100% STEALTH

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you can be stealth, mini vans are the most stealth as they are similar heights as other vehicles in a row. They blend in better, if you have a full size van it is more difficult but if nothing is hanging off of it then it is stealth, Stuff like a hightop or even worse my Stepvan then stealth means getting there well after hours and moving early. If you stand out amongst the other vehicles then you will be looked at and wondered about, but if you don't then you are 100% stealth, just another vehicle in amongst a bunch of them.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
My observations over the years go like this:

If you live in a cargo van, you are perceived to be either homeless, a criminal, or both.

If you live in an RV with all the windows blocked, you are perceived as homeless.

If you live in a window van with all of the windows blocked, you are perceived as questionable at best.

If you live in an RV or a window van, and your windows appear to be normal, and nobody thinks you're trying to hide anything, then you are elevated to being a tourist, a traveler, or somebody's visiting relative.  Unless you tell them otherwise, nobody will assume that you live in your vehicle full time.

Personally, I have never felt the need to hide, or worried about whether or not it was technically illegal for me to live the way  I do in some city or another.  If the cops don't like it, then they can ask me to move, but it is so very rare that it has never been an issue for me.  On the flip side, the neighbors know exactly what I'm doing, and that I am no threat to them.  I think by being open and up front with people/neighbors, it has solved the majority of any potential problems before they ever occurred.  Many people dream of this lifestyle, and are both curious and envious of people who have actually succeeded at it.  Instead of wishing to cause you trouble, they want to hear of your travels, or perhaps seek advice on how they could also become a fulltimer.

If people think you're a deadbeat, chances are you're not going to be accepted anywhere by anybody, except maybe a homeless camp, no matter what you're driving.  If you look and act happy and successful, then that's the way you're likely to be treated in kind.  

As a tourist, traveler, or fulltimer, you have achieved success in many people's eyes.  You're living the dream...

Thanks for your response!  So if you're parked at wallmart, and the cops come to "remove the van dwellers", and you are sleeping in an RV, you will likely be removed!  If you are in a cargo van, there's less of a chance.  Sleeping in a regular RV like an airstream, is illegal in many areas.  So I think we have to add one more to your list, which is a cargo van that no one knows there's someone living inside.   ;)

danman81 said:
Thanks for your response!  So if you're parked at wallmart, and the cops come to "remove the van dwellers", and you are sleeping in an RV, you will likely be removed!  If you are in a cargo van, there's less of a chance.  Sleeping in a regular RV like an airstream, is illegal in many areas.  So I think we have to add one more to your list, which is a cargo van that no one knows there's someone living inside.   ;)

They know, they ALWAYS know.  It's just a matter of whether or not they choose to do anything about it.  The more suspicious your vehicle is, or the more you try to hide, the more likely that they will mess with you.

If you are trying to hide, it  immediately raises the question of "Why are they trying to hide?", or "What are they hiding?".  A more obvious camper gives the impression that they have nothing to hide, so they might not be worth the bother.

While cargo vans may seemingly be common everywhere, I guarantee you that every cop, every security guard, and every neighbor knows exactly which cargo vans belong where at night.

What's with the 'grandmas' and the 'rural' areas?  I mostly camp in national forests and BLM land.  The only 'grandmas' I run across are those like me.  ;)

mockturtle said:
What's with the 'grandmas' and the 'rural' areas?  I mostly camp in national forests and BLM land.  The only 'grandmas' I run across are those like me.  ;)

Sorry @mockturtle, didn't mean to offend you, or any other grandmas out there who are van dwellers!  That was a bad judgment call on my end.  What I really mean is that I would be weary of staying in a rural place with a very small police force... you know the kind of place where there are lots of retired people that are closed minded and don't know what the internet is..  these are the types of people that call the cops on someone parked outside for doing nothing, and usually they will vote for hillary clinton too hahaha..  anyways, i hope i didn't offend you and I do know respectable 65+ people, so it was wrong of me to offend you like that.

