100% STEALTH

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you act guilty, you are guilty. Act like you belong there and don't avoid people, just ignore them. In busy areas, set out traffic cones and wear a set of cover-alls from the thrift store if you want to be all James Bond about it. (The traffic cones are a good idea in the day time as they are common company policy for many companies. One by the back bumper and one by the front about one to two feet away, street side.)

John

bobbert, is that a Ford Transit full sized van? Nice folding bike.

ascii_man said:
I have been influenced by your writings, but this is a little confusing.  Don't you draw your shades overnight or block the sun during the heat?  I'm not really "trying to hide" as much as I sleep better in the dark, and I would prefer to not have my sleep interrupted by LEOs.  I'll be purchasing a conversion van, which have had blinds / drapes since time immemorial.

It is very rare that I ever close my shades, mainly only on a hot  day to block the sun if I'm not parked in the shade, which is where I'm usually parked in  the summer.

During the day, my tinted windows make it difficult to see in from outside.  At night, if I have lights on inside, I become much more visible, but it has never been a problem for me since I'm not trying to hide in the first place.

My shades are always open when I'm sleeping.  I want to be able to see out in all directions at all times.  I consider this to be a very important safety concern.  Safety comes from knowing what's going on around you at all times.  If the light is bothering me, I will use a sleep mask.  I find this preferable because it is the  easiest to remove to gain a full view in all directions.

Once my lights are out and I go to bed, I am virtually invisible in my van unless perhaps someone is shining a light in.  Since my covers are dark, even with a light shining in, I may still be very difficult to see.  If anybody is messing around my van, simply turning on a light is usually sufficient to send them scurrying away.

Since I normally park legally on the street near apartment complexes, the police aren't much of a concern for me.  I find one or two unexpected encounters with them a year to be acceptable.

RVTravel said:
bobbert, is that a Ford Transit full sized van? Nice folding bike.

Actually, It's a Transit Connect Wagon (long wheelbase, titanium). 
The Ford dealers are practically giving them away (especially right now). 
I was given $19,000 for a 2012 Forester and ended up paying less than $10,000 for this rig with less than 20 miles (purchased last year in April). It was a leftover from November, 2014.
Thanks for the compliment r/e the bike. It's a killer esp. with the Rohloff internal geared hub with gates belt drive.

highdesertranger said:
I feel the only one your fooling with stealth is yourself.

I'm curious where an opinion like this develops? I'm thinking it must be due to experience in certain types of locations?

I live in an area that sees lots of vehicle dwelling in all shapes and sizes, and it's technically illegal to sleep in vehicles here. Enforcement varies depending on time of year and neighbor complaints. Lack of stealth is pretty much a guarantee that you will be talking to the police rather quickly, with varying results. However, I have friends with near 100% stealth setups that live here year round that never attract any unwanted attention.

I guess it depends on where you are, but here at least, stealth makes all the difference...

What highdesertranger may mean is the cops know you are there but are not enforcing the law. If a non-cop complains about you, then they have no choice but to do something about it.

Thanks for the info. Yes, Bike Friday is among the best. One day I will have to get one of those. I do have a Montague Paratrooper now.

I suppose that could be true if you're parking away from everything and are the only vehicle around, but an unmodified cargo van can avoid detection in populated areas...

if someone is sleeping in a vehicle, in a certain area night after night, the police know. they don't do anything because they have bigger fish to fry. if the police don't know then they are a pretty poor police force. I can even figure out in pretty short order if someone is sleeping in their vehicle, if I can tell everybody can tell. I live in So Cal, a heavily populated area, where there are millions of vans it's not hard to pick out the ones being lived in. around here the people living in vehicles tend to stay in areas that they know they will not get hassled, I know of several of these areas. so I don't believe, at least around here that you are fooling anybody by thinking nobody knows. highdesertranger

I do cities all over the country, and by my observations, the more you try to hide, the more noticeable you become.

People are suspicious and afraid of anybody trying to hide.

Off Grid wrote, "People are suspicious and afraid of anybody trying to hide." EXACTLY. highdesertranger

To the majority of John Q. Public, dwellers are invisible until they do something to make themselves stand out.  Where I am in central Missouri, I have been looking for dwellers, and see a number of vehicles that most people do not.  There are places where all cars are known, and just pulling over to check a map will get several private home security cameras turning to look you over.  There are other places where vans gather at dusk, and are gone by the start of business.  As long as there is not someone trashing things, everyone gets along.  LEO cruses the lot making sure there are no problems, and even do well checks if they know someone was not feeling good. 

Then there are those that hate everyone, and call to get people rousted.   :dodgy:

RVTravel said:
Thanks for the info. Yes, Bike Friday is among the best. One day I will have to get one of those. I do have a Montague Paratrooper now.

Oh yeah... I've seen those... I had to do a google on that one... They look really well-designed! 
Do you like yours? 

I do like it just fine. It is a 26" wheel and heavier than my last mountain bike due to the overbuilt folding mechanism. I mainly ride on the street but have done a San Juan Hut to Hut trip (mostly dirt roads) and a Katy Trail ride last year (about 200+ miles on a rails to trails route in Missouri).

For me, stealth is an argument against the "Nirvana Fallacy". What the "NF" says in a nutshell is that because the solution is not perfect, lets not even bother trying and I wholeheartedly disagree. Just because other vandwellers etc. may pick you out of a corner in an industrial park, city street etc. is no argument for sticking out like a sore thumb. Trying to play the swinging dick and saying "Here I am and what business is it of yours?" comes across as arrogant and foolhardy. Sometimes you have to go along to get along, so blending in with your enviroment to the best of your ability only makes sense.

