12V Chargeable Tool Systems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurtin1962

Reaction score
My Porter Cable 18V power tools have served me well, but they are wearing out and are no longer in production.  Are there any other brands that have 12 volt chargers for the batteries?  One problem I have with my current tools is I had to use grid A/C to charge them since inverter square wave  A/C will damage the batteries.

I've had great luck With Ryobi. I have a 12v charger with ciggy plug and a 110v charger, plugged into my square wave invetrer. Both have worked great for me for years. In fact, my recent remodel of the van was done using only these tools and no grid power.

Good luck w/ your search.!

x2 on the Ryobi 18 volt with car charger. The large batteries and car charger work great and fans can even come with misters, lights and there is even a small air compressor! I used Dewalt for years when I had a business and feel they and Porter Cable had superior tools as they did not heat up as much as the Ryobi tools do but after using Ryobi tools for 3 years now I have had only one drill I bought used fail. The lower price and the fact one battery fits everything plus the big 18 volt battery can be charged in the car and run their fan 8 hours on low and their desk lamp worked for days when building my camper has convinced me. There are much higher priced tools out there that may last a little longer and work a little quicker but the Ryobi tools have been a good fit for me. It allowed me to put off buying a solar system when traveling for 3 months as I only needed lights and fans.

charged Ryobi gear with PWM inverters all the time, no issue. I suppose some could be, but not my Ryobi gear.
Lithium based tools have charges that will work on PWM no problem.

I know many on this forum love their Ryobi tools and swear by them. if they work for you great. I use DeWalt 18v and yes they have a car charger. I rate DeWalt just below the top tier of cordless tools. I other words there are a couple better brands but they cost way more. highdesertranger

I needed a granola chainsaw in my tool box. This is the term real loggers in BC apply to battery powered chainsaws. So I went with the Dewalt flexVolt system and haven't had any issues before I left home. The FlexVolt allows you to use batteris in other devices, most of which I am not allowed to touch with people around but I like it. The chainsaw is pretty incredible for what it will do and even some of my Real Logger types have used it. It ain't an 80 bar tree slayer but it is enough to get a dead fall or blow down off the trail so You don't have to drive over it. For me it is the best value/money decision depending on the tools you need to power.

I've used Dewalt 18v professionally for years, the weak link appears to be their 12v car charger- after several failing, each in less than a year- I've been charging batteries with the 120v charger through an inverter with no apparent issues.

Ryobi should be fine for anyone not using their tools for hours on end and daily

DeWalt has a 3 year warranty on their equipment. I haven't had any problems with my 12v charger. also I have used the 120v charger off a MSW invertor. highdesertranger

My brother has been picking up old 12 volt tools at yard sales VERY cheaply and converting them to run off the vehicle's 12 volt battery directly by soldering wires to the contacts a 12 volt tool battery would ordinarily power.

Anybody hear how the new Harbor Freight-sold brands are doing? They sell at least two levels of 18volt cordless now.

Another DOH! moment.  Thanks John.  I have an 12V drill that a replacement battery costs more than the drill is worth.  Making it a corded drill to use with my batteries = WIN.

-- Spiff

I bought a Makita 12volt drill back when I worked construction.
Even that long ago I was an RVer.
I planned on doing this from the beginning.
Well the second battery finally bit it a couple of years ago and I made up a cord with some big alligators for it.
WOW !
I forgot how powerful that little puppy was !
:D :D :D :D
4 smilies

Recently picked up both a 1/2 drill and a 7 & 1/4 saw. Both Dewalt brushless with 20v lithium ion battery packs. Haven't tried to charge them on 12v yet, but after reading this may look at the 12v charger.
Just a heads up, Lowe's has a promotion going on right now where if you buy that circular saw online, they will give you a 6ah 20v battery for free. Nice savings there as the 6ah battery normally costs as much as the saw. The saw and battery were ready for pick up within an hour. Cha CHING!

Ballenxj said:
Just a heads up, Lowe's has a promotion going on right now where if you buy that circular saw online, they will give you a 6ah 20v battery for free. Nice savings there as the 6ah battery normally costs as much as the saw. The saw and battery were ready for pick up within an hour. Cha CHING!
You kind of have to search through their site to find that deal, so I thought I'd link right to it for you guys.
The bit about the free battery is right below the picture of the saw itself.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-...ular-Saw-with-Brake-Bare-Tool-Only/1000209865

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"Anybody hear how the new Harbor Freight-sold brands are doing? They sell at least two levels of 18volt cordless now."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Its all I buy, but there chargers won't shutoff by themselves. What I did is remove the wallwart and connect the wires to my triton rc charger. Thats how I fast charge them perfectly every time. The harbor freight 18 volt nicads are quite good, when properly charged they last a long time and at 12 dollars very inexpensive. 20 dollar for a drill including battery, you can't beat that. Works as good as my craftsman 19.2 volt drill.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Only thing don't rely on their chargers or put a 3 hour timer on them. Otherwise excellent tools for the price, for people who don't require pro quality. My craftsman nicads kept dying even when use with their charger, thats why I moved to the simpler harbor freight 18 volt system. Going on 3 years, the harbor freight nicads still work as good as new.[/font]

X4, 5??? on the Ryobi. 12V charger works great.

+1 for the Ryobi. If you are not in the trade and need a solid set, they work just great. I purchased on recommendation from Bob and couldn't be happier. No issues recharging via non-pure sine wave.

+1 for the Ryobis AND the older blue models can be found used for pennies and the new lithium batteries work just fine in them. I started with a full set of the blue tools (sawzall, circular saw, jig saw, drill, vaccum, 2 flashlights) plus a multi chemistry charger and 2 batteries for about $60. I've added 2 newer batteries and a 12v charger, swapped the bulbs in the flashlights to LED, and added a few select tools new like an Impact Drill and a Multitool.

I was impressed with the Ryobi set I purchased while out west. Even with the small batteries it would stir a 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud. I would put the Dewalt below that, but it has been 10 years since I've been in construction

That being said we have upgraded to a Makita with the 5a batteries. The availability of tools amazes me and they are at the top of the list. We are doing a bit of remodeling so the price was worth the investment