12V Wiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I plan on wiring my 12 v LED lighting fixture on the roof  (inside ) of my cargo trailer. ....it's about a 10 ft run to  my fuse panel. 
I have some 14 ga AWG wire that I got from HD.  

So, If I  understand, the best choice is to use marine grade wire?

If so,  I'll follow Scott's suggestion  and look at just getting 2 spools of red and black. 

Thx ,

Pat

marine wire is the top choice. 2nd choice would be automotive wire. very few Home Depots sell auto wire, I have only seen the 7 and 4 wire trailer connection wire there. if you are running both positive and negative zip wire is a good choice. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
marine wire is the top choice.  2nd choice would be automotive wire.  very few Home Depots sell auto wire,  I have only seen the 7 and 4 wire trailer connection wire there.  if you are running both positive and negative zip wire is a good choice.  highdesertranger

On my way to the local HW store.  Thx, HDR.

Pat

Pat, if you use separate runs of automotive primary wire, you can twist them together with a small variable speed drill to form a 'twisted pair' cable.

This will shorten the entire length somewhat, but its much easier to route thru openings in ribs and bulkheads.

If you do decide to use jacketed trailer cable in the future, you can order this online or find it at just about any truck parts store.

I installed my system as I was closing down my house. I 'salvaged' and extra orange work extension cord into three strands positive and negative and marked same appropriately.

I have not yet burned up.

Douglas, how long has your wire been in place? the problem I found with extension cord wire is the insulation starts to rot after a few years. but I do understand it's a popular go to. highdesertranger

Latest posts