is fire bags for lithium ion batteries. Just saying.
Thank you for that… I’d keep hearing the LitIon was the shitsnits… but fancy can fail fancy. Idk if they are fancy or not but they seem like it. I always wonder when things sound too good or such a game changer, they may be but there are always things to be aware of. I had asked about marine batteries as that just what I remember growing up, and cold crank here for the cold.. as well as these newer vehicles are always pulling for their electrical systems even when off … something has to work the beep beep unlock remote start.

I hadn’t thought of the vibration. It also makes me realize it’s important to have more than one exit as fires do happen, and I wouldn’t want to get caught on the wrong end.

Would it be prudent to have redundancy? Having another source of energy? Esp if your vehicle battery goes dead and you’re out in nowhere’sville? If you have the money that is, wouldn’t this also be a safety precaution? Or am I misunderstanding what these are primarily used for?

I have seen some power stations/batteries that have their own solar systems. So one could charge off solar even if they don’t have roof panels. Is that something that could be used in this situation?

https://www.jackery.com/products/jackery-explorer-240-solarsaga-60w-solar-generator