Hey, I wasn't offended at all.  Just setting you straight.  :D

Off Grid 24/7 said:
They know, they ALWAYS know.  It's just a matter of whether or not they choose to do anything about it.  The more suspicious your vehicle is, or the more you try to hide, the more likely that they will mess with you.

If you are trying to hide, it  immediately raises the question of "Why are they trying to hide?", or "What are they hiding?".  A more obvious camper gives the impression that they have nothing to hide, so they might not be worth the bother.

While cargo vans may seemingly be common everywhere, I guarantee you that every cop, every security guard, and every neighbor knows exactly which cargo vans belong where at night.

Thanks Off Grid!   Obviously, this thread has generated a lot of interest, way more than I was expecting!  Reading and thinking through everyone's comments, I think your comment summarizes the main disagreement that we are having with each other in regards to stealth, so I'm just going to summarize again for everyone reading this thread for the first time because it's so long!  I may have my own opinion on this, but I do accept the fact that these are our opinions and in the end people have to make their own decision based on what they know. So, i'm very thankful for your viewpoint.  I hope this thread facilitates this discussion further, but one thing for sure is that this is an important topic!

So, to summarize, it seems like people are either in 1 of 2 camps:

1.  Stealth is unnecessary/overestimated because when you are in stealth mode and someone sees you being "stealthy", that is seen as "mysterious", and like Off Grid says, "What are they hiding?".  This is a valid point.  Imagine if you are parked next to a elementary school in a white unmarked van without windows -- people will just not compromise on the safety of their children and rightly so, and there are pedophiles that kidnap children out there.  The point here is that there are ways to unmask the "stealth", which makes you more of a target than someone who is more obviously living in their van.

2.  While the stealth van community appreciates and respects the first generation of van dwellers (i.e., in the counter-culture movement of the 60's and 70's), and we wouldn't even have van dwelling if it weren't for these pioneers, it is now 2016 and times have changed.  Security and privacy have become a huge issue in our modern society.  Data breaches in the world of computers is commonplace, technology has facilitated the transfer and leakage of personally identifiable information (PII) by anyone to the whole world and privacy and anonymity has become something that is considered highly valued, not just by bad guys, but good guys.  For example, many parents no longer allow their children to be photographed because they know these photos are uploaded to social media for access to anyone to see around the world, and who knows what could happen if they get into the wrong hands.  Scammers and thieves are abound.  I wouldn't even want my own photo to be taken by someone I don't know on the street without my knowledge for this very reason.  Imagine someone you don't know taking pictures of you on the beach in your bathing suit while you are getting a tan and sleeping.  I would get up and kick em in the nuts.  Privacy = security = safety.  In urban areas, this is magnified even more as you have more potential victims and more criminals.  People do not tolerate someone who is looking over their shoulder at their laptop or cell phone, just like you don't want someone looking over your shoulder while you enter your pin at an ATM machine.  It's not that these people are hiding something "bad", but they are concerned with their privacy for the sake of security.  It is the same concern for the modern day stealth camper -- and it is magnified even more because a lapse in security could mean immediate danger, not just by some scammer across the internet.  And, to tell these people that there is no way to achieve 100% stealth without giving a specific reason (i.e., giveaways like an AC unit on your roof, or even a vent) is probably not going to be enough to convince them to compromise their security and safety.  I myself was not convinced and that is the reason I started this thread -- to see if anyone could provide a real reason 100% stealth was unattainable.  What I have heard, and quite fairly, is that in certain areas (rural areas come to mind), 100% stealth is not attainable because "everyone knows everyone" and anything that is even slightly out of place sticks out like a sore thumb and can easily be called out.  I agree with that.  People that are old and have been living in the same home for 40 years can easily pick out anything that is not normally there, and have an affinity for calling the local police at the same time where they know the police by name.  Similarly, small towns where there are 2 police that are responsible for the entire area can easily pick out someone not usually there, even those driving regular cars from out of town. However, in a densely populated area, you don't have to be the only one parked in a lot -- and you can always find other commercial vehicles to park next to.  i can think of plenty of apartment complexes with free street parking outside and with other commercial vehicles parked there.  The number of cars and people in the area means you are hiding in plain sight.  If you make an effort to make your vehicle stealth using the methods described in this thread, you really can't be called out unless someone recognizes who you are or you do something stupid.  I would say there is 0% or close to 0% chance of you being called out in this type of situation, and thus 100% stealth has practically been achieved.  It's been pointed out that a lot of people in rural areas are very nice people and won't mess with you, but it only takes one person to ruin your life in today's age of security, and that is why people nowadays go to great lengths to protect their identity.  In addition, police are now cracking down on van dwellers in places like California -- I've heard of many stories where the police come to "evict" a group of van dwellers, but leave the commercial vehicles alone.  Van dwellers, for some reason or another, are seen as a threat to the fabric of society simply because it's outside the box and a lot people hate van dwellers, just as many people that accept and like van dwellers, and so they are targeted whether or not you think van dwelling is safe to do out in the open.  

