100 Watts of solar or portable battery charger?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Renergy 100 watt kit but uncertain if I need more panels. I am lost on finding the info on how much power that translates to. 

The other option I was considering is an electric cooler charged with a portable battery charger (no battery). Just plug it into the cigarette lighter and charge when I drive. Use the battery charger when stationary. Then use ice packs for between times. 

I need the fridge or cooler due to dietary restrictions. Unfortunately, there are also monetary restrictions too (aren't there always?)

Is there a chart that says the 100 watt kit powers? A place that suggests what kind of appliances and their power capabilities that work best?

I will probably drive everyday but not always far. I will probably be a snow bird.

I need to power a fridge and to charge my laptop.

That or a cooler and laptop. Stove will be butane and everything else will be battery powered.

a cooler will not freeze the ice packs plus they take much more power to run them. I run two 12v refrigerators and charge my lap top off of 175watts of solar into two 12v marine batteries. highdesertranger

The 12V coolers are pretty pointless for your needs.

12V compressor fridge is IMO the only way to go there, sometimes can snag a deal new under $400 or on CL, buy ice in the meantime.

You definitely need a battery bank separate from your vehicle's, a pair of Duracell 6V GC's at ~$200 for 200+AH is tremendous value.

In most normal conditions a 100w panel will often not supply enough to power even an efficient fridge when the weather gets hot.

If you are doing a lot of driving that can help, but likely need a second panel.

And a way to isolate the two banks when not charging, VSR/combiner or a $50 solenoid.

a 100 watt panel will max out at about 5 amps when the sun is overhead. In the winter you might not even get that.
A 12 volt compresser fridge will use about 25 amps total in 24 hours if set to 40 degrees. 
A 12 volt cooler uses about 3 amps when its running, it doesnt cycle on/off like the compresser fridge if left to run for 24 hours thats 72 amps.
Laptop depending how big, my 11 inch netbook uses less than 2 amps, but a 15 inch laptop might use 5 amps or more.

Nit: need to use AH per day

A fridge can use anywhere from ~15AH to 60+A per 24hrs, depends on so many variables.

For beers no big deal, but if critical for health gotta plan for the worst-case

I have 2- 100 watt renogy panels and 2- 100 ah battery bank agm. I power a 12 volt compressor fridge at 33* and I also power a 2000 watt inverter for a Keurig coffee machine in the am. I make 1 cup of coffee and it is a great set up for doing that plus charging of phone etc..

For a 12 volt fridge , look on craigslist , I picked mine up for 200 bucks 45 qt edgestar. has been a great purchase, I love not buying ice and not having wet food .

I also have the battery doctor vsr system , with a shut off switch, cause I have found out with the 2- 100 ah batteries , the unit will stay on even when off until the vehicle battery is at the same voltage as the aux batteries. So when I drive I flip a switch and the vsr is connected charging batteries then when I stop and park I flip the switch off and all is good.

I have the $335 Dometic CC from Dyers, 40 liter. It is a lighter duty compressor, but so far so good. 100 watts is minimal, but enough to get started with this time of year. You'll want to watch your actual charging and load carefully. How critical/cold your medical needs are is crucial and panels themselves aren't all that expensive. Charging a laptop is best in the afternoon when the battery is in its less power consumptive 'tail' charging. Turning off the cooler during the peak charging period can help.

If you have space a 120v chest freezer with an inverter is an option. I'd only do that with an older freezer where I could afford the loss should it break down due road vibration. Many claim good luck with this alternative.