When I'm traveling, I do stealth in plain site - if that makes sense. I drive a work truck towing a cargo trailer conversion. I look exactly like what I am - a trades person traveling for work. Maybe I'm fortunate but I've never once been approached by LEOs and told to move. I've stopped in every place from small town parks to Walmarts in big cities, to just a side street in Ensenada. I think the key, as others have said, is to not appear as a problem. If you dress cleanly and have good hygiene, don't over stay in one place, and don't hang out with a bad crowd, I don't think it matters so much what you drive and/or live in.

WoW -- the response for this post was amazing!  Must be a big question for a lot of people!  I can't even respond to everyone's response because there are so many, but a lot of really good points have been made by a lot of people!

Just to add some quick comments:

I know it seems like a lot to worry about so many things for the sake of stealth, but there have also been some responses that are pro-stealth, and I would have to agree with them because "it only takes one".  I'm sure there are many great wonderful old grandmas out there, and i love to stop by farms and buy fruit7s and jams and stuff like that from them on the side of the road, but you only need one old grandma out there who sees you and doesn't like you because she doesn't know any better and she calls the cops.  BAM.  These are type of people that barely even know what the internet is and voted for Hillary Clinton for sure, hehehe.  There have been some comments about knowing the area you are in and I would completely agree with that, absolutely huge, 100%.  I could start a whole new thread about what types of areas are the best in terms of police and the respectability of the police there, but i'll digress.  The point is that I would like an design the most stealth van reasonabbly possible.  Once my setup is complete, I won't have to do as much thinking of course, but I'm starting from scratch and actually it's really fun to think about this kind of stuff to tell you the truth.  

I liked the idea of a minvan, but a minivan is just too small for my needs.   I really like the idea of a sunroof to create a flush vent, and there are sunroofs that completely pop off, so that's even more stealthy.  The only thing here for me I have to consider tho is the loss of solar panel space.  

For the people who travel mostly in rural areas, I would say, and i think some of these people would agree, stealth is harder to obtain and therefore not as important.  Not only do you have the grandmas i talked about, but you have less people, and you will stick out more no matter what you drive, and it will be more difficult to find parking where you're not the only commercial vehicle there.  I agree it is quite important to be nice to the people you meet and just talk to people and put a good vibe out there, but in rural areas, it does make you look more suspicious if you look like you are trying to hide and someone sees you trying to hide.  The other problem I see is that cities are where the jobs are, and if you work, you will make more money working in the city in general.  The city I live in has the number 1 worst traffic in the united states, and I could imagine it being super easy to blend in with all the traffic and people.  I see white cargo vans everywhere I go at all times of day and night and nothing looks suspicious about that if you're in the city.  If your van is setup in 100% stealth mode, I really do believe it can be achieved in the city, but not in rural areas because weird looking vans stick out, but cargo vans parked right next to other cargo vans do not stick out, even if you were looking specifically for van dwellers.  I know some people might disagree with me on this thread, but this is my opinion and belief.  100% stealth can be achieved.  Of course, I want to be open and tell others how I sleep at night to my friends, but there are benifits to stealth as well.  And at the end of the day, you're tired and are just looking for a safe place to sleep.  You don't want to be bothered by anyone including LE -- that would suck.  Where would you even drive to, only to be bothered again?  You might as well not even go back to sleep at that point and just wait until the next night to sleep.  I want to be stealth because I could not tolerate anyone who was messing with me in the middle of the night, period.  There was one post I was reading about someone who thought their van was being broken into, when it was just a police man messing with them, and if they got out of the van with a weapon or something like that because they were scarred and didn't know it was the police, it would have ended very badly that's for sure.   

Also, remember that cargo vans don't have to come with any windows.  There's nothing to block, and it dosn't look suspicious because you aren't blocking out your windows with shades or dark tinting.  In the city, you see these windowless cargo vans all the time.  

@bcbullet, loved your comment also and that is how i see it too.  For the comment about being clean vs dirty -- I would say looking clean is better.  People who are dirty look more suspicous to me than someone who is more clean-cut.  That "smelly dude" in the "old rusty van" outside could easily be "the homeless type" and be targeted.  The clean guy who drives a work van probably has a job and that's probably his van for working.  It really is about who you hang out with and where you are.  

Sorry i can't respond to every comment, I really didn't think I would receive so many!  We may not all be in exact agreement but at least we have a place to talk about it!

If anyone's interested mounting flexible solar panels for stealth, here's another thread!

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Choosing-the-BEST-ADHESIVE

GotSmart said:
I am starting this thread as the title will attract posters that the original thread would not.

1.  Do you see yourself as a van dweller as being "homeless" or do you just have a home on wheels?

2.  Does anyone see pressure from others to show mass consumption and "respectability"

3.  Is it really any of their business?

Here's my response!

1.  Home on wheels!  I just want to live my life to the fullest, without walls or borders.   

2.  Yes!  This is called the Joneses effect!  When you have a great education, a great job, great friends, great church, great everything, you're highly skilled in the work you do ...  you're expected by society to live a certain way.  If you live in a van, you will be called homeless, often by people who make less money than you do.  So i say, if that makes me homeless, what does that make you?  lol.

3.  No!  But, and there is a but!  Privacy in today's society is becoming more and more harder to hold onto.  Stealth, to me, is about security more than anything else.  I wouldn't want people to know I'm living in my van just like I wouldn't want someone hacking into Target and stealing my identity.

If your home has a motor, it is a motorhome.  :angel:  

I gave up caring about what society thought of me a long time ago.  I am eccentric.  I live as I chose.  We all are.  It is contagious through the internet.   :cool:

Being secritive about how you live, and living stealth is two different things.

You can fool some of the people all the time, and all the people some of the time, but you cant fool everyone all the time.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/zappos-ceo-lives-trailer-13-things/story?id=32928943