Is a Jackery ever the best solution?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firearms, portable generators, and portable power units are high theft items.

I doubt a thief would dismantle an installed solar system.

TWIH said:
Will Prowse has a version 1.0 that's ridiculously easy to build and you could fix/repair any part of it, plus a much greater capacity however it doesn't have the "cool" factor.

Depends on one's conception of "cool".

One might find Will Prowse, and doing it yourself, way more cool, than the Apple engineer who came up with the expensive, non repairable Jackery. (Any resemblance to Apple products was purely intentional.)

Jackeries are ok, but they take forever and a day to charge, and only charge from their our unreasonably expensive panels with the proprietary connectors..
The Apple moto in play.

Unfortunately, Jackery uses the much more susceptible to thermal runaway Li NMC chemistry as opposed to LiFePO4. And the cycles are low compared to LiFePO4 (500 vs 3000 plus). If you are going to buy the super expensive for what you get all-in-one, at least find one with the better battery chemistry.

That said, I am finishing a milk crate with 100ah homemade LiFePO4 battery with BMS with bluetooth and low temp protection, 20 amp shore charger, cheap 20 amp PWM solar charger, and various usb, and 12v Anderson powerpole connectors for devices. Oh, and a shunt-based battery monitor. Maybe $400 total when I am done. Started with Will Prowse and went from there. To compare to the deceptive marketing of the Jackery and Yeti folks, this is 1320 watt hours or 1320000 mWh (heh). You could add a 300 watt PSW invertor for $150 or so if you have mild AC power needs. All modular and all repairable/upgradeable.

Good luck with your decision.