I hope I didn't go too long and I know I did.  Thanks for reading and thanks everyone for contributing to this thoughtful debate!  In the end, i think both 1. and 2. are correct -- it all depends on location, location, location.  100% stealth is achievable in some places, just like it is unachievable in other places.  My solution, at least for now, would be to avoid those places and stick to safer and more secure areas!

Danman81,
Last night, as a full timer, I spent the night in the MIDDLE of the city right next to the front entrance of an elementary school. I rolled into a parking spot late and it was all I could find. I was super stealth like a B-2 Bomber. I smiled to myself as the night was 14 degrees and I didn't even have to turn the heat on because of the proper amount of insulation! In the AM on a Friday, as the parents stopped their cars one after the other to drop off their tiny tots, I got out of the back of my minivan gracefully with my shoes on, got into the front of my vehicle, and stealthfully drove away as I listened to the morning news. Not a look from anyone. Not a hesitation from anyone. I blended in......stealth! No rushing to work for me. I don't spend all that money on housing.
Belinda2-"under the work wave"

Belinda2 said:
Danman81,
   Last night, as a full timer, I spent the night in the MIDDLE of the city right next to the front entrance of an elementary school. I rolled into a parking spot late and it was all I could find. I was super stealth like a B-2 Bomber. I smiled to myself as the night was 14 degrees and I didn't even have to turn the heat on because of the proper amount of insulation! In the AM on a Friday, as the parents stopped their cars one after the other to drop off their tiny tots, I got out of the back of my minivan gracefully with my shoes on, got into the front of my vehicle, and stealthfully drove away as I listened to the morning news. Not a look from anyone. Not a hesitation from anyone. I blended in......stealth! No rushing to work for me. I don't spend all that money on housing.

HAHA that is so funny you happened to spend the night at an elementary school.  Honestly, it probably helps that you are female and drive a mini van!  Lots of talk about the stealth of mini vans!  I am going to look more into them.  A man in a white cargo van parking next to an elementary school is no joke, though, but someone like you can easily pull off this amazing 100% stealth that you have achieved!!!  And you hid in plain sight in a high traffic area -- that's going to be my tactic!  Plus your commute is going to be crazy short like you said.  Plenty of time to eat breakfast, take a shower, and walk the dog!

Oh, I forgot to mention in the pic attachment that I had on the 2nd page of this thread, I was at a bike-and-hike trailhead. 
This actual trail in West Virginia (Greenbrier River Trail) is open 24 hours daily, and throughout the United States, there are many trails that are available to be used 24-hours daily. 
In my experience, bike-and-hike trailheads have been an excellent choice.

white trash said:
I agree, Bitty... 
To this date, ever since I got this nice little mini-van, I've NEVER been hassled. 
Even when sleeping in truck stops.

I do feel that with my homemade blackout window curtains, it helps tremendously. 

Ignore my bike; I couldn't find a better pic of my fossil fuel carbon-producing rig-

Really love that mini-van!  100% stealth achieved! Do you use blackout curtains?

Yeah, I purchased some material at Joann Fabrics and the clerk that cut three yards said that it is actual headliner material. 
The material also has some foam behind it plus it has some sort of black stretchy material. 
I put it on cardboard panels that I cut from the shape of the windows, and used hot-melt glue. 

