12V Receptacle Issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouldy

Reaction score
So I wired in a 12V receptacle into my trailer, and so far I have blown 2 DC chargers (cell phone and Ipod). I have everything wired correctly (hot to prong and neutral to back). I have the wires spliced into the wires that run to my water pump. Any ideas on why I keep killing chargers?<br>

12 volt wiring in the trailer has different colors for power.<br><br>All white wires are ground or neutral, black is "hot" ( in RV wiring)<br><br>I would use a meter and make sure of the polarity for your chargers, and to also make sure of the voltage you are tapping into.<br><br>Putz<br>
1224.gif
<br><br><br><br><br><br>

I did check with a meter to check to polarity and that was all good. Must be something with the voltage, but not sure how it would get too high....<br>

I generally use Red for supply when I'm doing the wiring. &nbsp;Even if there's enough wiring available, I'll splice it in.<div><br></div><div>What's the fuse/breaker size? &nbsp;Could be the fuse/breaker is too large.</div><div><br></div><div>Hammer</div>

<P>Current spike when the pump comes on? Better would be to parallel your wiring to the battery or observable battery primary wiring.&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>

Pump doesn't even have to come on for it to bust em. The fuse is an 10 amp...<br>

Sure sounds as if you have a voltage spike or possibly low voltage.&nbsp; Or a bad recepticle causing a short when pluged in.&nbsp; Ed<br>

Brand new receptacle.... need to hook it direct to the battery and see what the deal is i think<br>

<P>What do you mean by DC Charger?&nbsp; The way I am reading this you hooked a regular old outlet up to you 12 volt battery, keeping the outlet at 12 Volt DC instead of using an inverter and bumping it up to 120 Volt AC.&nbsp; Are you plugging the regular old cell phone charger and ipod charger directly into the recepticle?</P>