For some rigidity, I glued styrofoam behind the cardboard (opposite of the window side). 

Also, there is some gorilla tape around the edges, along with, some disposable plastic tablecloth on the rear sides.
I'll get a pic tomorrow evening, when I can break away. 

white trash said:
Yeah, I purchased some material at Joann Fabrics and the clerk that cut three yards said that it is actual headliner material. 
The material also has some foam behind it plus it has some sort of black stretchy material. 
I put it on cardboard panels that I cut from the shape of the windows, and used hot-melt glue. 

For some rigidity, I glued styrofoam behind the cardboard (opposite of the window side). 

Also, there is some gorilla tape around the edges, along with, some disposable plastic tablecloth on the rear sides.
I'll get a pic tomorrow evening, when I can break away. 

I like the idea behind the custom blackout panels that you can remove in the morning before you drive out.  If i had windows the rear, i would do that too.  The foam part would also insulate to a certain extent.  

I love your folding bike too!  The moderator said it was off-topic, but it is actually part of my original post, hehe.  So much innovation happening in the folding bike world right now, and I do think it's stealthier than a bike rack -- makes you less of a target too for thieves.  I'm looking right now at the A-Bike, which is also an electric bike, but to me it's more something like a very small small electric scooter than a real bike - and it's the smallest one i've ever seen folded up.  

http://a-bike.co.uk/

Of course you can never be 100% stealth.  The steps you take depends on where you plan on doing your camping.  If (for whatever reason) you want to "camp" next door to a grade school, a mini-van might be a good choice.  Truck stops work well for a big cargo van like mine.  It helps to not stay in the same spot day after day.  When I "urban camp", I ask myself how my van will appear to cops, neighbors, business owners, and business customers.  In Anaheim, Ca, I was parking in a business park that also had a limo service.  There were various kinds of limos parked all over, and my van looked like it could belong to any of a number of businesses.  I'd leave fairly early in the morning.  There were tow trucks constantly towing cars that were parked for a "sports center" nearby.  It worried me some, but I was always with my van when it was there.  Then early one morning I saw the mexican cutting the grass by my van.  Now, I doubt if he cared, but I'm sure he knew I was sleeping in the van.  He may have been told to report guys like me.  The fact that I was the only van camping in that business park worried me.  They certainly can't have large numbers of campers, and they would if they didn't control it.  

I've done well parking in the parking lot of a bar.  No one is going to care as long as I'm not staying there long term.  Any little strip mall that has a bar can work.  In the middle of the night it looks like you left your vehicle there.  In the morning, I'm gone.  I've also done well in the parking lot of the Moose Lodge.  I'm a moose, and when I visit a moose lodge I might ask if it would be cool for me to sleep in my van (before I order a beer).  They always say yes.  The cops and neighbors and businesses don't care what's in the moose parking lot, they all figure the moose members will take care of their own parking lot.  Even if someone suspects I'm sleeping in my van, at least I'm a moose (I show my card when I go in the moose lodge), and at least I have a nice van.  I don't think the cops really want to bother the moose.

One sure way to get "outed" is to hang around your vehicle all day.  When I was "camping" in Anaheim, if I didn't have anything to do I'd go to a nearby walmart.  They had people living there, same obvious vehicles often not being moved for days.  The people were poorly groomed and dressed, they looked like bums.  I can see why people who live in Anaheim in $400,000 houses wouldn't want them for neighbors.

Belinda2 said:
Danman81,

You are a Woman.

If you were a Man, The story may very well be different...

Other than the odd female teacher sleeping with a 15 year old boy, when do you hear about female pedophiles?

Since I'm a man who keeps his word, here are some pics that I just took before the light went down... 

As described in a previous post, I made the panels outa cardboard, picnic table plastic cloth, gorilla tape and finally, some actual automotive headliner-classed material bought from Joann Fabrics (purchased in May of 2015). 

Obviously, I pulled out the Bike to get more of a tidy look inside the van. Underneath the cot are two (2) Sterilite boxes, filled with garments and towels.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 62